Snooglebum

Is anybody a sad human like me, and have not played any LucasArts adventure games?

Man, I've never played any of those games. I couldn't really get into Simon the Sorcerer recently either. Should I try?

Apparently, for Scotia the world isn't worth a damn if it doesn't have Bill & Ted in it.

Man, I've never played any of those games. I couldn't really get into Simon the Sorcerer recently either. Should I try?

You should at least try. :tup:

Simon the Sorcerer was weird, the most I played of that was a demo of the first one on Amiga.

I did later get those on PC and play through them. Simon was slooooooooooooooooow walking.

eh, I don't think Simon is worth the effort, the second more so than the first. I'm sure my sense of humor has changed over the years since I last played them, so perhaps I'd appreciate them more now, but I thought the first was unmemorable (as in I'm trying, but I can't recall more than a couple screens) and the second was distasteful in addition to being unmemorable.

Adventure Soft’s true gem is The Feeble Files. Now, there's a game that's worth playing. A word of caution, however, Feeble walks painfully slow. Just be patient and enjoy the game.

Edited by Moosferatu

Adventure Soft’s true gem is The Feeble Files. Now, there's a game that's worth playing. A word of caution, however, Feeble walks painfully slow. Just be patient and enjoy the game.

I never played that actually, I've propably played all other games that they made, even the Horror Soft games.

I think that slow walking was *a feature* in Adventure Soft games.

The sad thing about Feeble Files is that it has that horrible god-awful terrible shitty 90s LET'S JUMP ON THE 3D BANDWAGON™ look. The game was fun, but I have this irrational hateful reaction when I see that stuff, fueled by all the fine games that could've been awesome, but were 3D instead. I'm not saying Feeble Files is bad because of it, but it really detracts from the experience because I keep thinking of all the beautiful hand-drawn art 3D has taken away from us over the years.

I can no longer enjoy Simon the Sorcerer, I liked it as a kind, but it's not that it's bad, it's the voice actor... Chris Barrie!

I love Chris Barrie, but he always plays a smug :cens0r:, so now when I play the game I think that Simon is a smug :cens0r:....

Come to think of it, most adventure "heroes" are :cens0r:, they nick anything that isn't nailed down, and find a hammer to get the nails off what isn't and while they don't go shooting people, they will ruin your day MINIMUM if not your life! :clap::woohoo::clap:

This thread is getting me nostalgic. And makes me want to ask what the worst and/or most obscure adventure game is you've played?

They're not horrible, though not in any way objectively good either, but I've played all the Adventure Company non-hidden object Poirot (Evil Under the Sun, And Then There Were None, Murder on the Orient Express) games because I'm a bit of an Agatha Christie fan.

Oh I also played Crime Stories which falls into that same category of not horrible, but not good either.

Looking over the titles on the dreamcatcher site, I'm tempted by some of those them even knowing full well that they're probably not good games. Guess I'm just a sucker for a mystery adventure game.

Holmes versus Jack the Ripper has a decent metacritic score and it's available on Steam? Is that the one that has the hilarious teleporting Watson?

Edited by juv3nal

The worst adventure games I've played are "Operation Stealth", an awful spy game and Dare To Dream, and adventure game by Cliffy B... I can see why he does shooters now.... XP

Chewy: Esc from F5 has the most annoying main character though! :frusty:

Damn, these spambots are getting clever. They're like 600 series now.

Well..I bought a copy of Last Express for $20 off ebay. I love the WWI era of history and the screenshots look amazing. With that and all the love on the podcast I have high hopes.

(hopefully it'll run)

Well..I bought a copy of Last Express for $20 off ebay. I love the WWI era of history and the screenshots look amazing. With that and all the love on the podcast I have high hopes.

(hopefully it'll run)

(It does)

Haha, I actually enjoy Simon 2 and 3 much more than the first one. Everyone universally hates 3, but I thought it was pretty good outside of the hideous graphics, painfully slow loading times, and ridiculously wide areas to walk around in.

I can see exactly why many wouldn't like Simon. The first game was very bland in many parts, the humor and characters are all pretty smug, and Simon is a complete asshole to everyone second game and on. The sexism is not always playful, but actually meanspirited in some cases. So while Guybrush can sit there and be creepy to Captain Kate, Simon would start insulting her body type instead.

Kyrandia as a series is way more accessible than the Simon series despite it having a wholly different interface and inventory system than most adventures. The only hang ups besides that is just the confusion of the third one and that you probably need to draw maps for almost all of the first game (or at least one specific portion).

Feeble Files was great though, I wasn't too bothered by the prerendered 3D stuff. I felt like they pulled it off pretty great for the time. The biggest bother for me is just how they encoded the videos where all of this compression garbage keeps getting left on the screen.

Feeble Files was great though, I wasn't too bothered by the prerendered 3D stuff. I felt like they pulled it off pretty great for the time. The biggest bother for me is just how they encoded the videos where all of this compression garbage keeps getting left on the screen.

Sure, I should just mention I first played this not many years ago.

I should play the Kyrandia games. Are they still available to purchase somewhere?

For me LucasArts were the main adventures worth playing, but I did enjoy some others, too:

Dark Seed was an interesting horror adventure game featuring the artwork of HR Giger.

Cruise for a Corpse was a lovely looking Agatha Christie style detective-em-up. Lots of talking and not much puzzling, as I recall. Beautiful artwork.

There were two FANTASTIC "Lost Files" Sherlock Holmes adventure games: The Case of the Serrated Scalpel and The Case of the Rose Tattoo. If you haven't played these, you're REALLY missing out.

Then of course there's Revolution's games: Lure of the Temptress (now freeware), Beneath A Steel Sky (with art from Dave Gibbons) and Broken Sword 1 and 2. All feature intelligent dialogue, great story and logical puzzles (although the goat puzzle in BS1 is still the most evil adventure game puzzle of all time).

I also really liked Blood Net, although it was technically an RPG. If you ignore the RPG elements, though, it had some wonderful dialogue.

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

Deary dear. Why aren't there festivities in the streets??

There was little to no press for it. I've just bought it, even though I have it for the Wii.

Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars is now joint first with HL2 for my most purchased game.

I really hate the story of the first two Broken Swords games (never played the 3d one(s?)). The first one rivals the Syberia series in the utter unpersuasiveness of protagonist's motives in starting the quest to begin with.

Dude's sitting in a coffee shop, a clown blows up or whatever, and he just cold decides to investigate the shit out of this event, even though he has no previously established investigative skills or involvement with what transpired. He was just at the wrong place at the wrong time, just short of collateral damage, in that he was completely unharmed. So there is no revenge motivation or anything. If he went to another one of the ten million coffee shops in Paris that weekend, the game would probably consist of him strolling through museums and studying métro maps for the duration of his vacation. The story has no beginning as far as I am concerned, and everything that follows is way too labored and awkward and unnecessary. The only reason George Braggart has to continue his quest at any point in the story is the unwillingness of the designers to let him observe the obvious—i.e. that he is very much not obliged to keep going on this weird scavenger hunt. Nothing else pulls him into the story. He stays with the story through brute force.

Did I miss the primary charm of this game? Sure, the art is lush, but it is also kindof stilted and stuffy. The structure is nothing notable, the mechanics are by the book, the puzzles lock you in small areas until you solve them, the story is awful—but hey! the engine does paralax shift! The first Broken Sword game is really more obnoxious than noteworthy. And the second one is worse (more linear, dumber story).

Did I miss the primary charm of this game? Sure, the art is lush, but it is also kindof stilted and stuffy. The structure is nothing notable, the mechanics are by the book, the puzzles lock you in small areas until you solve them, the story is awful—but hey! the engine does paralax shift! The first Broken Sword game is really more obnoxious than noteworthy. And the second one is worse (more linear, dumber story).

I think what sold the game was basically the art, animation, and... mystery?

I really don't know why Revolution is so praised. I really dislike every single one of their adventures I've played besides Broken Sword to some extent, except the first Broken Sword. But even the first Broken Sword isn't good enough for me to own a copy.

They all seem to suffer from really uneven narratives or just jumping from linear place to linear place. But I suppose there's a lot worse adventures out there at the same time, which I guess is the saving grace of almost every average or mediocre adventure. I refuse to play any more Revolution adventures after forcing myself to finish the trainwreck of the third Broken Sword game.

This kind of reminds of one time when I was a much nicer teenager and was somewhat more polite where I had spoke about how ugly, boring, lamely designed, and disappointing Gilbert Goodmate was on the AdventureGamers forums based on the demo I finished and some guy really got onto me for being so down on the game and claiming I was the type who prevented good adventures from being made and that I should not be so critical of a small company for trying. Guh.

The first one rivals the Syberia series in the utter unpersuasiveness of protagonist's motives in starting the quest to begin with.

You shut up. I loved the first Syberia although I couldn't really get into the 2nd one. The first one is explicitly fraught with this tension of her saying to herself "what the heck am I doing here, why don't I go home?" etc. It's very much "the point" of the game that her motives are unpersuasive because she's trying to persuade herself throughout the game.