Wubbles

The Bethesda Podcast, featuring Nick Breckon

Man, it's great :) I really like how Nick's handling this. Those interviews are surprisingly candid and not 'corporate patter' at all, which you might have expected of an official company podcast.

So BethSoft stole Nick from us to make their own podcast?

Those bastards.

Yeah, I listened to the first episode when it came out and I really liked it. Not exactly Thumbish but really good. Maybe just a little bit short. Definitely gonna keep listening to their casts. Also, I love how the "And I'm Nick Breckon" continues to live on without the.........urgh....hmpff...Congrats Nick.

By the way, "Stealth Frag" from Quake 2 at 14:05 was a nice touch. My favorite from the soundtrack.

Edited by tm_drummer

I don't think that Nick should be allowed to use " ... and I'm Nick Breckon!" in other podcasts. No with that tone, with those inflexions or this accents.

That belongs to us now!:(

Otherwise, the podcast is very good - the one with the Arkane team is great - even though I'm not a fan of the ambient music and the sometimes awkward trailer-like voice over " ... and they didn't know ... they had just created ... a phenomenon (cue Doom 2 music or something)".

Well seeing how community manager sure seems to be the hot job for people moving over from game's writing, I'm sure it's only a matter of time before we see Chris Remo co hosting Irrational games with Shaun Elliot

Shawn Elliott already does an irrational podcast. It'd be cool if Chris helped with that.

Irrational is doing the business interviews in addition to the Irrational Behaviour.

They should let Chris interview Nick, Hot Scoops, Video Games and Famous in the business interviews part! :tup:

They may have blew their wad in the first episode with Tim Willits and Todd Howard... I'm waiting for an interview with the great John Carmack now!

What's all this heresy with id Software content? Give us that 4-hour long Morrowind retrospective!

Thanks very much for the feedback dudes. I actually have been reluctant to promote it because I'm not sure it's as good as it could be yet. At the very least, I feel like Irrational's stuff is setting a very high bar. That said, I do almost all of the production work on my own, so I'm at least somewhat happy that it's not a giant disaster.

Rather than plot it out and wait for quality, we're going to try to keep a semi-regular schedule and just motor ahead. More BGS-centric content is next on the list following the New Vegas launch. And yeah, crossover sessions with Irrational would also be rad. They already stole Todd Howard for their show, so it only makes sense.

hey Nick, agreed on going for consistent content. I can't remember where I read it but the most important thing with a lot of this stuff is to stick to a schedule. If it is going to take you several weeks to release an hour long piece, instead release 15-20 minutes of content on a weekly basis.

But I am sure you already know that.

Can we PLEASE change the topic title to the proper name of the podcast: Nick Breckon featuring the Bethesda podcast?

I just listened to the second episode. Interesting stuff. And makes me want to go back and play Ultima Underworld.

What's all this heresy with id Software content? Give us that 4-hour long Morrowind retrospective!

That would be rather difficult, since a lot of the Designers of Morrowind have moved on. Realistically speaking, none of the designers of that era are still with Bethesda. Todd Howard, Todd Vaughn, Bruce Nesmith, and Kurt Kuhlmann are still around but I believe that, with the exception of Mr. Howard, the latter 3 had little to do with Morrowind. A lot of the designers of Morrowind left after Morrowind, and most of the remaining designers left after Oblivion.

You could certainly talk to some of the programmers and artists, and I'm sure Todd, Pete, and Ashley would have a lot of interesting things to say about the project... but it wouldn't be the same.

That would be rather difficult, since a lot of the Designers of Morrowind have moved on. Realistically speaking, none of the designers of that era are still with Bethesda. Todd Howard, Todd Vaughn, Bruce Nesmith, and Kurt Kuhlmann are still around but I believe that, with the exception of Mr. Howard, the latter 3 had little to do with Morrowind. A lot of the designers of Morrowind left after Morrowind, and most of the remaining designers left after Oblivion.

Where did they go?

There's no reason the actual designers wouldn't be interested in an interview on Morrowind though, even if they don't work for Zzzenimax anymore. Might be a bit harder to arrange for Breckon Nick Breckon, but it's not impossible.

I finally got around to listening to these today. Good stuff. I'd actually forgotten about the Id/Bethesda thing, so that was pretty weird, but cool. CONTINUE.

Where did they go?

Ken Rolston and Mark Nelson moved on to Big Huge Games after Oblivion and Shivering Isles, respectively. Interestingly, a couple other Oblivion/Fallout 3 designers followed them shortly after Fallout 3.

Michael Kirkbride did (possibly still does) some writing for Oblivion, but no longer works for the company full-time. I am not sure where he went. I think it's fair to say that he is the man responsible for a lot of the mystique (read: weird stuff) in The Elder Scrolls setting, but by no means all of it.

Douglass Goodall left the industry following Morrowind, I believe.

I actually forgot about Brian Chapin in my initial post; his role in Morrowind was sort of lost to the ages. I don't think he was technically a designer until one of the Morrowind expansions, though.