toblix

BioShock Infinite

Going back to them marketing it as a shooter, I think the actual game will have quite a bit of horror (not scary just spooky/creepy/spine tingling/goosebump inducing/sweaty palms/dry mouth/toe curling/edge of the seat/elevated heart rate/willy shrinking) with all the ghost enemies and the megaphone head guy. I think there'll be a large portion of the game set at night time of which we've only seen one screenshot. I hope to god they've held back on showing like 80% of the game, that's why you've gotta avoid dem reviews, I'll read the final comment and the score but then I'm out

If Mirrors Edge 2 ever sees the light of day i don't think they'd dare put guns in it, people would be so disappointed. Its the biggest criticism the first game gets, but to be honest i can't even remember firing a gun in it, obviously wasn't impactful enough to stick in my neurons

Deep down inside, you know that isn't how it will go. They'll double down on guns and shooting, they'll promise that they're going to get it "right" this time and that it will be very "visceral" shooting action to compliment the parkour.

They did the guns just right in Mirror's Edge* and anyone who thinks otherwise is OBVIOUSLY a fool and a charlatan!**

*My actual opinion.

**Not my actual opinion.

Oh man, my point was definitely not supposed to be "why aren't indie games better looking", there's a lot more you can do with money than just do better graphics. Anyway, it was just a thought..

This is why I hope one day as much money and effort will be put into a first person game without any shootings in it. Could be fun!

The Witness is a FP game right? It's definitely not big budget but I expect the game will be getting a lot of attention, and not just from the regular indie audience.

Big budgets are cool and everything but they're not what make games great and I doubt a "walk around and look at stuff" game is ever going to sell well enough to merit AAA money just like a more understated movie won't make as much as Transformers. Thirty Flights of Loving, Dear Esther, Gone Home, Myst (which did sell a ton but largely because of its puzzles, not its narrative, I'm guessing) and so on are more than enough to satisfy me though, assuming we get more like them. Who cares if the graphics aren't as nice as Infinite?

Just to answer this directly, you are absolutely right that big budgets don't make games great. Having no budget doesn't make a game great, either. That wasn't my point at all. A big budget does make a different game though, and I'm just interested in what that game is. It'd be interesting to see what a big budget title that does something similar to, or expands on, what something like Gone Home does, plays/looks/feels like.

You're right that a "walk around and look at stuff" cerebral version of this probably wouldn't sell enough to merit the budget (although it's worth noting that no one has ever tried marketing something like that to a broad audience, outside of the typical gaming market). I think once more money is involved it becomes a very different (possibly less interesting) version of that kind of game. More like a roller-coaster ride sprinkled with the more cerebral stuff.  Something like the beginning of Half-Life 2. This is potentially an awful idea.. 

I was just wondering aloud, hoping, that maybe some day there'll be as much build-up, marketing, tv ads, excitement around a new big, release that isn't about shooting/reflex gaming. I know a lot of people who'd love that, that don't play games at all. Those people would probably love something like Dear Esther, Thirty Flight etc. but will never find out they exist. Those are people who also saw the Bioshock ad or now see Bioshock Infinite ads and go "Oh, nice.. that looks fu- hmm.. I'm awful at shooty stuff like that. It stresses me out."

This was just my reaction to people in this thread asking if there was enough of the explore/interact stuff in Infinite.

Disclaimer: I almost only play the occasional indie game anymore and stopped playing Bioshock and haven't finished it because of the shooty stuff..

Yeah, that's probably true - you could probably get way more people to play Gone Home or Dear Esther with a crazy ad campaign than the current number of players. I'm not sure you could sell Bioshock Infinite numbers of $60 games to people who don't self-identify as people who game as a hobby, but at the existing price point, Dear Esther and (eventually) Gone Home could probably doing a thousand times better than they have.

Yeah, I hadn't thought of that. I don't even buy games at $60.. ever, I think. God, Gone Home really is a unique thing. I hope a lot of people will play it.

just had a nose in the gaf thread:

Gamers.at review

Google translate

Quote:
Verdict
"It is complex, not what I expected, not inappropriately, and somehow even logical and correct ... and so just what Bioshock creator Kevin Levine has indicated time and again so mysterious."

That would be so good if the game is completely open to interpretation! I've craved a David Lynch style narrative from a video game for years, never expected to find it here. (of course this isn't confirmed in anyway, didn't actually manage to find the article on the website either)

edit. wait, i've misinterpreted the quote. I'm guessing i'm not getting my balls to the wall narrative here :( oh well, complex and logical is still fun i guess

It's an interesting question, but it's important to remember that Bioshock would probably never have been very popular if they hadn't screamed "WE SWEAR ITS A SHOOTER" during the run up to release about a million times.

And honestly, it still had way too much shooting in it; I bogged down in around the same spot as Thrik, and have yet to return and finish it.

Why so low, IGN?

I haven't been this excited for a game I know nothing about in a while!

p5rqP.gif

- Feels a bit padded in the middle

I guess all you guys who had a problem with all the shooting in the original will have the same problem here (i assume by padding they mean lots of mindlessly shooting people in the face and crotch, but mostly the face)

Reviews should be coming out think and fast

Jim Sterling just posted 10/10 so i'm super happy, i feel i have similar gaming tastes to him

Polygon 10/10 (although i don't really trust their reviews, they mark a lot of games way to high in my opinion)

Eurogamer 10/10

Edge 9/10

And the rest

relieved.jpg

Have to avoid all comment sections of anything to do with this game from now on as apparently there are trolls posting a major plot point every chance they get

Based on some good reviews, I've preordered it so I can preload it. There's mention of a twist in the end – If it turns out Elizabeth was imaginary all along, I'm going to do an angry rant on GDC 2014.

NO, goddammit, now I'm gonna obsess over

what the twist

is! What have you done!?

I was going to grab this tomorrow morning regardless but these reviews are just making it sweeter. Not that I actually read them, I just look at the score.

After all that moaning earlier on, it looks like the woman in Infinite is more modestly dressed in most of the release screenshots I'm seeing?

Son of a bitch is that ever some hyperbolic praise. I think i'll be avoiding any other hype until i get my hands on the game, lest my hopes be inflated too much. People are saying ridiculous things about Infinite.