Erkki

Epic Mickey

I like theHut.com, they charge only 1.3€ for shipping.. they have Epic Mickey pretty cheap right now, but.... Steam and GoG have engorged my backlog WAYYYY too much... I think I'll have time for it in about 20 years? :hah:

So now they announced Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two.

Junction Point and Warren Spector are still behind it, but for some really weird reason they are doing the Wii version instead of a Wii U version. I don't understand why they don't make this a launch title for Wii U?

Blitz Games are doing the PS3 and Xbox360 ports. Interesting decisions.

Here's the first trailer:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-23-ps3-epic-mickey-2-supports-move

Here's some screenshots:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-23-first-epic-mickey-2-screenshots-revealed

Epic Mickey was kind of a disappointment, so I hope this game is better game. I like the musical aspect in any case. Once bitten, twice shy, however, so I'm postponing any enthusiasm until after more is known.

Also the rumoured 3DS game is now confirmed.

It might be not just a port, but an actual different Epic Mickey game. At least title is different and I get a great Sega Mega Drive wibe out of it.

Dreamrift is the developer of the 3DS version.

Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion

Cover of latest Nintendo Power:

AjEzm.png

Article sneak peek from Nintendo Power webpage:

43BEu.jpg

Edited by Kolzig

So now they announced Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two.

Junction Point and Warren Spector are still behind it....

Guess they'd better rehire everyone they laid off then?

Fun fact: A coworker had interviewed with Junction Point before Epic Mickey started production in full force. The lead artist he had interviewed with checked to see if he had a girlfriend/wife as this apparently is a test often given by the interviewer to make sure he has job candidates who are dedicated to their job only and not some kind of outside spousal force. If only my coworker directly remembered this mother fucker's name.

Needless to say, my coworker was about to be married during that point in time and did not even bother following up.

Edited by syntheticgerbil

That sounds horrible, real ass business practises.

The 3DS developer Dreamrift has made only DS game Monster Tale, which wasn't released in Europe at all. The team is the former EA Hatsworth team that made Henry Hatsworth so my interest in the 3DS version is considerably higher now!

The art director he had interviewed with checked to see if he had a girlfriend/wife as this apparently is a test often given by the interviewer to make sure he has job candidates who are dedicated to their job only and not some kind of outside spousal force.

I know you trust your friend, but I dunno, that sounds like a lot of conclusions based on speculation. It's not out of the realm of possibility, but maybe the art director was just making small chat?

I know you trust your friend, but I dunno, that sounds like a lot of conclusions based on speculation. It's not out of the realm of possibility, but maybe the art director was just making small chat?

Uh, I'm not positive, but I think asking about that in an interview may actually be illegal, small chat or not.

EDIT: Okay, so I checked this, it's not explicitly illegal, but it does open you up to the potential for a discrimination lawsuit, so it's part of a set of questions referred to by some as "basically" illegal.

It's not out of the realm of possibility, but maybe the art director was just making small chat?

Eh, that doesn't make for good small talk. On the trust note, I don't see any reason for him to make that up, but I guess I'll leave it at "rumor" then since I have no names, recordings, or transcripts.

EDIT: I wrote "art director" in my original post when I should have said it was one of the 10 or so lead artists on the project. My coworker and I looked up pictures of the art director on the project and he said it was not him. I read off the names of all of the other art leads on Mobygames but nothing rang and bell and we could not find photos of everyone.

Edited by syntheticgerbil

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-26-spector-desperate-to-port-epic-mickey-1-to-ps3-360

Spector wants the first one to come to xbox and ps3 also. Wasn't it supposed to come to those originally anyway?

I started thinking more about the 3ds version. Maybe they will make it in beautiful 2d because the team's previous works are all or mostly great looking 2d games.

Oh wow, I would like to see what's going on with the 3DS version. I clicked on everyone's links but I could not seem to find screenshots and animations. Any chance of seeing this stuff at the moment? I bet it looks gorgeous.

There are multiple screenshots lurking in the net. all bad quality scans from the Nintendo Power magazine. It's looking really great based on those pics. I can't give any links now, maybe later.

I don't know anything about this alleged situation at Junction Point, but I've definitely heard of this practice being employed at developers.

I don't know anything about this alleged situation at Junction Point, but I've definitely heard of this practice being employed at developers.

Hm, doesn't surprise me, but always figured it would happen at the less than reputable places.

Epic Mickey was a game that was riddled with problems (sometimes lifeless environments in a Mickey game, janky platforming/level design), but I think it had a lot of potential to be something great. Hopefully JP took the first game's criticisms to heart and make a better game.

Hm, doesn't surprise me, but always figured it would happen at the less than reputable places.

I get the feeling that it's often thought of by those that are used to crunching when interviewing for new employees, but not communicated outright like that.

Sorry guys, you've already probably seen the gorgeous pics etc elsewhere on your own, but here's some fresh details!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-04-04-epic-mickey-power-of-illusion-details-revealed

Lots of screenshots:

http://www.nintendolife.com/games/3ds/disney_epic_mickey_power_of_illusion

Here are some 3DS details that were in the Nintendo Power article:

http://ds.about.com/b/2012/03/26/epic-mickey-power-of-illusion-preview-courtesy-of-nintendo-power.htm

• The witch from Snow white is the main villain again
  • There will be worlds from all eras of Disney, From Peter Pan to Tangled
  • Scrooge Mcduck is in the game
  • Characters you 'save' will appear in a fort of sort that acts as a HUB when you progress on, like Scrooge McDuck or Peter Pan will be in it and decorate the fort.
  • Oswald will be in it along with Minnie

Disney Epic Mickey Paints Its Way to the Nintendo 3DS System with “Disney Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion”

Reality is What You Paint of It as Player Illustrations Come to Life in 3D

BURBANK, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Disney Interactive Media Group today announced the development of “Disney Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion,” the first Nintendo 3DS™ title in the “Disney Epic Mickey” franchise. The title features an interactive combination of painting, dual screen integration and 3D transformation capabilities designed to give players the unique ability to create objects and even characters they can place in the world of Wasteland.

“We’re honored to be able to pay tribute to this classic video game by creating a title that truly takes advantage of the unique capabilities of the Nintendo 3DS, putting the magic of Disney and the historic Castle of Illusion in the palm of your hands.”

In “Disney Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion,” Reality is What You Paint of It. The game offers a special drawing and painting function that allows players to create rough versions of objects that magically transform into classic Disney-style 2D illustrations. Utilizing the game’s unparalleled dual screen integration, players then move their creations to the top screen where they are further transformed into full-color, fully-rendered 3D visuals.

Paying tribute to the classic Sega Genesis title “Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse,” “Disney Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion” focuses on the fabled Castle of Illusion, which has fallen into Wasteland, an alternate world filled with 80 years of forgotten Disney characters and theme park attractions – and now forgotten video games. The evil witch Mizrabel, villainess from the classic “Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse,” finds herself an unwilling inhabitant of Wasteland, and unleashes a plot to escape using the Castle of Illusion to imprison and drain the cartoon essence from currently famous Toons. Players will take on the role of Mickey Mouse as he utilizes his magical brush to wield paint and thinner to confront Mizrabel and save the Toons.

“The original ‘Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse’ changed the face of video gaming by allowing players to play as Mickey Mouse in a side-scrolling adventure full of dynamic environments,” said Warren Spector, vice president and creative director, Junction Point. “We’re honored to be able to pay tribute to this classic video game by creating a title that truly takes advantage of the unique capabilities of the Nintendo 3DS, putting the magic of Disney and the historic Castle of Illusion in the palm of your hands.”

“Disney Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion” is being created by critically acclaimed DS developer DreamRift, in collaboration with Disney Interactive’s Junction Point. The game is slated for a fall 2012 release on the Nintendo 3DS. For more information, go to www.disney.com/disneyepicmickey, or check out this month’s issue of “Nintendo Power” magazine which features an exclusive cover story on the upcoming game.

Also Spector has been talking a lot recently about the main console game, I get the feeling of over hyped again just like with the first one. He has been talking especially a lot of defending the musical aspect of the game. There's no need to defend, I'm sure it will be fine unless they make the game full of cutscenes every five minutes.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-04-04-epic-mickey-2-spector-explains-why-wii-is-lead-platform

Edited by Kolzig

Well, with a little luck the 3DS Mickey game will deserve the "Epic" title.

Come to think of it, it's kinda more appropriate for a retro looking game, everything was "epic" or "radical" back then! Sometimes they were even "tubular"!