Kolzig

Nintendo 3DS

How about when start+select are pressed at start up, wasn't there supposed to be some change in the size of the DS screen resolution after that?

Yeah this works fine (you only have to hold start or select when you run a DS cart), but the DS resolution is quite low compared to the native resolution of the 3DS screens so both images are made quite small.

Different DS games handle the upressing better than others, depending on how much sprite or 3D stuff they use. I'm perfectly happy with the upressed (default) mode when it means I don't have to carry two consoles around all the time just to play Pokemon or whatever.

I kinda like playing with the smaller resolution, it kinda feel like I'm playing the GBA Micro again!

Now I've really played enough with to say how I feel about it.

Super Street Fighter IV 3D looks amazing in 3D and while my eyes feel a bit weird I wouldn't say they hurt or anything after a while and I have them at full 3D?

About Streetpass, has anybody used it yet? I assume finding another person with a 3DS is pretty hard at such an early stage, I've only heard people who work for game blogs have been able to make it work with the other people in their site. It's a good thing that you can access the same features by using the pedometer, although only 10 coins a day is too little if other games plan to use it.

The thing you can do with the coins is fun so far, you can buy extra games in the AR games and use it to play the RPG mini game in the Mii Plaza thingie.

Can others see the stuff you get at the Mii plaza? Because I see no point in getting my Mii a Mario hat if you can only see it through Street Pass.

The AR could have a lot of potential! Imagine a new Smash Bros game where you can fight where ever you put the AR card? Or a fighting game where each card is a fighter (Isn't that what Eye of Judgement did)? Although playing AR games is as tiring as playing a Wii game, my arms started to hurt after playing Face Raiders for a few stages.

The clock app seems stupid, but... It was fun when I discovered a secret! If you get the cuckoo to smash into the screen enough, it exploded and became silver!:tup:

I guess it's up to the developers to see if anybody takes advantage of this...

Am I deluding myself in think that Kojima will include an AR with the Metal Gear game that will be totally insane?:erm:

Anybody found some hilarious place to play with the AR games?:grin:

I'm really curious too see what Nintendo does about the BSOD issue. It appears to be pretty uncommon, but it has to be at least somewhat widespread to get the attention it has (or maybe that's naïve of me to believe,) but when they'll have had to address it, or I'm forced to take it back to the store just in case it's a hardware issue they can't fix with an update. I really wish Nintendo would take a more modern approach to customer service. They should've had a blog and twitter account updating us on the issue, but instead they're doing the 90s thing where the web site is just a way for them to list a bunch of support phone numbers. Maybe it's a Japanese corporate culture thing.

I'm pretty sure it's a Nintendo thing, it's strange how they can be so innovative in some areas and so backwards in the rest of them.

Does this happen only with Shadow Wars?

Last Story, Xenoblade and Fatal Frame 4 sure don't seem to end up on western shores, or at least Europe. Granted, Last Story is only just about to come out in Japan and Fatal Frame apparently had some language patch and region free thing done later?

Going to eat my words on that, just last week Nintendo Europe leaked out information and pretty much confirmed that Xenoblade is coming to Europe later this year with name Xenoblade Chronicles.

Also Last Story seems to be coming in 2012 to at least Europe so they are really stretching the release of great games on Wii at the moment.

Here's Nintendo UK's trailer for Xenoblade.

INTERESTING DEVELOPMENT:

Previously in this thread, I mentioned that I had definitely linked the BSOD to wifi being turned on. With wifi on, it would consistently die on me within fifteen minutes of starting Shadow Wars.

I remembered I had registered three wlans on the device – one at work and one at my parents' – and though maybe this was causing the problems. It would certainly fit with the fact that only a small fraction of users experience the issue, as I'm assuming most people have zero or one wlans registered on their 3DS. So, I cleared the two connections I wasn't using, fired up Shadow Wars, and lo! I was able to play through the mission. Of course, it might be a coincidence, but so far, at least, it seems the BSOD error linked to:

• Having multiple wlan connections registered, or
  • the configuration of one of the wlans I deleted.

It would be interesting to hear if this was the case for other people as well. Anyone know what on-line forum or community has the most 3DS users?

edit: After having played a couple of more hours, I can pretty much confirm that deleting the two unused wlans fixed the BSOD for me, and I can now leave wifi on.

Edited by toblix

edit: After having played a couple of more hours, I can pretty much confirm that deleting the two unused wlans fixed the BSOD for me, and I can now leave wifi on.

Is this after updating your firmware (to the one with the OK Go video)?

I messed with the 3DS' clock so I could get more Play Coins for the Street Pass Quest RPG... It took over 150 characters to beat the game about 300 Play Coins and you need to beat it twice to unlock everything, which means it would take over two months to get it normally!:eek:

I also completed the puzzle thing and it gave me a cool 3D picture, unfortunately, I can only get more pictures when I meet more people through Street Pass, which is very unlikely to happen.:hmph:

The Street Pass Quest is actually fun and challenging! Of course, you can beat if you just keep spending coins to hire new heroes, but it you learn how to play it it's rather fun! :tup:

I've had my 3DS since launch day, and had no problems, with probably 80 hours of game time on the thing.

I just started playing Shadow Wars though, which seems to be the litmus test for how broken or not broken your 3DS is.

I've seen plenty of people say the game never crashed for them, and it hasn't for me either, with about four or five hours in.

I've had my 3DS since launch day, and had no problems, with probably 80 hours of game time on the thing.

I just started playing Shadow Wars though, which seems to be the litmus test for how broken or not broken your 3DS is.

I've seen plenty of people say the game never crashed for them, and it hasn't for me either, with about four or five hours in.

I'd recommend you save every few turns or so, just in case. It can be pretty damaging to get to the end of a long, hard level, only for the game to crash.

I'd recommend you save every few turns or so, just in case. It can be pretty damaging to get to the end of a long, hard level, only for the game to crash.

I have been saving pretty aggressively, absolutely.

Still no crashes though, like 8 hours in, i might be one of the lucky few.

This game also has some pretty busted quest scripting, i read one story where save scumming the game was causing the mission scripting to endlessly spawn additional groups of enemies, and a few other stories where people simply broke the progression, creating unwinnable situations for themselves and having to start missions over.

There's also a bug where you can dupe upgrade stars.

Shadow Wars is very likely the most busted 3DS launch game, which is a real shame, the game is a lot of fun. I'd like to see these guys make another one, just hopefully less broken.

What in the name of the Lord – you can save in Shadow Wars?!

What in the name of the Lord – you can save in Shadow Wars?!

Heh, yeah you can, it's kind of buried in the options sub menu on the pause screen. Seems like a lot of people miss that, not the greatest UI.

So all those hours spent replaying long missions because of some harebrained move towards the end have all been for nothing?! Now I feel hardcore.

About Streetpass, has anybody used it yet? I assume finding another person with a 3DS is pretty hard at such an early stage, I've only heard people who work for game blogs have been able to make it work with the other people in their site. It's a good thing that you can access the same features by using the pedometer, although only 10 coins a day is too little if other games plan to use it.

I feel like if the 3DS reaches the same level of ubiquity as the DS did, street pass will become just more and more viable because of how they've handled it this time. (I mean, this kind of functionality did exist in some DS games, but it was a specific game to a specific game thing instead of system to system and... Maybe it worked in Japan, but it didn't here, partly because nobody really even bothered to try.)

Nintendo has done some really smart things here though, making the street pass a system-level thing, and having the pedometer play coins there as a way to encourage/trick people into having their 3DS's with them.

Personally, i've had five hits on my 3DS, so clearly people are using it. (Those hits were probably from electronics stores, actually. Heh. Probably employees walking around with their 3DS systems trying to farm street pass connections off of customers, i'd guess.)

Whether or not people keep up with it or not will depend on entirely on what interesting things Nintendo and other developers do with it, but i think it's a charming concept that i'd like to see explored now that Nintendo has a handle on how to make it work.

Anyways.

So, Shadow Wars aside, what other launch games have you people been playing?

I sunk like forty hours into 100%'ing Ridge Racer 3D, but i'm kind of a sucker for those games. Nevertheless probably one of the best 3DS launch games. Still a little disappointing though, hard to overlook the fact that RR3D is noticeably less detailed and sporting a more inconsistent framerate when compared to the PSP's own Ridge Racer game, which launched with that system six years ago. (Despite the 3DS being ostensibly much more powerful than the PSP. Really, none of the 3DS launch games are at all attractive.)

Some of the other things that are bugging me about the 3DS?

All these "To be added in a later update" dead ends on the system's front-end makes it seem incredibly half-baked. You know, and Nintendo has somehow provided a unified friends list without any of the features that would make having a unified friends list useful. (You know, a message system? Invites?) Capcom also seems to be the only company doing any online MP, and the word is they're doing it on their own servers. (Speaking of which, RE:Mercenaries 3D is supposed to have online co-op. Swank.) Nintendo's own MP service is awol for the 3DS launch, very lame.

Overall though, i do really like the hardware. I am especially impressed with the 3D screens, for the first time i feel like there might actually be a future to this big stereoscopy push. (Developers take notice - Set your huds into the depth of the 3D, and if you do a third person camera, don't sit the character squarely center screen. Pilot Wings is aggressively painful on the eyes with any significant 3d depth.)

Edit: And the home screen! I love this, and the set of basic tools you can access without closing your game. (The basic camera, the screenshot/notepad thing, your friends list/notifications, and a browser.. to be added at a later date.)

Not quite the 360 Guide, but it'll do for a handheld. Very well implemented functionality. Pretty class, Nintendo.

Edited by Sno

I got Street Fighter and Samurai Warriors Chronicles, SF IV 3D is awesome, Samarui Warriors is.. Samurai Warriros, but with a user generated character which is very weird.

So Megaman Legends 3 is going to have a demo available at the launch of the 3DS eShop, and response to that will apparently determine the fate of that game. (Which Capcom is alleged to have still not fully green lit.)

It's probably, at least in part, a bit of Capcom marketing savvy, trying to rile up the fanbase to increase visibility for the thing.

Still really looking forward to it though, and the brief bit of gameplay footage looks cool, at least. (Just skip to the end of that to see the game in action.)

Been playing with mine for about a day now. I gotta say, I'm completely smitten. The design of it feels so damn solid, but it's still plenty pocket-sized. Pilotwings looks amazing in 3D, and I'm having a ton of fun flying around and doing cool shit. That flying squirrel suit mission in the Silver bracket is bloody great. So much fun. I also picked up Rayman, which I have played the tutorial of, but that's it. Great game, but the 3D seems a bit weird. Butterflies and ashes and pollen and what-have-you flying in my face and obscuring my view of the jumps is a bit odd. Cool effect, but for gameplay reasons I may go down to 2D when I actually want to play. That said, I've never played Rayman 2 before, so I'm excited to go through it.

Pro tip for those who, like me, have an old copy of Super Mario 64 DS sitting on their bookshelf: I noticed that when playing a DS game, d-pad inputs can be done with the analog stick if you want to. Though I played SM64DS with the touch screen back in the day, I remembered that there was a horrible option to play the game with the d-pad. I popped the cartridge into my 3DS to give it a try. Shit, it's so much better. As it's translating digital inputs to an analog stick, you still only have the one speed and need to hold Y to run, but compared to the options that the game gave you when played on an old DS, it's a world of difference. Seriously, I can't say how happy I am at this revelation. I got all 150 stars in that game, but I may be tempted to go back to it again now that the 3DS has made this almost 7 year old game so much more playable.

I'm still bummed about the slowness of the menus, but I've been trying out all the streetpass and Mii exchange features and that is amazing. The 3DS holds out pretty well if you put it in sleep mode by closing the machine, so you can easily walk around with the thing exchanging Miis all ady without worrying about battery life.

I finally got my first game on the system, Samurai Warriors: Chronicles, and I haven't been bothered by the battery life at all. It doesn't feel like I can only play for a couple of hours. It's fairly easy to just hook the machine up to a socket every evening. I'll be very happy with the inevitable Lite version in a few years with longer battery life, but this is acceptable.

By the way, Samurai Warriors is bloody good. OK, it's just the same thing the series has always been doing, but it plays very well on the 3DS, the 3D is excellent (I was so skeptical about the 3D, but now I am delighted with it, and it doesn't strain my eyes at all). I also love the little vignettes with all the feudal warlords that are littered all over the game. It is, in my opinion, the best thing out on the 3DS now if you're not a fighting game fan (which I am not) and therefor aren't interested in Streetfighter. It's not a perfect game and it decidedly benefits from the meagre launch line up, but I'm enjoying myself a lot with it.

Samurai Warriors: Chronicles and SSFIV are the only games I have right now to play on it! :tup:

I just back from a long trip and expected that I would get at least ONE Street Pass hit amongst the Easter weekend traffic and... not a single hit? Are you kidding me? Nobody brought the 3DS for their Easter trip? ;(

I know a lot of people don't have one yet, and maybe cars move too fast for it too work?:erm:

Man, what the hell, what's with all the Samurai Warriors purchases? That's the last game i expected to see played extensively on the 3DS, i am truly perplexed. That's no disrespect either, it's genuine confusion. Is there no love for Ridge Racer? Personally i felt RR3D was the strongest launch game of the ones I've been able to try.

I know a lot of people don't have one yet, and maybe cars move too fast for it too work?:erm:

This is actually something i've been curious about, how long those transmissions take, and what their range is.

I know i at least haven't gotten a streetpass connection while inside of a car yet, i keep getting streetpass tags when i'm in stores and malls and stuff.

Yet to get a streetpass tag, and I've had it in my pocket in sleep mode pretty much every second that I haven't been playing it since Thursday. Calgary doesn't really seem to have the density for that, I guess.

I don't like fighters or racing games, so Samurai Warriors is pretty much my only option. Besides that, it's pretty good. Well, it's a Samurai Warriors of course, so it's a repetitive hack 'n slasher. But it packages the game really nicely and I'm having a blast.

So far I've picked up a dozen or so Mii's while commuting or walking in the city. I'm not disappointed.

If you don't like fighters because of all complex moves, SSFIV has an easy mode where the super moves are buttons on the lower screen and you can assign super moves to every other button.

More and more fighters seems to be doing this, which is why I probably still play them! (Seriously, complex button combinations need to go the way of the dodo) :mock:

I'm really digging Tom Clancy's Shadow Wars. It sounds dumb, but the way they use the layering in the menus is actually pretty sweet. Since I'm a sucker for turn based strategy, it was an easy purchase to make when I grabbed my 3DS.