Kolzig

Nintendo 3DS

Also this:

LDBn3-VgEIM

I'm surprised at how candid this looks. It doesn't seem too forced, which is good. Nintendo is weird.

Robin William's beard -- starring soon in the autobiographical movie of Walt Whitman! Or Charles Darwin!

I find all this stuff with Robin and Zelda Williams very charming. It's a unique story and beautifully handled. Props.

/v/ hated it, and Zelda, bless her cotton socks, overran the first three pages for a while. I had no idea what was going on until I checked her Twitter.

Somehow I knew that fact about Robin Williams long before that commercial ever came out. Not even sure why or how.

Nope, it's just the first Game Boy Color release for the Virtual Console, it does have save states, which are great for the crane mini game! The rest is exactly the same.

STOP CHEATING THE CRANE GAME!

Link's Awakening should be black and white, anyone who disagrees can go die.

You get an extra dungeon in the DX version though! The tiling of the colors could have been much better but I expect garish weird coloring from Game Boy Color games, so it's no big deal.

I'm confused. Is this or isn't this the game where there's a beach and dungeons and it has a mirror game, sort of, called something else?

Probably, there's a beach or two, but I'd need a refresher on what the mirror game is.

Also everyone who hasn't played it yet, start stealing from the store!

I'm confused. Is this or isn't this the game where there's a beach and dungeons and it has a mirror game, sort of, called something else?

No that was oracle of ages/seasons.

I've been playing Ocarina of Time feverishly for the [N]Gamer review and can say with some decisive gestures that this game is still awesome after thirteen years. The flow and structure are so ridiculously good, well-paced. Collecting golden Skulltulas is every bit as addictive now as it was then.

And the remake really does the game justice. Hyrule looks fantastic in 3D and I'm loving the new interface. Did you know you can actually look around and aim your projectiles by physically moving the handheld? This actually makes it really precise (in contrast to the horrible bullshit you usually have to do with the control stick). Doing the shooting galleries is, for the first time ever, actually fun instead of a chore.

Yeah, I think that's my favorite new feature; the gyroscope-enhanced aiming. Goddamn good game.

Man I want this. Why do Nintendo games always come out on Sundays? The store I would go to is open 11 to 5 on Sunday, and I work from 10 to 6. Fuckers.

it's so corny and so cheesy and so the worst...

But goddamn if that beard doesn't just turn it around again.

Is it me or is the eShop terribly messed up?

Can someone please confirm that the US and Europe are getting completely different games for the Virtual Console?

I hear the US got Tennis and actual DSiWare titles while Europe got Double Dragon and some Battleship rip-off.

Is this true? Why on Earth would Nintendo do that? You could claim that maybe it's a copyright issue, but Tennis is from Nintendo and was released worldwide, it makes no sense for them to do this. :erm:

Okay, the eShop IS a fucking mess (though I hear the DSi shop was worse, which is depressing). Why can't I have s imple description of a game before I'm supposed to plunk down 12 Euro Points for it? Why are there announcements and other bullshit in the list on the first page? A mess.

But it's not quite the mess you mean, Tanu. Unless Spain and Holland are differently, I DO have Tennis and an Arkanoid clone in the classics lineup, and a DSi section filled with games. So, maybe something's wrong on your machine, or Spain has different stuff going on...?

Hey, remember that time when your country invaded my country and we eventually kicked your ass out? That was sweet, that was a sweet time :tup:

Hmm, you're right. It looks like Europe is getting some VC games a week before the US? Maybe it's to compensate the lack of DSiWare games?

And you're right about the other thing too, all we get is screenshots. You could google for the game's info, but you shouldn't, it should be there.

Those were some crazy times... since we didn't have any video games to play back then, all we could do to pass time was conquer each other. Sometimes I get the invasion itch when it's "dry season" in the release schedule.:deranged:

So my wife is awesome and surprised me with a 3DS for my birthday (it's tomorrow) over the weekend when we flew to London for the Hard Rock Calling festival. I kind of had a feeling I would be getting one but was expecting it on my birthday which is probably why she gave it to me earlier (sneaky woman!). Anyways, I'm enjoying it so far but I've only got SSF4, any recommendations? I'm considering getting Ghost Recon: Shadow wars and Pilot Wings but am definitely open to other suggestions.

Also I had a look at the shop and was surprised at the price point for the Gameboy games, £5.40 for Links awakening!! Crikey, is it worth it though?

Anyways, I'm enjoying it so far but I've only got SSF4, any recommendations? I'm considering getting Ghost Recon: Shadow wars and Pilot Wings but am definitely open to other suggestions.

Personally, Ridge Racer 3D was my favorite of the launch games, but i've always been a sucker for the series. If you could stand to play a wildly unrealistic and unflinchingly arcade-minded racer, you can't go wrong with it. Incredibly fast, challenging, and fun.

Fair warning about Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars, it's a very fun game, but a lot of people have had problems with it. Everything from the game simply locking up to much stranger and more esoteric problems like the quick save causing the mission scripting to spawn additional enemies, which is something i even encountered.

Also, now that Ocarina of Time 3D is out, that's an easy recommendation. It's a very faithful remake with lots of small technical improvements and a pretty gorgeous visual upgrade. It hasn't really changed in any meaningful way, but given that the game was arguably already nearly perfect, it is perhaps preferable to needless revisionism. It's just something you'll want to consider before putting down money on it, because assuming you've played Ocarina before, this is still that same game, just much prettier. Nevertheless, it's easily the best game on the system right now.

Also I had a look at the shop and was surprised at the price point for the Gameboy games, £5.40 for Links awakening!! Crikey, is it worth it though?

Donkey Kong 94 and Link's Awakening DX are both great games, two of the best original gameboy games, but whether or not they're really worth buying depends largely on whether or not you've already played them. Unlike Ocarina, nothing has changed with those, and if you have copies of those lying around somewhere, you do not need these versions.

You should also take a look at the DSi Ware thread.

I have Pilotwings and Rayman on cart and Donkey Kong, Super Mario Land, and Link's Awakening on VC. I may be a bit biased about Link's Awakening because it is my favourite Zelda game ever (read: I am horribly biased) but it's totally worth the money. Really, I find that all three of the VC games that I own are. They're some fantastic things. I had my reservations about Donkey Kong 94 at first, but on forumites' recommendations I picked it up and am loving it.

Anyway, enough chatter. Time for me to go pick up my copy of OoT3D!

Cheers for the replies guys! I'll see what I get tomorrow from my family and take it from there :)

Ridge Racer does sound like it's right up my alley, seeing as I'm quite a big fan of Burnout Paradise which is a very arcadey type racer. A bit worried about the Ghost Recon problems though ;(

Also, regarding Zelda, I've only ever played about 2 hours of OoT on N64 as I used to play it at my friends house, and I've never played Links Awakening :getmecoat

I did watch the links Awakening Video on the 3DS and it did seem slightly different to regular 2D Zeldas(in a good way). I might grab it me thinks.:tup:

For the $6 or whatever that they want for it, you'd be well served to. It's a goddamned great game, and holds its own handily against any other 2D Zelda out there.

I read somewhere that apparently the reason Link's Awakening was so quirky was that it was inspired by Twin Peaks. :eek:

Edited by syntheticgerbil

Now that I'm going deeper into Ocarina for the first time in years, I do notice parts where the game is rough around the edges. Some of the dungeon designs aren't quite as tight as they could be (in the Shadow Temple you can get into a situation where you have to redo a whole part of the dungeon if you make a mistake which Nintendo didn't keep in mind). Also, some of the boss fights are messy.

The Water Temple boss can be killed easily by 'cheating' the system. The designers probably thought up an elaborate environment where you had to jump from one platform to the next to avoid the flailing arm, but you can easily stand at the side and kill the boss from there without ever going into the pool. Also, the Shadow Temple boss is horrible. The camera is completely incapable of dealing with the amount of movement happening there, so it's a chore to do, a real slog.

They actually tried to fix some of the temples issues, the Water Temple is much easier now thanks to the lines that tell you where the switches are.

Except for the bongo boss, I found all the rest of the bosses easier than I remembered. Also, the bongo boss seems so out of place in this game.

My only real issue with Ocarina of time is how useless money is, you only need money if a Like Like eats your shield robe, but the last time I got attacked by one it actually dropped the shield it ate!

It's such a contrast to Link's Awakening, where you have to grind forever to get enough money for the bloody bow!

I know what you mean! I scrambled to get the largest wallet, but I've been running around with the max limit of Rupees for half the game now and haven't bought anything! It's so weird.

And you're completely right that the game seems much easier than it used to be. I remembered parts of it to be so tricky, and yet now everything feels so casual =D