Kolzig

Nintendo 3DS

If you don't like fighters because of all complex moves, SSFIV has an easy mode where the super moves are buttons on the lower screen and you can assign super moves to every other button.

More and more fighters seems to be doing this, which is why I probably still play them! (Seriously, complex button combinations need to go the way of the dodo) :mock:

Even though i'm not a fan of Street Fighter, and i find SF4 incredibly tough on the timing and execution, i feel like easy operation modes are heresy. There are better ways to make fighting games accessible than just giving less experienced players a game-changing crutch. ( < This is the important part of what i'm saying, don't ignore this.)

I mean, and for SF4, being able to map things like charge moves or 720's to a single input is insanity, it completely changes that game. (Sonic booms on reaction, standing 720's!) There are a lot of moves in that game that are balanced by being difficult to do, or have to be buffered by other moves. (The two examples above are big elements of why easy operation stuff doesn't work on the existing SF framework, those are huge game-changing balance issues brought up by your preferred control scheme.)

I feel like if you want an accessible fighting game, those ground-level mechanics should be made more accessible, and you shouldn't just lay a flimsy easy-op system over top of what is there. (Hey, that other big fighting game that just came out? MK9? Super, super accessible. Can you pull both triggers at the same time? You can do a match-ending X-ray. See, and beyond that, it's still an incredibly deep and nuanced game. Accessibility done right.)

Has there been any new game releases in US and Europe for 3DS?

I know there are no new great games released since launch, but has there been even any shovelware?

As I heard last week that there is already around 40 games in Japan, and like always Japan gets the most games for these platforms in total, but it's interesting to notice that there seems to be almost no releases before June in the western countries.

I know there are no new great games released since launch, but has there been even any shovelware?

As I heard last week that there is already around 40 games in Japan, and like always Japan gets the most games for these platforms in total, but it's interesting to notice that there seems to be almost no releases before June in the western countries.

Actually looks like there's going to be a fair amount of shovelware in the next month or two, but that's no fun... Uhh...

Yeaaah... The 3DS is going to be pretty dead for a couple months in NA and Europe, sadly. There's a Raving Rabbids platformer that looks kind of fun, but apparently really isn't, and some kind of weird puzzle shooter thing that looks utterly incomprehensible to me. Other than those, i don't know that there's anything interesting in the next few months until some of the bigger Nintendo stuff finally starts hitting.

Oh, also more fighting games.

DoA Dimensions and BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II are supposed to be out by the end of may.

If DoA is your thing, that should be pretty rad, it's a brand new game built off of DoA4.

If Blaz is your thing, you're better off just buying Continuum Shift for the 360/PS3 and getting all the patches and DLC, because the handheld update wont have the near-perfect online play. (Though i think i'll probably get it, because i love that game and wouldn't mind have a portable version of it.)

Are you sure about the Japan thing? Apart from one or two niche anime or "moe" stuff I don't see anything different, the rest is still "TBA".

If we don't get the anime games it's probably due to licensing problems and the niche "moe"-ish games... It's dating sims and "witch touching" if you know what I mean.

Well I haven't been there to see it myself, but that's why my dear wife told me when she was reading the news from Japan.

I know there have been a lot of delays and even cancellations as an after effect to the tsunami, but still they seem to be getting more releases than the rest of the world.

I got my first streetpass hit! At work, no less. One of the 6 people who came to a 1pm show of Barney's Version yesterday apparently had a 3DS in their pocket. That was a really fucking nice surprise.

As for games, as soon as the 3DS shop hits in a few weeks, I should be alright until Star Fox and Zelda in June and July. As I recall, they announced that they'll be launching with either Super Mario Land or Link's Awakening, and having either one of those on my 3DS will significantly increase its awesome. Also, being able to bring over my DSiware purchases means all those ArtStyle games will be coming with me as well. For those that didn't have a DSi, you owe it to yourselves to pick up Pictobits and BoxLife as soon as you have access to the DSiware shop.

EDIT: Also, there's this. Free Excitebike, yay!

Edited by miffy495

Also, being able to bring over my DSiware purchases means all those ArtStyle games will be coming with me as well. For those that didn't have a DSi, you owe it to yourselves to pick up Pictobits and BoxLife as soon as you have access to the DSiware shop.

Dude, yes, those ArtStyle games are freaking great. Which ones have you played? Just those two? That ArtStyle series is wonderful though, even on the Wii. Cubello off of Wii-Ware is i think maybe one the raddest block-matching puzzle games i've ever played.

Also, if we're going to talk DSi-Ware briefly, also let me strongly endorse X-Scape. (

) At a basic level, it's like old-school Atari Battlezone, except built around that is a large sprawling open-ended world and a quest system. It is generally gorgeous and amazing. It should have been sold as a retail game, more people would have played it, nobody would have complained they weren't getting enough content for their money.

I'm also super fond of

. Portable bullet-hell with randomized stages and a fun scoring system.

To tie this back into the 3DS, these are DSi-Ware games you should probably check out on your 3DS once the eShop launches. :yep:

I have all the ArtStyle games that are on DSi, as well as those that I already had as BitGenerations games on GBA (I imported that whole series back in the day). For example, I have Orbient, but my copy is on GBA and called Orbital. Haven't tried Cubello though. I may have to check it out.

Are you sure about the Japan thing? Apart from one or two niche anime or "moe" stuff I don't see anything different, the rest is still "TBA".

If we don't get the anime games it's probably due to licensing problems and the niche "moe"-ish games... It's dating sims and "witch touching" if you know what I mean.

We doublechecked yesterday and you are right. 25 games released so far, so I was a bit over estimating the over 40 games bit. Still more than western countries.

They were supposed to have around 40 games out now, but some have been postponed because of the recent tragic events.

I was looking at the charts and seems that the only higher interest games coming out are Dead or Alive Dimensions at the end of May worldwide in every area and Steel Diver in EUR/Japan.

Even Japan isn't getting that many games during next month, only 6 games coming out. Steel Diver, DoA and couple of Japan only games.

I just counted the ones in the European region and it's 19, I guess some of those 6 extra games are "TBA" and maybe one or two are actually only Japan only?

Free Excitebike is nice, if it isn't just for Japan. Also, Miffy, I took my 3DS to the theatre yesterday but no one else did, not even the projectionist. Shame! There's a likely venue for exchanging Mii's.

Oh well. Tomorrow there's a small games festival here. Bound to be some over there!

When I took the 3DS out of my pocket I saw that the "pass" light was on, I was confused since I was only at the market and at the bank (which was nearly empty). It turns out it was the "other" kind of pass notification, telling me of an update!

For a second I thought the shopping channel was up but.... my 3DS was asking me to do an update I had already done. Double letdown all the way?:tdown:

I keep wishing that the regional locking for 3DS game carts is some software thing only that Nintendo will unlock soon with some firmware update. :shifty:

I don't recall asking from you guys who already own a 3DS, but isn't it so that DS games are still region free even on 3DS? Like I have bought Phantom Hourglass from Canada and if I were to buy a 3DS from Europe, I could still play the game?

I keep wishing that the regional locking for 3DS game carts is some software thing only that Nintendo will unlock soon with some firmware update. :shifty:

I don't recall asking from you guys who already own a 3DS, but isn't it so that DS games are still region free even on 3DS? Like I have bought Phantom Hourglass from Canada and if I were to buy a 3DS from Europe, I could still play the game?

I just tried an import DS game on mine, it seems to work fine.

Yet to get a streetpass tag, and I've had it in my pocket in sleep mode pretty much every second that I haven't been playing it since Thursday. Calgary doesn't really seem to have the density for that, I guess.

That sucks because I am coming up to Calgary this weekend and was going to try to score some at the mall or something. If Medicine Hat and now Calgary doesn't have the density for StreetPass, where the hell do you need to live to have this thing be useful in any capacity? :frusty:

That sucks because I am coming up to Calgary this weekend and was going to try to score some at the mall or something. If Medicine Hat and now Calgary doesn't have the density for StreetPass, where the hell do you need to live to have this thing be useful in any capacity? :frusty:

Well, if I'd gone to Market Mall or Chinook Centre, I'm sure I could have gotten at least a couple of hits. I'm house-sitting right now, so the nearest place to shop is North Hill Mall, and if you're familiar with it, it's pretty terrible so not many people go there. The Streetpass hit I got at work told me that their Mii had met 22 others though, so all is not lost. I must have simply been walking through the wrong places.

I don't recall asking from you guys who already own a 3DS, but isn't it so that DS games are still region free even on 3DS?

There are a small number of "DSi enhanced" titles like Pokemon Black/White that are also region locked (and I have confirmed that my japanese copy of Pokemon White does not work on my US version 3DS). All my other imports work fine.

How is Pokemon Black/White enhanced by DSi? Also, got my second hit yesterday. That person had 33 other hits, so Drath if you come to Calgary this weekend all is not lost. Hell, come see Rubber at the Plaza this afternoon or tomorrow evening and my 3DS will be asleep in my pocket ready for a streetpass.

How is Pokemon Black/White enhanced by DSi? Also, got my second hit yesterday. That person had 33 other hits, so Drath if you come to Calgary this weekend all is not lost. Hell, come see Rubber at the Plaza this afternoon or tomorrow evening and my 3DS will be asleep in my pocket ready for a streetpass.

It looks terrible if you don't use the Start + Select thing, and great if you do.

When is the E-Shop coming? Early May or late May?

I just tried an import DS game on mine, it seems to work fine.

I'm guessing only the newer games and DSi enchanced ones are the ones prone to regional lock-out, not the original DS cards.

I think only some original DS games would look at the set language on the DS itself to know what language you would play in. (At least this is how Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland detects language, being a European card with six languages.) Possibly the original DS cards don't really communicate the intended region to the DS or vice versa?

How is Pokemon Black/White enhanced by DSi?

There's some stuff in it that makes use of the camera if you're on a DSi, like videochat

Yesterday was a holiday in my country so I decided to finish Samurai Warriors Chronicles, which made me realize a few things:

-I had played with the 3DS for several hours with the 3D at full and not no headaches or anything.

-I was noticing the "3Dness" more and less at the same time? I think I'm kinda used to it by now but I can also notice things in 3D that I didn't notice before. I still think it's cool, but not in the "OMG MY BRAIN ASPLODE WITH AWESOME" feeling when I just got it.

-I have nothing to play on my 3DS until the E-Shop opens... ;(

If there's one thing I've seen proven time after time after time after time, it's that being an early adopter of a console is fuckin' stupid. Every single time I've done it I've been frustrated by a lack of good games.

:tup: