Garple

Tokyo Jungle

What do you mean «better come out in Europe?» I was going to go home today and buy this – will I be fucked by lawyers?

edit: Apparently it'll be out on Tueseday/Wednesday next week.

M-m-m-m-m-onster edit!!! They will release the next Call of Duty as a cheap-o downloadable game in Japan, and Giantu 巨大な爆弾 omberu will laugh at our games.

My friend with the PS3 is super pumped about this game and plans to buy it the moment it becomes available on PSN. I have no clue why, but it sounds intriguing enough to watch him struggle through.

What do you mean «better come out in Europe?» I was going to go home today and buy this – will I be fucked by lawyers?

edit: Apparently it'll be out on Tueseday/Wednesday next week.

M-m-m-m-m-onster edit!!! They will release the next Call of Duty as a cheap-o downloadable game in Japan, and Giantu 巨大な爆弾 omberu will laugh at our games.

That's good to know, you never know with the PSN store, you might get the game a week earlier than the US, a month later or never at all. :|

I can't see what's on Kotaku, all I can see is a giant flash ad for some Bruce Willis movie infront of all the text.

I watched the GB Quick Look though and wow. I expected it to be some dumb novelty thing, but it actually seems like a super cool game. I wanna play that!

Okay, so I tried this. When I'm killed, I'm given a score and thrown back out in the menu, forced to restart with no real progress, which feels brutal. What, if there is any, is the progression in this game? Does it expect you to do all the challenges in one go without being killed? What am I missing? If there is a progression state I'm missing, is it per animal?

I played it for like six hours at a friend's. It's basically a score attack game, with the challenges increasing your stats and the breeding aspect giving you extra lives. Unlocking other animals involves crossing the map to some out-of-the-way place and defeating a certain boss, in accordance with a given challenge. Whatever systemic elements like hunger, toxicity, and ecology are present, they are largely superficial and must be gamed anyway to perform well in the survival mode. It's definitely not the game I thought it'd be, but fun enough once you approach it from an arcade, high-score mentality.

What I really love is the clothing/gear aspect. Nothing is so distinctively Japanese as dressing my beagle in a see-through camisole for +5 defense.

I watched the Giant Bomb quicklook, and the game looks very unique and all, but the animal-on-animal violence is suprisingly shocking. Actually, I don't know which is more shocking: the animal violence, or the fact that portrayed animal violence irks me more than portrayed human violence.

There's also fairly graphic animal sex (butt-sniffing and mounting, then the screen goes dark and you hear howling while your controller vibrates). Initially, it gave me the same uncomfortable ability to form an opinion on it as the pixelated nudity from The Sims, but then I played like three more hours and was howling along with them. Games are weird like that.

I finally started to play the game, I'm concentrating on getting everything for story mode.

I'm still not sure how to unlock animals, I know there are challenges, but are they all exclusive for each animal? What I mean is that if only one animal can unlock another. I played the free DLC characters and those don't seem to unlock anything.

I'm enjoying it a lot though. When playing as the deer I got lost in the sewer and barely made it out of there since there is no plants to eat... only to arrive shortly later at the zoo full of lions! D:

I've beaten Story Mode which makes the game worth even if you don't like Survival mode. The plot is rather stupid, but all crazy Japanese game have dumb plots.

And story mode is a real challenge, stealth stages (a bit unforgiving, but very doable), stages where you fight enemies much bigger than you and a ridiculously awesome final boss!

I'm not sure if I'll get all the unlockable though, the requirements are getting higher and higher! You have to complete more and more challenges before you can even start the challenge that unlock the next animal, then again, you probably need those challenges anyway to have enough survival points to afford them.

So I played this all weekend and had a lot of fun with it. Unlocked some of the baisc characters (Cat, Chick, Gazelle) and mucked around with the systems. I like that the amount of food in each area fluctuates and seems to be affected by pollution and heat as well as an increase or decrease of certain animals.

The unlocks seem a little punishing and I am not sure that I will play it for much longer but it was definitely worth experiencing.

I picked this up last week and got totally hooked. I've unlocked the Cat and the Gazelle, played the Sika Deer once and the Pomeranian twice, as well as the first three levels of Story Mode as I unlocked them. Given my free time lately, that's a tonne of gaming for me. It's really rad. I wasn't sure about this game, as usually stuff that's just "endless mode" turns me off, I like a narrative to pull me through. I've been surprised by how much I've loved playing this game though. Can't wait to play more.

So this isn't really relevant and anyone can feel free to ignore me, but...

Last night I was lying in bed thinking about random shit, when suddenly I remembered this game called Animal Quest I used to play when I was a wee lad. It's a crap game, but the basic concept (play as various animals, survive by eating other animals, or avoiding them if they're your predator) has a lot of potential for awesome. Then I realized, oh, someone had already delivered on that potential in pretty much the same way I was thinking. Tokyo Jungle!

I wish I had a PS3 so I could enjoy Tokyo Jungle's insanity.

I have a house guest right now, sleeping next to my PS3. Otherwise I'd probably be playing this game. It's all good though, I'm doing homework like a responsible person. Still though, Tokyo Jungle...

Despite myself, I played it again last night and unlocked the Beagle and the pig. The game is clever in the way it sets up the challenges and makes you start moving around the map with the promise of finding something new and interesting.

Desperately trying to get a 3000KCal challenge with the Gazelle caused me to outrun a Crocodille and end up in a Lion's den where I got ripped apart.

Will probably try out the Beagle at some point this week. Want to unlock the Rabbit so that I can get my hands on the Porcupine.

Don't worry, you'll have to fully investigate the map anyway to get all the data sticks for story mode.

So this isn't really relevant and anyone can feel free to ignore me, but...

Last night I was lying in bed thinking about random shit, when suddenly I remembered this game called Animal Quest I used to play when I was a wee lad. It's a crap game, but the basic concept (play as various animals, survive by eating other animals, or avoiding them if they're your predator) has a lot of potential for awesome. Then I realized, oh, someone had already delivered on that potential in pretty much the same way I was thinking. Tokyo Jungle!

I wish I had a PS3 so I could enjoy Tokyo Jungle's insanity.

Haha I remember playing way too much of Animal Quest when I was younger. I remember it being incredibly easy.

Yeah it was super easy, no matter what you picked, heh.

You guys. This game. This game, you guys. Shit.

I just had one of the more emotionally affecting moments that a game has given me this year (still haven't played Walking Dead, though by reputation it will trump this) when I was playing as a fucking deer. I'd gone to so much effort to get to this herd of gazelle. I'd hid under a recycling bin to sneak by hyenas (Metal Deer Solid!), watched my brother sacrifice himself so that I had a chance to escape a cheetah, and had stealthed my way past a group of fucking velociraptors in order to get there. I'd actually held my breath in the real world a couple of times because I was so invested in this little fawn surviving. Then I get to these goddamned gazelles and they completely snub me. I'm an orphaned deer whose brother just died to get me to safety, and these gazelles just look at me and turn the other direction. Jerks.

Also, I unlocked a pig. I will play as that tomorrow or Saturday. This game is fucking great.