dpp

WTF is Telltale's new game?

It must be true!

I saw Ron Gilbert actually confirm that on Twitter but then pull the tweet. Unfortunately I didn't get a screenshot.

mmmk I quickly looked in this thread for max ides and seeing that it was mentioned once but not about this

pokername.png

thank you very much telltale fellows :D Max ides is definitely one of my fav thumbisms or what ever one calls it.

Oh man, Poker Night was patched today and it happened right in time for me. I already thought that I lost my mojo. Lost game after game for a while now, after making 210K with most games played on "hard" (except for the first few games).

But now I realize: it wasn't me! The game was simply broken. ;) I just played two more games and won both (on "hard"). :grin: Especially the Heads Ups are less of a pain now. I was constantly losing, because they tried stealing the Blinds like mad all the time. When I called, I usually lost due bad luck (think two pair (10, K) against three sixes on river). :deranged:

Great bug fixes... I finally won a hand (Main Pot) with a Flush and I didn't get my achievement :tdown::tdown::tdown:

Plus the Strong Bad deck is still broken. As is the "one on one" camera.

Love the new "Main Pot"/"Side Pot" breakdowns, and the min raise changes, though. Also, I finally saw a Tell (Strong Bad slamming his head on the table and then declaring, "I'm good!". Hilarious!)

post-94-13375603321285_thumb.jpg

Hm that sucks. That doesn't look like the Strong Bad deck that should be in the patch. Bummer.

I'm loving this crazy game! Never would've thought I'd enjoy Video Poker of all things, but if anyone can bring me around to a genre I thought I hated, it's Telltale.

I hope this game sells well so you guys can make more "traditional" games using wacky-ass characters. It's such a cool concept.

There was a patch? Hmm, I still can't even get the game to launch on my laptop ;(

[edit]

-startwindowed fixed it, I can finally play this :tup:

Edited by wahwah

Wohooo! I just achieved "Four of a Kind". This was the second to last achievement that is still missing (last beeing "Straight Flush"). :woohoo:

I've already spent more than 19 hours with this game. I'm in love with the quirky characters of my opponents. The voice performances are spot-on.

Speaking of voices there is one annoying flaw though. And it's a flaw which is inherent to most Telltale games: the sound quality of the voice recordings. The used encoding, respectively the compression factor create heavy distortion (especially well perceivable in "s", "sh" and "th" sounds).

I already created a thread about this on the Telltale forums over a year ago (see here) - among several other threads by other people talking about the very same problem -, but Telltale never acknowledged this flaw.

I presume that "2_CelebrityPoker_pc_voice.ttarch" is the container for the voice files, which is 29,7 MB in size. Upping the file size by a factor of two would increase the overall size of the installation from 364 MB to 394 MB - or 8%. While the overall increase is negligible, I'm certain the sound quality would increase dramatically.

It's really sad to realize that nobody at Telltale seems to be aware of this issue. Either nobody is able to really perceive it (I doubt it) or nobody cares to change something in this regard, as there are not enough players complaining about this issue.

hmpf...

I decided to play this game by going all-in every time. So far 50 wins, 30 loses (had a losing streak).

When a special item is on the table the chance of losing increases a lot.

My best win so far, is 4 rounds.

It's really sad to realize that nobody at Telltale seems to be aware of this issue. Either nobody is able to really perceive it (I doubt it) or nobody cares to change something in this regard, as there are not enough players complaining about this issue.

They are aware of it, they even released a patch for a TMI episode if I recall correctly. That episode initially had the worst 's' sounds in any game ever. But it sucks that they care so little about this problem and keep obsessing over file size for some reason.

I presume that "2_CelebrityPoker_pc_voice.ttarch" is the container for the voice files, which is 29,7 MB in size. Upping the file size by a factor of two would increase the overall size of the installation from 364 MB to 394 MB - or 8%. While the overall increase is negligible, I'm certain the sound quality would increase dramatically.

Big fat LOL to people at Telltale not knowing or caring about it. Things like that do not happen arbitrarily, especially when creating a video game. I wish that a magic accident fairy was responsible for the audio compression in release builds of Telltale games, but it is a deliberate choice. It's not an aspect of our games that I like, but it's also something I have no control over.

Big fat LOL to people at Telltale not knowing or caring about it. Things like that do not happen arbitrarily, especially when creating a video game. I wish that a magic accident fairy was responsible for the audio compression in release builds of Telltale games, but it is a deliberate choice. It's not an aspect of our games that I like, but it's also something I have no control over.

You can LOL as much as you like, but I really don't understand, why bad voice compression in games which heavily rely on dialogs can be a deliberate choice. Why messing everything up in one if not the final and probably most inexpensive link in the chain of actions necessary for creating the in-game dialogs? I just don't get it (especially in concideration of other games which deliver superior quality in this regard despite not beeing particularly dialog-driven.).

It's not an aspect of our games that I like, but it's also something I have no control over.

I knew audio compression was noticeable and unfortunate on the Wii, but I didn't know it factored into the PC versions as well. People may have hated the Soda Poppers less if they were in 5.1 surround sound!

Maybe that is Telltale's evil scheme---to release special editions of the DVD seasons in stunning audio and in 1080p 3D!

Maybe that is Telltale's evil scheme---to release special editions of the DVD seasons in stunning audio and in 1080p 3D!

Regarding DVD releases: I bought the DVD edition of Sam & Max: Season One back then and it suffered from the same crappy compression artifacts as the downloadable version (the used files in both versions are likely the same).

Injurious statement regarding Quanta's mother.

General statement regarding TellTale as awesome.

Pointless quip about PNatI exploits.

(I'm sorry, I've been rereading the Order of the Stick archives today.)

Like Jake said, it's not something they wouldn't be aware of. That is, in fact, a rather idiotic statement (some offence) to say that a company is not aware of how their games are produced.

Sure bugs exists, but I'm sure if it weren't intentional, someone would find out (on a polish pass or what-have-you) and point it out, and it would get rectified. Thus, as Jake pointed out, it's done, will be done, etc.

On topic: RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE. The one thing I want is Tycho's watch and he's just too damn crafty for me on Hard. Might as well knock the setting down.

This may be a dumb question, but the sound quality is great for me. Are you sure you have "high quality" set in your preferences? TellTale games sound approx 5 million times better than they used to.

I'm more upset at not getting my Flush achievement, despite winning a hand with a Flush!

Are you sure you have "high quality" set in your preferences?

I'm not sure what setting do you mean exactly. Is it in Windows? Where do I find this? I'm using Windows 7.

Anyway, the ironic thing is that the armpit fart wavefiles on the other hand are of a tremendous quality! They are mono PCMs with an impressive resolution of 24 bit * 44100 Hz (as a reference: 16-bit * 44100 Hz is the resolution of an Audio CD).

I know it's impossible to provide lossless 24 bit files for minutes or even hours of dialog. But I'm unable to reproduce the distinctive distortions even if I recompress a dialog track from an Audio CD to a mono channel OGG file with quality factor set to -1 (which created a file with an average bitrate of 35 kbps or 262.5 KB/min in my case). But Telltale may use a very different codec. I don't know what codec and parameters Telltale actually uses for their games.

I've never noticed any distortion.

It's not the best quality, but it's a far cry from whatever horrible thing you're trying to describe.

I'm guessing the people who do make these decisions at Telltale also don't really hear it. I do hear it and having this problem return after it was fixed in recent Telltale titles is just depressing.