Sleepdance

Good Old GOG

Hopefully, whatever they reveal will be akin to the original GOG. I had never used it, but it looked cool.

Hopefully, if they come back, what they reveal is that they had a legitimate crisis or reason for closing, and this isn't a PR stunt to launch the non-beta "1.0" version or whatever. That would depress me.

Not really knowing a whole lot about the corporate chain behind GOG, I think it would be sweet if they got eaten up VALVe. The only reason I didn't buy games off there is because I am a huge Steam fan boy, I know this is an awful thing to say but I just really like having to type in one password when my computer turns on and have all my games in front of my eyes. Sure Steam is a form of DRM but it is one that keeps my games organized and I can play anyone of them when I want with almost no hassle.

When I recently reformatted my computer Steam was invaluable in keeping my games organized, no rummaging throughout my house for CD keys or discs. With GOG I would have to go through the whole "I forgot my password" email exchange because I would never log on after I got a game, then re download the installer or whatever they use to get the games running(dosbox?) And I would do this for every game I had from there, and for old games that I would probably rarely play this would be too much of a hassle for my lazy ass.

I'm fairly un-thrilled about the whole deal because there are games I got from GOG like Lords of Magic and Aquanox (which, admittedly, the latter is now on Steam) that I will never find in stores again. I also had high hopes they'd eventually nab the rights to digital distribution for the Infinity Engine games.

Bah.

And humbug.

GOG is owned/run/started by CD Projekt, of The Witcher fame.

They are a good developer. ):

It looks like a PR stunt. I'm glad these guys are re-injecting paranoia into the digital download market, it's exactly what it needs.

I hope they come back, gog.com had a lot of games that you couldn't purchase from anywhere else. If it really shuts down, torrent sites will be the only method to get some of those games :tdown:

Gog.com, PCDL ;)

But they promised to release a patch for the games so you can play them without the client in case they went bankrupt and stuff.

But they promised to release a patch for the games so you can play them without the client in case they went bankrupt and stuff.

I think you're thinking of Steam. GOG.com doesn't have a client.

And also there's no proof of Valve ever saying that beside some guy on a forum who has a quote form Gabe saved in a text file and a link to a Steam thread that no longer exists. U:

Well, GoG is not a big miss for me. I just got Beneath A Steel Sky from there at it was free, but I already had it thanks to the ScummVM freeware release of BASS and I'll soon get the BASS DC version if/when they release it in Steam. The only bought game I got from GoG was Blood 2 and it worked perfectly. So thanks GoG for that, I didn't even search yet what all kinds of games they had there. I also have the installer saved up on the hard drive so I don't need that anymore either.

I think you're thinking of Steam. GOG.com doesn't have a client.

And also there's no proof of Valve ever saying that beside some guy on a forum who has a quote form Gabe saved in a text file and a link to a Steam thread that no longer exists. U:

Whoosh!

I was somewhat trying to point out that even when gog.com is gone you can still play your games.

Well, GoG is not a big miss for me. I just got Beneath A Steel Sky from there at it was free, but I already had it thanks to the ScummVM freeware release of BASS and I'll soon get the BASS DC version if/when they release it in Steam. The only bought game I got from GoG was Blood 2 and it worked perfectly. So thanks GoG for that, I didn't even search yet what all kinds of games they had there. I also have the installer saved up on the hard drive so I don't need that anymore either.

So far gog.com had little to offer me. I already own a copy of the games they have I'm interested it. I think, I actually never bothered to go back and check out they new offerings.

There are however still quite some gogs I am interested in, but they don't have it. Like Toonstruck, or good old quarantine.

I'm not really going to miss GOG, I had a PC when these games came out and I already own most of the good games they have, and the obscure ones tend to be a bit rubbish....

If only Good Old Games actually sold OLD games and not games that are barely more than years old!

I want early 80's games dammit! :oldman:

I don't care if it's a PR stunt - I hope they come back. There are still many many games in their catalogue I want to buy. (independence war series for example)

I've never used the service, but I could understand how this could hurt publishers; however, it's not like they were making money on these games before GOG...

But really, why no DRM? I understand the whole "DRM" is evil thing. But who would consider a service like Steam evil? If they have publisher issues, they should do Valve's brand of DRM.

OK, how about some early 90's games? Those were at least cheesy fun!

Hey! My favourite games were all made in the 90's.

Whoosh!

I was somewhat trying to point out that even when gog.com is gone you can still play your games.

Well, fine, but that doesn't make it not a bad thing.

GOG.com is/was awesome.

If you had the lot downloaded at the time.

If you had the lot downloaded at the time.

Well, they claim they will have a solution for people to download their games.

I hope the service will continue. It does seem very suspicious. To just suddenly go down like that? Over the weekend?

Weird. I'm not sure how much attention it would garnish them anyway. People like us thumbs have opinions on the GOG service, but I'm not sure how much of a general Internet-using audience they can realistically reach.