Irishjohn

Steel Batallion: Heavy Armor for Kinect

So...

http://www.destructoid.com/tgs-steel-battalion-heavy-armor-for-kinect-announced-184022.phtml

Yeah. This is nuts. I never had a chance to play the original. I haven't been even remotely interested in the Kinect but it's kind of cool they're going to do things like this. Unless this is the only interesting thing they ever do.

I got so excited...then I saw Kinect...

Here I was pretty sure and hoping there wouldn't be anything to tempt me to get Kinect. Why does Steel Battalion always force you to use a completely useless, expensive peripheral?

Ha ha, I know, right?

I don't know... it's going to be really interesting to see what they do with it. I've been completely down on Kinect and Playstation Move but could bringing the crazy make it work maybe?

So the obvious joke would be that it still costs 200$ to play Steel Battalion. :hah:

Have they explained how this will actually work?

Pretending to press a lot of air-buttons doesn't seem particularly apealing...

I can only hope it's like that.

You are the mech.

I can only hope it's like that.

But maybe more like this...

XI8tDAytsKo

I hope they use voice control so you can be like COMPUTER! SIGMA DELTA SIGMA and then you go into involuntary muscles spasms and your robot launches its entire arsenal into the environment, devastating the game world. And then Ron Perlman's War Never Changes voiceover plays over the game as your robot is still convulsing wildly, trying to expend its exhausted reserves of ammunition.

I just want to know how this fits into the larger SB fiction, if at all. It's 2 years later, and it looks like technology has regressed by about 130 years (except for the part where there are bipedal tanks). The previous games were on the other side of the world, so maybe the USA has just been backward and shitty all along?

I fear this will be Steel Battalion in name only. Also, I am the worst kind of dork.

So the game that had a million buttons now has zero?

I guess it will either be a forgettable on rails shooter, or a broken tech demo....

I heard the Kinect can't even detect single finger actions, which doesn't bode well at all! ;(

knzvIyY9uO8

This trailer is hilarious, i love it.

Game is controlled with, disappointingly, a 360 pad. (I was holding out hope for another ridiculous joystick peripheral.)

Kinect is used for looking around the interior of your mech, doing things like starting the engine and using mounted turrets, or interacting with your mech crew. (You have to manage your team's morale, high five for a job well done! Seriously.)

I really hate the mech designs, they're so wide they shouldn't be able to lift a foot off the ground, let alone walk.

I was literally LOLing by the end of that trailer. The tagline, especially, is priceless.

I really hate the mech designs, they're so wide they shouldn't be able to lift a foot off the ground, let alone walk.

What.

What.

I think their dumb mechas that are trying to look believable are straining believability.

They wouldn't be able to shift weight to either side enough to walk.

I am being a nerd.

A silicon-eating microbe destroys every computer on the planet...

Holy shit! How will we let this happen?

I think the computers would be the least of our problems.

I think their dumb mechas that are trying to look believable are straining believability.

They wouldn't be able to shift weight to either side enough to walk.

I am being a nerd.

But no mech in any mech game would ever work. This is madness!

AMAZING.

Ok, but actual gameplay.

QmdYQolndec

This game looks weird, the mech combat at the core of it looks pretty great, but all of this kinect stuff looks so gimmicky and forced

There's been rumors that the development has been very troubled.

I really don't know what to make of it, but the hysterically sincere tone has me wanting to play it now.

Sold, but if you think that is sincere then you don't know From Software. There are little things that they are having fun with (guy urinating on the cactus, the deliberateness in which you climb up, wave the water at the colleague and then drink it anway) that I feel shows they are still prone to adding humour in their game in some shape or form.

If the gameplay really is like that then I am sold. They just need to make sure that they build the Kinect features in so as to not make them to janky.

Sold, but if you think that is sincere then you don't know From Software. There are little things that they are having fun with (guy urinating on the cactus, the deliberateness in which you climb up, wave the water at the colleague and then drink it anway) that I feel shows they are still prone to adding humour in their game in some shape or form.

I guess i haven't played any From games where they've had much of a sense of humor on display, though i've heard some pretty hilarious things about Ninja Blade.

If Heavy Armor is self-aware about all this ridiculousness, i am in love.

Oh man, Metal Wolf Chaos, Ninja Blade, Enchanted Arms, even the Otogi and Armoured Core series have a wry sense of humour. Dark Souls has the sickest of humours of all.

Maybe I am reading too much into it, but it all seemed perfectly set up for the slightly serious, with dabs of tongue-in-cheek sensibility that From Software are known for.

Oh man, Metal Wolf Chaos, how could i have forgotten that game?

Though i can't say i've ever really noticed much humor in Armored Core or the Souls games, which are the From games i am most familiar with. They always seemed very pervasively morose in tone.

Shades of it in Dark Souls, perhaps. Kingseeker Frampt is pretty great.

Alright, alright.

Ok, i feel way better about Heavy Armor now, realizing that From is certainly aware of what they're making.