Kolzig

Nintendo 3DS

I'm mostly disappointed by how many of the games revealed for the 3DS are basically ports/remakes/enhanced-versions of already existing games. :-/

So I thought that too until I started looking into what launch day titles I wanted. I'm up to 4 games, of which only 1 is a port, and it's not even a handheld port:

- Super Street Fighter 4 is the port, but come on! Console quality fighter on a handheld? Sold!

- Steel Diver. Don't write this one off. It's a Miyamoto game, and having played the original DS demo/prototype, I'm fairly confident this'll be good.

- Pilotwings Resort

- Tom Clancy's Whatever That Game Julian Gollop Is Developing. Dude who made X-Com is making a turn-based strategy. 'Nuff said.

I have a 3DS, Steel Diver & SSFIV in my Amazon cart. I'll give it a few days before I pull the trigger, but it's looking like a day 1 purchase

Mo

I think Pilotwings Resort and Steel Diver seem like cool games, but they should be downloadable games I think. I hardly see myself playing them enough to warrant a $40 purchase. Street Fighter is probably the title I'd be most likely to get, but not sure if that's enough for me when I barely play it on consoles. I really want the new hardware but I might end up waiting until there is a game I really want out for it.

So, of course I had to hunt down and test one 3DS handheld somewhere on friday and while there are no demo stands apparently anywhere in Finland, the nice clerk at a local shop noticed that I was looking at the boxes and reading the advertisements about 3DS so suddenly he asked that would I like to test out one 3DS that was on display in a glass cabinet.

I said hell yeah and the guy gave me one of the AR cards and the 3DS. I have to say that the 3D effect is pretty damn sweet, I didn't know it would work that well.

Now to decide whether I should wait a year and get the 3DS lite that will eventually come or should I ask a co-worker to bring one from US or should I just not buy it at all because I will always hate region locking.

Also the amount of release games seems to suck in my town. I saw only 6 games available and Shadow Wars, the most interesting of the bunch was nowhere to be seen.

Also makes me angry that in the advertisement pamphlet they have 16 games listed but no mention of Julian Gollop's game! Even frigging Rayman 3D remake of a 11 year old game gets a mention.

I got mine today, and it's pretty sweet. I imagine the 3D effect will stop being so fascinating in and of itself, and that it'll end up getting about as much use as my DS Lite (i.e. not much at all) but at least I've now seen proper 3D without glasses. It's almost as good as if you look away.

I think I might be able to afford one soon, but I don't whether to at least wait until the eShop is up so I can play some DSiware games (SHANTAE! :tup:) while I wait for some more interesting games.

Has anybody gotten any headaches from the 3D effects yet?

I can feel it straining the eyes a bit, and so I think I might play it in shorter sessions, but it's not like I played any of the other DSes for long stretches of time anyway.

Although the software is very polished in terms of how much of it is included and how many fun little details are implemented (like the face-napping UFO and detecting people's faces when you point the thing around everywhere playing AR-games), the whole thing seems a bit prototypey. I don't know if they could've made the 3D screen any better with today's technology, but the zone in which you need to keep you head perfectly still to avoid the graphics becoming a mess is just barely good enough.

I can feel it straining the eyes a bit, and so I think I might play it in shorter sessions, but it's not like I played any of the other DSes for long stretches of time anyway.

Although the software is very polished in terms of how much of it is included and how many fun little details are implemented (like the face-napping UFO and detecting people's faces when you point the thing around everywhere playing AR-games), the whole thing seems a bit prototypey. I don't know if they could've made the 3D screen any better with today's technology, but the zone in which you need to keep you head perfectly still to avoid the graphics becoming a mess is just barely good enough.

So playing with the 3D settings didn't help with the eyestrain?

I could wait for the 3DS Lite, but it could be faraway and they'll probably just make it smaller and maybe give it a better battery life?

So playing with the 3D settings didn't help with the eyestrain?

Maybe, but i really like the 3D effect. It's not straining my eyes in a painful or annoying way, it's just that it's very obvious my eyes are not used to this weird new world where everything is in focus all the time, and it's more mentally straining than physically straining on the eyes, I guess. My explanation, she is terrible.

So if you go to the Mii Plaza you can customize your Mii with hats and other profile details with a bunch of predefined shit for your "Hobby" and "Dream". One such dream option is "To be a wizard!" :getmecoat

SFIV is surprisingly really decent. You lose the active 3D backgrounds from the full game, but you get pretty much everything else which makes it exponentially better than the other SFIV-on-the-go option, the awful iOS version.

I saw a demo on this last Friday and, yeah, it's pretty nifty. But to be honest I can't see how it would improve a game in any way, and I'd probably just turn it off after a while. Clever tech though.

Well, this is a first. In ten minutes I've gotten two of these while playing Shadow Wars:

1206827-nintendo-3ds-bsod,bWF4LTQ2MHgyNTg=.jpg

Apparently they're not uncommon and Nintendo knows about it.

edit: Interestingly, maybe, after disabling wifi I was able to finish the entire mission without a hitch. It doesn't necessarily mean anything, but it might.

Edited by toblix

Well, this is a first. In ten minutes I've gotten two of these while playing Shadow Wars:

1206827-nintendo-3ds-bsod,bWF4LTQ2MHgyNTg=.jpg

Apparently they're not uncommon and Nintendo knows about it.

edit: Interestingly, maybe, after disabling wifi I was able to finish the entire mission without a hitch. It doesn't necessarily mean anything, but it might.

The 3DS does have a way to update it's firmware and fix this, right?

So is this worth trading in a bunch of things for? I can't afford to buy one straight-up, but gamestop is running a thing where if I trade in 5 games it's $125. I'm pretty tempted to take them up on this, if I can find 5 games I'm ok losing that would be worth more than $8 each in trade value, but I want to hear a bit about what people think of the thing. Worth it, or no?

In my opinion, currently the main reason of getting one at this point is that you really want to see 3D without glasses. It's pretty cool, but the amazement wears off pretty fast, and then you're left with something that feels clunkier than the DS, and that, as far as I know, only has one game worth playing (Shadow Wars, which is fun). If it's either getting this or the inevitable next version that doesn't have the motherfucking stylus in the motherfucking back, I'd totally wait. By then, there'll be several sweet games available.

Also, there's the BSOD thing, which I'd wait to see the consequences of.

Don't buy it, is my advice. Not until the portfolio of 3DS games grows substantially and envelops better stuff. So far it's pathetic.

I thought of buying one because I was afraid they'd "pull a Wii" and make it scarce on purpose to keep people interested, but it's still in stock everywhere, so I'd wait for more games too.

You could wait until the 3DS Lite, but Nintendo isn't like Apple, they might release a thousand versions of the 3DS, but they don't launch a new one each year, you might have to wait a very long time.

I'd wait for at least three or four games you REALLY want to be out, not just games you might enjoy.

The little Nintendo fan in me is screaming at me for saying this, but why buy this now when it would just collect dust until summer? (The more interesting ones are coming out then, right?)

If there's one thing I've seen proven time after time after time after time, it's that being an early adopter of a console is fuckin' stupid. Every single time I've done it I've been frustrated by a lack of good games, whereas every time I've waited (360) there's been a plentiful library of games sat there for me to enjoy. :tup:

In my experience it feels great to have a new console with so many good games you can hardly choose, whereas it feels absolutely shit to have a new console with practically nothing worth playing and you're hanging on for every new release so you can finally get some play out of your kit — and by the time you can it's gone down in price anyway.

Early adoption is for the rich and those who crave disappointment. :fart:

Hey, I just realized something from what you've said! My favorite systems are the ones I didn't early adopt!

Since I bought the Nintendo stuff early I never had to play catch up, but since I bought the 360 and PSP pretty late I had to play catch up and having so many games to choose from simply made the system look better in my mind!:hmph:

(Wait... I was an early Dreamcast adopter and I love that thing, but then again, it's a Dreamcast, so nearly everybody loves it? :erm:)

Edit: Looking at the tentative release date schedule, it looks like it won't be worthwhile to get one until August? It looks like Zelda might come sooner, but I'm pretty sure we've all played that game to death and we can wait for an actual NEW game?;(

Edited by Tanukitsune

Tuns out to be a moot point anyway, as I only have one game in my whole fucking library that EB will give me $8 for and I can part with, so nuts to that. At the same time, I'm a huge goddamned Nintendo fanboy and love my Nintendo systems, despite getting them right away and waiting through the early dry periods, so I doubt that will be a problem for me. I've started a "3DS jar" in my kitchen now, bolstered with they $125 I was going to spend on it anyway (out of a tax refund I got this week) and which should be filled gradually over a couple of months. Then, I'm buying the sucker. I know it's silly, but the game I really want to play is Pilotwings.

Edited by miffy495

I'm enjoying Pilotwings a lot. People are complaining that there's not enough to do, but there's a good amount of variety in the missions, and they get difficult enough that I doubt I'll ace them all any time soon. I actually like the free-flight mode more than the missions. It's nice to just chill out and fly around a bit, maybe pick up a few collectibles if I feel like it. I find it relaxing. It reminds me of what I liked about Endless Ocean (which, come to think of it, would be great on the 3DS).

Does anybody know if the Wi-fi technology is better than the DS? I just got Pokémon Black and I just realized that the DS isn't compatible with my router and the wi-fi dongle doesn't work in Windows 7 64bit at all!

I'd hate to have to buy a 3DS AND and then something else just to play online!

From what I can tell its wireless technology is the same as the DS, in that it supports B and G but not N. However most modern wireless routers support all three simultaneously so this shouldn't be an issue.

What will screw you up is the fact that the original DS and DS Lite only supported WEP encryption, which is shit and not actively used by 99% of routers for the last five years. As far as I'm aware the DSi onwards fixed this, allowing you to connect to WPA routers (ie: most).

Dunno what you mean about the wireless dongle, though. Never had a wireless dongle for my DS Lite.

Well, considering I bought Pokémon to play with my friends, I might have to buy a 3DS sooner than I thought... I've asked other and they confirms it will work!

Damn you POKEYMANS!

I got mine today, and it's pretty sweet... It's almost as good as if you look away.

You heard it here first: The Nintendo 3DS - it's almost as good as if you weren't looking at it all. :deranged:

Well, considering I bought Pokémon to play with my friends, I might have to buy a 3DS sooner than I thought... I've asked other and they confirms it will work!

Damn you POKEYMANS!

DS games look like shit on 3DS.