toblix

Broken Sword: Director's Cut

? The discussion is about whether the cipher was the same or not, lol.

My point was that it's not randomised, as you questioned here:

Mine didn't, maybe it's randomized? Hmm

The puzzle was set in stone both times, it wasn't random for any character.

My point was that it's not randomised, as you questioned here:

The puzzle was set in stone both times, it wasn't random for any character.

When I said, "maybe it was randomized", I mean the cipher, not the puzzle itself.

When I said, "maybe it was randomized", I mean the cipher, not the puzzle itself.

Yes I know. How else could it be randomised?

Each letter has the same replacement each time anyone plays the game.

So the cipher IS the same? But here you said...

I can't remember if the cipher was the same though.

My head hurts :\

The solution for either one of the puzzles is the same on every playthrough, but Patters can't remember if same solution worked for both puzzles or if there were two solutions, one for each puzzle ?

I am yet to play a Broken Sword game. I hope there will be a Mac version too because I'm not going to boot up Windows just to play an ADVENTURE GAME. There is.. :shifty:

The solution for either one of the puzzles is the same on every playthrough, but Patters can't remember if same solution worked for both puzzles or if there were two solutions, one for each puzzle ?

Ok, I think I got it. Thanks! Lol. :tup:

I've played through about 80% of Shadow of the Templars: The Directors Cut and I'm enjoying it immensely. I don't understand why I have ignored these games for so long. Maybe because they seemed so boring at first glance somehow.

The Directors Cut is pretty broken, though, at least on Mac: 'Continue' never loads your last save, most of the cutscenes end abruptly a couple of seconds after they have started, there is no way to exit the manuscript screen (except to click on the center area repeatedly and hope that the game would 'crash' out of it), and so on. Has anyone else experienced these problems? Is the sequel less buggy?

Speaking of Broken Sword 2, is it comparable in quality (puzzles, story, etc.) to the first game? It seems to have gotten significantly lower Metacritic score than Shadow of the Templars. Is there really something wrong with it it or is it just more of the same?

It's bigger, better and more beautiful. The reason it got a lower score must because most people like to pretend to hate sequels. I don't know, it's great.

Yeah Broken Sword 2 is absolutely superb, and best of all it doesn't rest on it's laurels in the slightest — the gameplay is mixed up nicely and the story has nothing to do with the Templars. I think my memories of BS2 are actually even better than my memories of the first.

It's Broken Sword 3+ where things got bland, repetitive, and generally a huge step down in quality and innovation. :tmeh:

Yep, Broken Sword 2 actually got equal or better reviews, as I remember. I seems to recall one review basically saying, they took all the good stuff from the first game and made it better. I certainly enjoyed it.

I think Metacritic isn't great for older games. I'm not sure they include reviews from the bigger magazines of the time?

I seems to recall one review basically saying, they took all the good stuff from the first game and made it better.

Did they improve voice acting and/or audio quality? That is my only complaint about Shadow of Templars quality-wise if you don't count all the glitches I complained about and listed below, which I don't because I'm pretty sure they are due to rushed Director's Cut edition or sloppy Mac port.

Yeah Broken Sword 2 is absolutely superb, and best of all it doesn't rest on it's laurels in the slightest — the gameplay is mixed up nicely and the story has nothing to do with the Templars. I think my memories of BS2 are actually even better than my memories of the first.

It's Broken Sword 3+ where things got bland, repetitive, and generally a huge step down in quality and innovation. :tmeh:

Wow, that's strange, I remember becoming increasingly annoyed and dissatisfied with Broken Sword 2 as the end approached, but did like small pockets inside the game, like the beach area with the old pirate ship or the whole beginning part of the game.

I agree with the assessment of Broken Sword 3 completely, which is where I gave up. I almost didn't finish the thing, but I stuck though. I usually manage to finish most games, even if mediocre, but Broken Sword 3 was a definite chore, especially on Xbox with the ridiculous loading time.

So how do I turn off the kindergarten mode where pulsating blue circles tells me what I can interact with in each area? I don't know if I can be bothered playing through it if I'm just going through the motions

:erm:

So how do I turn off the kindergarten mode where pulsating blue circles tells me what I can interact with in each area? I don't know if I can be bothered playing through it if I'm just going through the motions

:erm:

You can't... ugly as it is, but that's really a good thing. Pixel hunting has never been a good or enjoyable aspect of adventure games. The puzzles are still as difficult.

Yes. Surprisingly, the game is excellent even without pointless and frustrating pixel hunting.

Do the pulsating circles stay there permanently? That does sound pretty lame and immersion-breaking. The way Telltale and LucasArts do it (ie: hotkey) is good, though.

Nope. They will only be visible if you move the cursor close enough to them and will gradually get brighter as you get nearer and nearer to the hotspot. I had no problems with them at all.

I wish you could turn them off but it's getting less jarring.

Immersion wise, they do suck, but you get used to them. Also, I'd forgotten how big this game is... It's taken many many hours to get 55% through the game. Also, I really don't remember the hospital bit, which is odd, but the graphics and sound suggest that it's always been there.

Broken Sword 2 was good too!

Surely enough, there were some really annoying pixel hunting bits in there. And a couple of really atrocious puzzles too, for instance the one on the film set:

You give the stunt man a maple syrup covered pancake because you want the bees in the nearby bush to attack him. Why? Because you want him to perform ridiculous cartoon jump over a fence, in a game that otherwise is quite 'realistic'. Fine. But why do you want to do that exactly? Because the next shoot takes place at the beach were you are heading as well. Umm.. fine? I guess somebody said that you couldn't move freely or whatever. I only understood the reasons for acting like I did afterwards; I just saw maple syrup and a bush full of bees and knew what to do.

The really stupid part is how you get the bees to attack the stunt man. I threw a piece of hard bread into the bush, but that only made them angry. After that I tried some of the other items on the inventory on the bush but none of them worked. Then I realized that this is a Broken Sword game which means that there must be some kind of stupid repeated action thing and so I picked up another piece of bread and threw it into the bush. Nothing. Tried to talk to everyone again and threw yet another piece of bread into the bush. Still nothing. At that point I gave up and consulted a walkthrough: turns out you have to throw two pieces of bread in rapid succession into the bush to make the bees fly out. What's more you can only have one bread in your inventory at a time so you'll have walk to the table to pick another one and then walk back.

What the fuck? :tfart:

It's like the infamous Goat Puzzle from the first game (which they fixed in the Director's Cut). Glad you enjoyed 2, though, even if some puzzles and mechanics have dated.

Yeah, I didn't think any of the puzzles in DC is difficult, but most of them only make sense within the confines of a adventure game.

the key inside the candle, for example (there are thousands other examples, but this stayed in my memory because it's one of the last puzzles you have to solve in the game). You don't even know there's a key inside it, but you go through a series of puzzles to burn it anyway because it's obvious that it's an interactive element and that's what you have to do.