Wubbles

The Bethesda Podcast, featuring Nick Breckon

I also imagined him to be some huge, bulky, incredibly deep-voiced man.

Hahah, it's great how a lot of people expect that (I'm guessing, because I imagined the same thing) :tup::D

I also imagined him to be some huge, bulky, incredibly deep-voiced man. Probably because his surname has 'car' in it.

Prepare to be blown away, replace the first letter in in last name with 'T' and remove the last one.

Prepare to be blown away, replace the first letter in in last name with 'T' and remove the last one.

Oh shi-

I avoid paying attention to games before the reviews are out. Which means this is the last podcast I'll be able to listen to safely. For eleven months. Unfortunate.

Edited by Cult of Jared

Basically, you won't hear anything about the game itself (the in-game stuff)...so...there's no need to stop listening to the podcast.

Basically, you won't hear anything about the game itself (the in-game stuff)...so...there's no need to stop listening to the podcast.

You think? I assume they will be be trotting out developers eager to talk about all the rad things they are doing.

I usually enjoy games in inverse proportion to what I expect of them. The solution is obvious. Unfortunately developers are always trying to ruin my strategy by marketing their game.

Nothing about the game, more about the announcement at the VGAs. 10 minutes of your life, won't hurt at all.

Nothing about the game, more about the announcement at the VGAs. 10 minutes of your life, won't hurt at all.

Right, I've already listened to it. It was good. The incredulity about the spike pyrotechnics was funny.

I was projecting into the future. Sorry I was unclear. I clearly need some writing practice.

I literally cried at 10:30 at suddenly hearing the majesty of Morrowind's soundtrack. Thank you for existing, Elder Scrolls and Bethesda :tup:

I literally cried at 10:30 at suddenly hearing the majesty of Morrowind's soundtrack. Thank you for existing, Elder Scrolls and Bethesda :tup:

THE COUNTDOWN TO TEARS. IT IS OVER.

And to think, it was actually brought about by Nick Congrats Nick Breckon.

TODD HOWARD: (at 5:08) "First you have to dodge the monks..."

Wow, sounds like the Todd Howard VGA game could be even better than the Tim Schafer GDC game!

Prrrt.

This one is not even trying.

:hitler: Mod edit: I quoted a spammer and even included all the links! Now my post's getting edited to reflect that because the moderator was grumpy!

Edit:haha

Edited by Sleepdance

This one is not even trying.

Yep. The best (WORST) thing is: I woke up this morning, got out of bed and instantly sat at the computer, opened this forum page (cuz I got a mail notification of a new post in this thread) and, without thinking or knowing what I'm doing, instinctively clicked the first link....it took me a moment to realize what I had just actually clicked.

I need to stop sitting down at the computer the second I wake up. :shifty:

Sleepdance, please don't quote spammers with links preserved.

Edited by David

Is it pretty much just Skyrim hype? I fancy listening to it but I'm trying to avoid Skyrim marketing because Bethesda always makes such outlandish claims; I feel like I'll enjoy the game more if I don't listen to them.

Wait... there are studios that don't make outlandish claims during development!?

Let me guess... that studio is Lionhead right?

Lionhead is the #1 offender, but Bethesda is definitely a close second for me, I was convinced Oblivion was going to have the greatest AI ever developed, etc. before its release. The truth was rather disappointing.

It's funny that this discussion is happening here now, since I'm listening to the (always excellent) Bethesda podcast and it's nothing like that. If anything, the interviewed person (I forget his name, (one of) the boss(es) in any case) is very careful not to raise expectations beyond what the game might be. He sounds very concerned about overhyping and misrepresenting the game.

In that case I shall gleefully download it and bask in the aural magnificence of Nick Congrats Nick Breckon.

That would be Pete Hines. And yes, it's a pretty down-to-earth and candid interview. At least, it feels about as candid as it can be, considering that he can't really speak with any specificity about Skyrim yet.

I've been thinking a lot lately about how annoying it is that game development is so secretive. I understand that there are risks (like spoilers, overpromising, showing your hand to the competition, the psychotic need of PR to drip-feed information to websites). It's refreshing and super interesting to watch the vids on Giant Bomb following along with the development of Bastion.

As a fan of games, I've always been curious about how they come into existence, but it's still a pretty nebulous concept to me. I took a computer science class once where I learned FORTRAN 77 and wrote some little math programs. It's like that, right?

I wish we'd at least get more honest information after the fact. Postmortems, like those that pop up on Gamasutra once in a while, are a treasure. As a member of the press, I've had the pleasure of hearing some good war stories, but they're always off the record.

As a fan of games, I've always been curious about how they come into existence, but it's still a pretty nebulous concept to me. I took a computer science class once where I learned FORTRAN 77 and wrote some little math programs. It's like that, right?

Not anymore. These days they open the game editor (like UDK or Unity) and then in the File menu, they select the New Game... item. This presents a New Game wizard that lets them fill out the basic parameters like number of weapons, max health, etc. From there, though, you'll need to know some programming to fill out the rest like level design etc.