Kolzig

Nintendo 3DS

I find it a bit worrying that nothing has happened with the BSOD issue yet. Nintendo has had plenty of time to look at it, and determine if it's a hardware issue (it's related to wifi), a software issue (Shadow Wars is particularly unstable, even though it has no online functionality), or both. It's not a huge issue for me, as I don't imagine I'll need wifi, and probably won't use the thing much at all, especially now that Capcom has decided to fuck me up the ass by not releasing the new Phoenix Wright game in English, but it would be nice to know if I bought a defective unit or not.

Edited by toblix

I've got like... in the area of fifteen to twenty hours on Shadow Wars, and i have had no problems with the game. (Though i haven't been playing with wi-fi on, just in case. You know.) The total amount of time i've spent on my 3DS is probably up in around a hundred hours, and i've had a pretty flawless experience with the system.

Aside from that, not every launch defect is the Red Ring of Death.

Both the DS and the PSP had launch woes that were eventually forgotten with time. (And... really basically every system post rise-of-the-internet.) Whatever the problem is or was, it might have been a small enough issue that Nintendo was able to deal with it quietly and move on, replacing defective units as those afflicted called in for support.

I guess... If you're really concerned, call up Nintendo support and see what they have to say. I unno. For these known launch issues, they'll probably replace your system without fuss. If you wait a long time until your system really fails, they might not.

and probably won't use the thing much at all, especially now that Capcop has decided to fuck me up the ass by not releasing the new Phoenix Wright game in English

The second Edgeworth game? The DS game? I know there was some talk out of one of the branches of Capcom or something saying they weren't going to localize it, but later they tried to spin it as there being no plans to localize it currently. It really doesn't look good though, they'll probably skip over it to publish more 3DS games instead. (I'll be upset if it doesn't make it out of Japan, it'll be the only one i haven't played.)

If you're talking about the Phoenix Wright vs Layton game for the 3DS, i have heard nothing regarding whether or not that game will be released outside of Japan, those recent stories weren't relevant to this game. (In fact, it probably bodes well for it, by not releasing the DS game, they might be skipping ahead to release the 3DS game as soon as possible.)

Yes, get in touch. Nintendo tend to be very reasonable with replacements AFAIK, so if you think your unit is bummed — rather common for the first wave of units — have it sorted while Nintendo's feeling the PR pressure.

In other news, I noticed the other week my original DS Lite has just developed cracks on the hinges. :(:tdown::tdown::tdown:

In other news, I noticed the other week my original DS Lite has just developed cracks on the hinges. :(:tdown::tdown::tdown:

At least that's just a cosmetic defect.

The triggers on my DS lite don't even work anymore, and my DSi was starting to bug out too. I mean, and i know people who have had the same problems with multiple DS's, and i've done my google searching and found that it's fairly known issue. Seems to just be wear and tear/dirt on the contacts/combination thereof, but it doesn't make sense. Why are the newer-model DS's so finicky like that? I've never had a problem like this with any other handheld or controller. My original DS still works flawlessly, and i sure put that thing through a hell of a lot more abuse than my DS lite or DSi ever saw.

I guess i could take my own advice and see what Nintendo support has to say, but... I unno... I'm lazy. Heh.

Such a pain in the ass though, i hope the 3DS is built better, but there's no real way to tell this early on.

At least that's just a cosmetic defect.

The triggers on my DS lite don't even work anymore, and my DSi was starting to bug out too. I mean, and i know people who have had the same problems with multiple DS's, and i've done my google searching and found that it's fairly known issue. Seems to just be wear and tear/dirt on the contacts/combination thereof, but it doesn't make sense. Why are the newer-model DS's so finicky like that? I've never had a problem like this with any other handheld or controller. My original DS still works flawlessly, and i sure put that thing through a hell of a lot more abuse than my DS lite or DSi ever saw.

I guess i could take my own advice and see what Nintendo support has to say, but... I unno... I'm lazy. Heh.

Such a pain in the ass though, i hope the 3DS is built better, but there's no real way to tell this early on.

My DSi's R button stopped working about a month after I got it. Turns out some pocket lint has gotten wedged in there. You may have tried it already, but after about 15 seconds with a can of compressed air, it was working fine and has continued to do so for the two years since. Maybe give it a shot if you haven't?

Naah, i've tried canned air, it does nothing.

I could probably try and rip the whole unit apart to clean it, but that'd void the warranty that i'm not taking advantage of anyways.

that'd void the warranty that i'm not taking advantage of anyways

I'm sensing some sort of acceptable resolution to this standoff... It's coming to me through the aether... I'm getting a "W," Sno - do you know anyone whos name starts with a W?

I'd just like to share that this evening I got a streetpass tag from a guy who' declared dream is "to be a wizard." That is all.

YEEES! I finally got my first Street Pass hit! I only had to go to the capital's busiest street! :hah:

I could see this person had TONS of hits, I did enter a game store that right beside the restaurant I was eating at, so that would make sense?

I also show it off to my sister and others... If you want them to really see how cool the 3DS can be, make them play Street Fighter 3DS in the "over the shoulder" view mode! :tup:

Too bad I didn't get a new puzzle, I think you can only get a new one from a different region, which is stupid... but coming from Nintendo, I believe it!

No, that's not the case. I have three different puzzles going on now, none of them complete unfortunately, but it definitely didn't require a 3DS from a different region.

In other news, Rayman 3D is freaking rad, at least for someone who's never played the game before. I'm at 30% completion and have loved every bit. The 3D stuff has actually been really well implemented too. Excited as hell for the end of the month when the 3DS shop goes live though. I need more good stuff to be playing!

With Streetpass Mii's it is unfortunately the case that you need to 'tap' your visitors within the hour you receive them, otherwise they'll not give you a puzzle piece or go along in the Quest. I've gotten access to all the puzzles by the way.

I really hope Nintendo will give us more content for the Mii's, DLC style.

No, that's not the case. I have three different puzzles going on now, none of them complete unfortunately, but it definitely didn't require a 3DS from a different region.

In other news, Rayman 3D is freaking rad, at least for someone who's never played the game before. I'm at 30% completion and have loved every bit. The 3D stuff has actually been really well implemented too. Excited as hell for the end of the month when the 3DS shop goes live though. I need more good stuff to be playing!

By region I mean state, I forget it's called different in other countries. This person was from the same state as me.

Which Rayman is Rayman 3D? If it's Rayman I might be interested because I didn't like how it played on the PC.

With Streetpass Mii's it is unfortunately the case that you need to 'tap' your visitors within the hour you receive them, otherwise they'll not give you a puzzle piece or go along in the Quest. I've gotten access to all the puzzles by the way.

I really hope Nintendo will give us more content for the Mii's, DLC style.

OH! So that's why I didn't get anything? It did say it had been over an hour since the event happened.

Why would they do that? I wish I had know before because who knows if I'll ever get another Streetpass. ;(

Rayman 3D is a remake of Rayman 2: The Great Escape that was on N64 and (I think) PS2. It was a game I really wanted to play back when it came out, but being 10 I had no disposable income. Now it's just good times all around.

Rodi, are you sure that's the case? I've been able to get puzzle pieces from people that it said I met 4 hours before getting the notification. Maybe you have to go into the puzzle swap and find mii stuff within an hour of acknowledging it, not actually receiving it?

Rayman 3D is a remake of Rayman 2: The Great Escape that was on N64 and (I think) PS2. It was a game I really wanted to play back when it came out, but being 10 I had no disposable income. Now it's just good times all around.

According to the game's wiki page, Rayman 2 has been on... deep breath... Nintendo 64, PC, Dreamcast, Playstation, Playstation 2, Nintendo DS, Nintendo 3DS, PSN, and iOS. (And Gameboy Color?)

It's a great game though, and some people are saying the 3DS port is one of the best versions of it. I never did finish Rayman 2 when i rented it on the Dreamcast, I'd like to hear more about how the 3DS port is. It's not busted in any really egregious or upsetting way, is it? Is there anything noticeably wrong?

Having never played it before, I don't know what to tell you. It controls great with the analog stick and face buttons. The only downside is that the camera is a bit dodgy, but being a game from 1998(1999?) I can forgive that. It just feels like a really good port, and the 3D is subtle but also feels like it really helps with precision platforming. If you haven't played the game before, highly recommended. If you have, you probably need to decide for yourself how much you want to replay the exact same game with some fancy 3D stuff added in.

Rodi, are you sure that's the case? I've been able to get puzzle pieces from people that it said I met 4 hours before getting the notification. Maybe you have to go into the puzzle swap and find mii stuff within an hour of acknowledging it, not actually receiving it?

There's a lot of confusion on the matter. I've heard reports to the contrary to what you're saying. Suffice it to say it's an opaque system that could do with some clarity. Some glasnost, if you will.

Lol. Well I was an early adopter of the 360 and I haven't regretted it. Although I will when it RRoDs on me again.

So 3D gamers: Is 3D still awesome? Does it add anything to the games? Will it stay with us, or is it just a gimmick that we'll forget about in a few years?

I would trade the 3D for the next Phoenix Wright game in a heartbeat. Fucking Capcom assholes.

That depends. As long as it still requires glasses and such on TVs, I think it should remain constrained to the portable sphere. That said, I've found it does actually serve a purpose in both Pilotwings and Rayman whenever precision is required. It really does feel more natural to be platforming in 3D, as everything seems to be that much more tangible. Anything requiring that degree of third person accuracy I think can be helped by it. That said, I'm also very happy that Rayman uses the 3D very subtly. Once you've been playing for a while, it doesn't stand out as anything big, but it really does feel like it helps the game.

Basically, I hope that 3D becomes a useful tool in games rather than a bullet-point on the box to help them sell. 3D for 3D's sake is a gimmick. Used sparingly and to good effect though, I've been really impressed with how it's worked out so far.

That depends. As long as it still requires glasses and such on TVs, I think it should remain constrained to the portable sphere. That said, I've found it does actually serve a purpose in both Pilotwings and Rayman whenever precision is required. It really does feel more natural to be platforming in 3D, as everything seems to be that much more tangible. Anything requiring that degree of third person accuracy I think can be helped by it. That said, I'm also very happy that Rayman uses the 3D very subtly. Once you've been playing for a while, it doesn't stand out as anything big, but it really does feel like it helps the game.

Basically, I hope that 3D becomes a useful tool in games rather than a bullet-point on the box to help them sell. 3D for 3D's sake is a gimmick. Used sparingly and to good effect though, I've been really impressed with how it's worked out so far.

I think 3D could be a brilliant aid for certain kinds of games, absolutely. I reasonably sure i even read an interview with Miyamoto where he expressed the value of being able to truly gauge distances while making jumps in a 3d platformer.

As for Pilot Wings, i had some problems with that experience, in that the higher 3d depth settings were really hard on my eyes. It's that you have a big foreground object sitting right in front of the camera, with especially distant vistas immediately behind it. I don't know how to describe it other than it's like walking around holding your hand five inches in front of you eyes at all times. (Pilotwings situating the targeting reticle for the shooting stages into the depth of the 3d is pretty brilliant though.)

I feel like developers have a lot to learn about stereoscopy in games, and my experience with Pilotwings has me worried about other 3rd-person perspective games on the 3DS. (To be fair though, i did find Pilotwings still completely playable with the 3d at lower levels, though it's also the only game i've played on the system i find i have to turn down.)

The autostereoscopy shown on the 3DS though, i'm pretty sold on it. I do feel like there is value in having real depth perception in a 3D game, but it has to be like it is here on the 3DS, it has to be unobtrusive.

Well, personally I have yet to play anything for more than about 5 minutes with the 3D set higher than 25-50%. It really does depend on the game, but even at the lower settings I've been finding it an immense help.

Japan finally had the firmware update that should enable you to use the eShop, only to say it's coming out in June? Seriously?!:frusty:

I know it's just two weeks more, but I literally have nothing to play now!

The eShop is finally up and... it's up for maintenance? What the...?!:eek:

Why did they put it up if it's not ready?

EDIT: Some people can access the shop, but some are getting a maintenance message? What is going on here!?:eek:

Edited by Tanukitsune

Excitebike is free until July 7th, so there's no rush. Wait for them to sort out the issues.