Kolzig

Nintendo 3DS

I'm also more than a little miffed about the region locking. Nintendo is still embracing 20th century, pre-globalization ideas about market regions. It's a big step back for their handhelds and thoroughly without excuse.

Does it really matter if it's region locked if they don't leave any games "behind" and most of them are available worldwide?

As someone whose just ordered a few import PSP games, this would worry me, but I just realized I've only had to import one DS game...

But then again, this also means that if you go on a trip with your 3DS and you won't be able to buy games, which sucks...:(

I'm pretty sure the game I'll want to import will come out on the PSP, but still... I guess we should worry a bit....:erm:

A ton of games are left behind and never see release in Europe. But worse is that this takes away any last vestige of pressure Nintendo and other companies have of getting the games out worldwide at around the same time. Europe has historically been shafted when it came to release dates so many times (sometimes it was years later) and that's not set to change any time because of things like this.

So, yes, this is quite a serious bit of bullshit and backwards-ass thinking.

I'm pretty much pissed off about the region locking. I've never been a supporter of that. All people in Europe know the horrors of region locking.

How many games have we missed out on for the DS or Wii? We tend to get them later because Nintendo would leave Europe last because they have to translate into more languages, but I can't think of any noteworthy games we've missed out on?:erm:

I don't know about Spain, but game shops in the Netherlands are stocked with import titles that I never even heard of. Whether or not they're must-have classics is another thing, but there are a thousand RPGs and adventures that we never see, including interesting releases of titles like Lux Pain with soundtrack CD.

However, even if every game eventually saw a release here, it would still be no excuse to lock it to a region. It's purely an antiquated tool to govern the economic interests of Nintendo of Europe. Instead of increasing the quality, service and speed of their product, they choose to lock it off so consumers don't have the option to vote with their feet anymore. It's quite malicious.

Strange. While that sucks, I've only had two import games on the list for the regular list, that Tingle game from Europe and then Tingle's Balloon Fight from Japan. Europe didn't get the second Tingle game.

I was really hoping everyone would follow Sony's lead this time, who for the first time ever is not region locking their released games, which is super convenient.

Maybe importing DS games from the United States is very cheap these days with the crap value of the dollar, so they are looking to put an end to that?

How many games have we missed out on for the DS or Wii? We tend to get them later because Nintendo would leave Europe last because they have to translate into more languages, but I can't think of any noteworthy games we've missed out on?:erm:

Last Story, Xenoblade and Fatal Frame 4 sure don't seem to end up on western shores, or at least Europe. Granted, Last Story is only just about to come out in Japan and Fatal Frame apparently had some language patch and region free thing done later?

Almost all my games (over 20 games during the past 4-5 years) for the DS have been bought from Canada. Only NSMB and Phoenix Wright 1 I got from Finland as EU versions.

Last Story, Xenoblade and Fatal Frame 4 sure don't seem to end up on western shores, or at least Europe. Granted, Last Story is only just about to come out in Japan and Fatal Frame apparently had some language patch and region free thing done later?

Almost all my games (over 20 games during the past 4-5 years) for the DS have been bought from Canada. Only NSMB and Phoenix Wright 1 I got from Finland as EU versions.

Well, I just heard of another Japan only game that might interest us... Solatorobo a "spiritual successor" to Tail Conerto... come to think of it, what does "spiritual successor" mean? A sequel we can't call a sequel due to legal issues?:erm:

But this game came out in October and I heard it's been localized ever, the only thing missing is a publisher I assume?

I had to get Devil Survivor from the US. Picross 3D never came out in Ireland (not sure about elsewhere in Europe). I only just found out they were region locking from this thread. I'm a sad panda. Aside from the availability of the games, games in the US are much bloody cheaper and i used to stock up when i got a chance over there.

How was DSi and DSi XL actually, did they only regionally lock the DSi shop or did they also lock the real game regions for DS cart games?

How was DSi and DSi XL actually, did they only regionally lock the DSi shop or did they also lock the real game regions for DS cart games?

Just the DSi shop.

Alright, I'm hoping tomorrow the events in Amsterdam and New York will give some cold hard facts about this troubling issue. I really hope it's just the shop, Nintendo can't be that stupid that they lock the whole device.

Alright, I'm hoping tomorrow the events in Amsterdam and New York will give some cold hard facts about this troubling issue. I really hope it's just the shop, Nintendo can't be that stupid that they lock the whole device.

Press Release sent this morning is worded a little strangely;

“Nintendo has developed different versions of Nintendo 3DS hardware to take into account different languages, age rating requirements and parental control functionality as well as to ensure compliance with local laws in each region. Nintendo 3DS also offers network services specifically tailored for each region.”It went on: “Additionally we want to ensure the best possible gaming experience for our users and there is the possibility that Nintendo 3DS software sold in one region will not function properly when running on Nintendo 3DS hardware sold in another.”Nintendo says “guidance” will be published on packaging for 3DS hardware and software to warn potential customers.“Guidance will appear on every packaging of Nintendo 3DS hardware and the accompanying software. If you are in doubt, Nintendo recommends that you only purchase Nintendo 3DS software in the region where purchased your Nintendo 3DS system.”

Alright that's just bullshit and they didn't give any cold hard facts about the region locking today.

Also what the hell is up with the constant cheating of Europeans with the prices! Japan release price 25000 yen, American release price 249,99 and Europe gets it at 229,99 euros. :tdown:

Why we always get the most expensive price! The American price is only 185 euros with todays exchange rate damnit! :(

Don't they always do that? The only thing from preventing me from preordering the 3DS is that I don't know whether Nintendo will do like with the Wii and make it very scarce at first... :|

:tup: Friend codes look like they don't suck this time around.

:tup: More than enough release titles.

:tmeh: No significant news at the conference that couldn't be guessed at.

:tmeh: GB/GBA Virtual Console is likely to be a disappointment, with a slow release schedule. On the other hand, it actually exists, for what that's worth.

:tdown: Pricing generally sucks. iPod Touch sells at $229, so I was expecting some competition on that front.

:tdown: Seems like there's no DS/3DS digital marketplace. Can't say I'm surprised with that small included SD card, but it's still lame.

The conference (the Amsterdam version) was pretty lousy. Honestly, why can't Europe put up a decent show like the Americans? Beacuase the people talking here (admittedly, a lot of them were Japanese) had so little stage presence.

As for the thing itself, holy shit, what a non-show. No big announcements, most titles were not that interesting at all, and there just wasn't any... you know, any bomb dropping. The pricing is ridiculous though perfectly in line with how Europe always gets shafted, by everyone, continuously, and the region locking -well, I've said all I'll say about that.

My enthusiasm for the 3DS has actually somewhat evaporated over the last few weeks.

Hmm, I just realized none of the release titles seem that interesting.... maybe I'll wait for a Zelda... and to find out if that eye strain rumor is real.... :blink:

I don't think you should give the eye strain rumor any thought. It won't turn out to be a real problem. For one, a ton of people have already played with the 3DS last E3 and there weren't any problems then that we heard of.

Secondly, nobody wants another Virtual Boy, Nintendo least of all. They'll have tested the shit out of this before considering using the tech.

And yes, of the launch games only Professor Layton has any merit to me, and that's a title that could have easily done without 3D. The wait is for the proper Resident Evil and Ocarina.

Frankly it's surprising they're releasing the 3DS without a big Nintendo title at launch.... unless they consider Nintendogs & Cats a system seller....:deranged:

Am I the only one thinking: "DAMMIT! Release I just want this to play Shantae! Release a good game for it so I can have an excuse to buy it!":erm::clap::woohoo:;(

Frankly it's surprising they're releasing the 3DS without a big Nintendo title at launch.... unless they consider Nintendogs & Cats a system seller....:deranged:

Am I the only one thinking: "DAMMIT! Release I just want this to play Shantae! Release a good game for it so I can have an excuse to buy it!":erm::clap::woohoo:;(

It really is, more than 22 million copies sold.

My system seller is a new Paper Mario. I see that, and I desperately want to play it. Nuts to everything else, I'm sold.