Sleepdance

Good Old GOG

Well, now that it's coming back, I really have to check their whole catalogue at some point.

The $5,99 price point is really nice and I absolutely give huge respect for them for making more and more old games Win7 friendly. Even though Blood2 is not one of the top shooters of all time, it still is fun to play after all these years since I last played it and it works great on Win7, except when I set the resolution higher than 1024x768. The actual game works with higher resolutions but when level ends the game always crashes on higher resolutions.

I have seen several people, here and on other forums, get all giddy about Baldur's Gate finally being available on GOG, like that justifies this nonsense. You guys do realize that the 4 in 1 boxset has been available for a few years now, right?

For example, Amazon has it right now to $15.

Wait until Planescape: Torment is available to get excited.

Be upset with their shenanigans or don't, but if you are upset, then BG is a silly reason to forgive them.

Wankers. :tdown:

But I forgive them, it's too good a collection of games.

I have seen several people, here and on other forums, get all giddy about Baldur's Gate finally being available on GOG, like that justifies this nonsense. You guys do realize that the 4 in 1 boxset has been available for a few years now, right?

For example, Amazon has it right now to $15.

Wait until Planescape: Torment is available to get excited.

Be upset with their shenanigans or don't, but if you are upset, then BG is a silly reason to forgive them.

I actually have one of these, as a matter of fact.

It crashes 15 minutes into play, without fail.

So I'm happy GOGs technomagi have gotten their hands on it.

That said, I do not forgive them this bullshit. Even if one of the co-founders is French, he operates an internet business. He should have understood the reaction a stunt like this would get.

They can still have my business, my glee and my nostalgia, but forgiveness is a time coming. (Albeit, Baldur's Gate goes a long way towards assuaging that.)

I actually have one of these, as a matter of fact.

It crashes 15 minutes into play, without fail.

So I'm happy GOGs technomagi have gotten their hands on it.

That said, I do not forgive them this bullshit. Even if one of the co-founders is French, he operates an internet business. He should have understood the reaction a stunt like this would get.

They can still have my business, my glee and my nostalgia, but forgiveness is a time coming. (Albeit, Baldur's Gate goes a long way towards assuaging that.)

Weird. I'm playing BG 1 now, on a Vista machine, and it runs fine. Do you have the latest patches from BioWare's site? I had a plain install, then recently I installed the Baldur's Gate Trilogy mod, so I could play it with the BG2 engine, and it still works fine.

I remember there being problems when I tried playing on an XP install, I think a combination of the latest patch, and a mod I was using, but there it wouldn't even let me start the game

Weird. I'm playing BG 1 now, on a Vista machine, and it runs fine. Do you have the latest patches from BioWare's site? I had a plain install, then recently I installed the Baldur's Gate Trilogy mod, so I could play it with the BG2 engine, and it still works fine.

I remember there being problems when I tried playing on an XP install, I think a combination of the latest patch, and a mod I was using, but there it wouldn't even let me start the game

It has only had these problems since my last reformat, so I suspect it is something along the lines of;

- Something I had to get after my reformat that I didn't need before

or

- The cosmos fucking with me because I play Baldur's Gate 2 far too much.

It also does this with the Infinity Engine Ultimate Collection bit that I have used as backups, as my Infinity Engine games are some of the few I actually take care of the discs for.

And of course, I have all the requisite patches for both games, etc. I use Tutu mod for the BG2 engine in BG1 idea, but since both games are experiencing the problem. . .I'unno.

So I'm hoping GOG works its techno magic and allows everything to go smoothly.

Edits: And because it's still not up, I bid this sequence of waking hours À bientôt.

Further editations: So I've been playing BG since I woke up about two hours ago, and it makes me realize just how much of a wishy-washy fool I am about nostalgia. I've acted like I'm watching a favorite B-Movie the entire time, calling out warning to NPCs that most certainly cannot hear me.

Oh, and the thing that struck me most. Remember when BG's cinematic was pretty high quality? Gods, I feel old today.

Also, I'm playing a bard. Remember those? Excuse me, arthritis is acting up.

Edited by Orvidos

Baldur's Gate? Abra-ca-purchased. Not happy about the shit that they pulled here, but as long as they keep on providing classics, re-jiggering them to work on Vista/7, without DRM, and reasonably cheap, I just can't stay mad at them. They pulled a stupid marketing stunt, yes, but as far as online stores for games go, they've got one of the best things going.

Hmmm... I'd buy BG1 again just to kill Drizzt and get his uber gear one more time!

And to listen to the guy shouting: "SO SAYETH THE WISE ALAUNDO..."

Hmmm... I'd buy BG1 again just to kill Drizzt and get his uber gear one more time!

And to listen to the guy shouting: "SO SAYETH THE WISE ALAUNDO..."

You're thinking BG2.

Well, partially.

(His gear is much better in 2.)

There was no reason to do this technically speaking, so, yes it was a PR stunt. The issue I have with it is that it lasted so long. If it was like half a day everybody would be going "SILLY GOG! :woohoo:". But because of the huge downtime, everybody is going "OMG I HATE YOU! :(" and never buying from them again.

They've got Planescape Torment today and finally made me a customer, been wanting to play this for a long time.

They've got Planescape Torment today and finally made me a customer, been wanting to play this for a long time.

I just saw this on their Twitter feed. Looks like I'll be making my first GOG purchase when I get home.

I wonder how these games hold up... it's hard to go back while you have a lot of new shit to play in your plate constantly.

I go the disk set of BG 1 and 2 a while back. I played a lot, but i kinda petered out eventually when i hit a very slight stuttering bug every few seconds. I wasn't able to fix it and it began to drive me insane.

Still great though.

I always found PST a mess to look at:(

I wonder how these games hold up... it's hard to go back while you have a lot of new shit to play in your plate constantly.

I find with most old games it's optimal to never go back to them because doing so rapes my mind's eye memories of the games. There're some exceptions where the games were particularly incredible, but in most cases it does more damage than good (eg: Ocarina of Time). I like to leave most old game memories as just that: fond, nostalgic, happy memories. :tup:

There are quite some games that hold up quite well.

Adventure games usually hold up the best. Actions games not that often, the issue is that a lot of those action games have very jerky movement. Or at least, compared to games now. Also, the speed is seriously high compared to games now. If you can bare the low resolution on your enormous screen most good games from that time are still quite good today.

A lot of games I replayed after 10 years were still a lot of fun. The only real issue I had was with Crusader No Remorse and No Regret. That really didn't play well anymore.

Yeah, smart cookies them.

They are forgiven. Fickle beasts, we gamers.

I'm not going to get any FME done today. . .

I just registered with GOG to purchase Planescape: Torment and it looks like they've giving away free copies of Beneath a Steel Sky, Teen Agent and Lure of the Temptress.

Free copies of freeware games?

Colour me impressed.

This recent stunt pissed me off to the point of swearing never to buy from them again... but hey, Planescape: Torment. What recent stunt?