twmac

Earth Defence Force sequel

I was going to post about Dark Star One: Broken Alliance.

But then someone linked this on my facebook account:

http://www.qj.net/qjnet/news/new-earth-defense-force-game-coming-next-year.html

I don't care how they want to deliver this to me, be it PS3, Wii, mobile-fucking-phone. I will buy this game.

This better happen soon or I may have to murder people.

I was going to post about Dark Star One: Broken Alliance.

But then someone linked this on my facebook account:

http://www.qj.net/qjnet/news/new-earth-defense-force-game-coming-next-year.html

I don't care how they want to deliver this to me, be it PS3, Wii, mobile-fucking-phone. I will buy this game.

This better happen soon or I may have to murder people.

Read about this yesterday. Am psyched. I'd love a bit more variety in mission type/creature type, but even if it's just more of the same, It'll likely be a day one perch.

Toblix, it has been mentioned in the forums a couple of times. Mainly by me:

http://www.idlethumbs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5746&highlight=2017

http://www.idlethumbs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6900&highlight=2017

And yes, it is an awesome game that you have never heard of.

I would happily settle for them remaking Earth defence force 2 and re-introducing the extra playable character, creatures and missions.

NJTJlOnkxFI

EDF3 is the OutRun 2 of this generation. Please let EDF4 be the OutRun 2006!

I will cry if the new one's not on 360 with online co-op.

EDIT: looks pretty likely that it's 360 considering some guy on twitter knew about it in July.:tup: Edited by Raff

YES! First Deadly Premonition comes to Europe and now this? I'm in my happy place! X3

They should Onechanbara route and have the soldiers fight in bikinis and Japanese school girl outfits, even if they are all males! And make the space bugs zombie ninjas!:clap:

Toblix, it has been mentioned in the forums a couple of times. Mainly by me:

Yeah, it seems like every time this game comes up it turns into you and I drooling over how fucking great it is while most other people stand around confused.

@Miffy

hahaha yeah, the baffled responses of some people on this forum mirror those of the people I talk to in real life. I show them some footage or actual gameplay and they just sort frown in a combination of disbelief and confusion:

Them: This is the game you love more than anything?

Me: Yup

Them: Okaaay

Of course, then I make them play it for a few hours and everything changes, mostly.

I couldn't spend much time this morning going on about how excited I am for this sequel of sorts but now I will. Earth Defence Force 2017 is still one of my most loved games. Its arcade simplicity, coupled with the levelling and collecting that goes on. The fact that the game encourages you to replay the game on ever increasing difficulties. The absolutely ridiculously implemented achievements (it has the least number of any game). In Edge's article looking back on this game it is true that the philosophy EDF has (if you can call it that) is such a throwback to more innocent times. However, the create your own set piece style with the open City and multiple routes in most levels combined with the two player Co-Op means it is never just simple. Gold, pure joyous, nutty gold.

All I ask is for more of the same with new weapons and more alien variations, I am not even going to demand Xbox LIVE as part of the joy is sitting on a sofa with another person.

Don't worry, I'm here too. I finished 2017 the day it came out in europe.:grin:

Part of the fun is also controlling two characters (one with turrets) on your own to farm armor...

Sweet, so I now know 4 people who will buy this when it comes out.

Going to get in touch with D3 to see if there is anymore info.

Yeah, looks like they have an 'art director' this time who's doing his best to space-marine-it-up, but I think it looks ok overall. 3 player online co-op!

One of the best things about 2017 was the squad banter which I can't see being carried over, which will probably be a shame.

20km underground surrounded by giant acid-spitting ants: "Let's head back and grab a bite to eat!"

We'll see.

EDIT: oh, I see, it's actually being made by Vicous Cycle instead of Sandlot. That is a bit more worrying. Nothing against them, but still.

Edited by Raff

Dk-bM-2j9ic

Looking a bit worrying. The gameplay footage has a crappy sense of scale, hardly any enemies on screen and looks pretty slow paced. And no bouncy ant corpses.

Also, there's no split-screen which is a huge shame.

It occurs to me there are a lot of wasted opportunities in how to present this game to the public. I'd have chosen to have only crazy generals with sunglasses barking orders (and game features) as spokespersons. I think, in taking this game seriously, they're doing it a disservice.

I am very conflicted by that video. The guy talking, clearly loves EDF (you don't name drop Lysander Z like that unless you know what you are talking about), and a lot of the improvements sound good it is just that the videos don't look right.

The explosions aren't daft enough, there aren't enough creatures onscreen and the game looks a little too serious.

I am still excited about this but I am hoping that they will insert some more 'silly' into the game.

New video and the split screen co-op is good news, but, but, but...

http://kotaku.com/5679657/twice-the-bug+killing-in-earth-defense-force-insect-armageddon

The main characters look like the guys from Crackdown. Is that good? I am not sure. I miss the crappy 'twisting at the waist' style of 2017.

Maybe this is just an early build and they are going to add more enemies soon.

Good news, but yeah still too little going on there.

I find it funny how journalists go on and on about how simple and dumb EDF is, which it is, but so are dozens of other games which they treat much more seriously.

Well it has been a while but EDF: Insect Armageddon has a release date in North America, it is the 1st of March. The price is only 39.99 so I will be putting my pre-order in today or tomorrow:

http://edfia.com/

I wrote a little bit about it on Aracadian Rhythms and will getting a review up for it a few days after release.

Bring it!

Pre-ordered as well. If it's half as fun as EDF 2017 was co-op, it'll be money well spent.

It has now been delayed until the 5th of July.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooo:zoid:

Yeah, I saw that yesterday. I'd say "it'll come out when it's ready" but I think making this TOO good would entirely miss the point...

So yeah, it is going to be out very soon. Raff has already posted about it.

Sno said that it broke street date, anyone one of the lucky people who got it?

Buddy of mine picked up a copy and says it's pretty awesome.

Outside of the brown/realistic visuals, which the devs are talking up as a concession to just try and get more people in the west to play it, it apparently does a pretty awesome job retaining the b-movie tone. (The main character is named Lightning Alpha, which i think is a pretty amusing spin on the name of the protagonist in Sandlot's own games.)

Glad to see that EDF:IA isn't an outright disaster, at least.

If it does well, maybe we'll get Sandlot's next EDF game too. Those guys make just such weird and interesting action games, and we have seen disappointingly few of them in North America. (Just two, to be exact, just Robot Alchemic Drive and EDF 2017. Europe fared better, with localizations of all of the EDF games.)