Sign in to follow this  
toblix

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light

If only it had online co-op... oh yeah, that's right, it will have it when it's launched in the PS3!

Microsoft really got the short end of the stick there.

X360 doesn't have online multiplayer? I was under the impression that they were holding off on the Xbox LIVE enabled MP until the game was released on PS3 and PC?

That is disappointing, as well as odd, if they have removed it from the X360. I cannot imagine Microsoft agreeing to put it on the Summer arcade list when it has less features than other platforms.

I suppose it would technically make it unique.

So I finally got the chance to play this today; local co-op on the Xbox 360 with my sister. What a great game! We did the first level, and all the various co-op stuff was nicely paced and well thought out. We had to try the final sequence where you're climbing the moving stairs a bunch of times, but it never got frustrating – I guess co-op turns frustration into fun or something... Anyway, I took a gander at the leaderboards, and it was funny; the board for the first level had three people on it, the second level had two, and apparently JamesM had the skillz to complete the third level before giving up completely. What's up? Is the game too hard or does it get terrible quickly?

So I finally got the chance to play this today; local co-op on the Xbox 360 with my sister. What a great game! We did the first level, and all the various co-op stuff was nicely paced and well thought out. We had to try the final sequence where you're climbing the moving stairs a bunch of times, but it never got frustrating – I guess co-op turns frustration into fun or something... Anyway, I took a gander at the leaderboards, and it was funny; the board for the first level had three people on it, the second level had two, and apparently JamesM had the skillz to complete the third level before giving up completely. What's up? Is the game too hard or does it get terrible quickly?

It's a great game, and not very hard. No idea why that is - maybe they only played the demo? If you want to see another name on the leaderboard, add me - SpeedyDesiato. :)

Really? Honestly? I tried to keep an eye for news of this. Just to be absolutely clear, I could purchase on 360, and play co-op with my friend in a diff. city?

Really? Honestly? I tried to keep an eye for news of this. Just to be absolutely clear, I could purchase on 360, and play co-op with my friend in a diff. city?

No. I mean yes.

Yes. 360 multi was patched in when the PSN/Steam versions were released.

Since I'm disasterously behind the curve, I've picked this up and i'm loving it! Anyone interested in some multiplayer on the PC?

I'd be down sometime. I picked this up during a Steam sale but have yet to play it.

Cool, i'll add you too then miffy. I'm on GMT, but if i'm online give me a poke.

If anyone is interested, the game is 4 euro on steam today! The DLC packs are 75 cent each too:)

Well worth the money. I've played through the single player campaign now and it was delicious fun.

Yeah, it's quite ok. The SP campaign that is. I didn't really like the challenges, which is mostly what the DLC is about.

I feel like I owe this game a short, glowing review, especially since I think it's clear it wasn't successful enough to get any similar sequels. If you're after simple two-player coop fun, this is a real gem. It's reasonably complex (upgrades, different power-ups and weapons,) and has a pretty good mix of shooting a bunch of enemies and solving contrived mechanical puzzles. The mechanics are such that you get lots of interesting interplay, like the bombs you can place that are effective against enemies but also hurt your friend. They have a pretty good physics engine that they flat out use as-is for a lot of puzzles, which is nice, and allows you to accelerate/halt a lot of the puzzle-solving using bombs. Traversal requires sometimes complex cooperation which often involves holding your partner's life in your hands. Going for the optional challenges (some based on collection, some on timing and some on trying a bunch of times to cross a river without getting your feet wet) amplifies all of these mechanics. And it's pretty long. The story is dumb.

Agh. I never played it multi. So good a game.

Yes! I remember it fondly.  It's a shame this isn't the direction they decided to go in for the Tomb Raider series.