toblix

BioShock Infinite

via argobot's twitter a week ago:

http://www.rockpaper...ation-part-one/

I'm still reeling from this interview. This is one of the most fascinating gaming articles I've read in a long time. I keep going back to look for the part 2 update. I am enthralled!

I know! I really wish more people would deconstruct their interviews like that.

Man, looking at those required specs, it's a real bummer that they're not making a Mac version (at least, for launch anyways). I assumed it wouldn't run on my Air, but it would run just fine. :[

Man, looking at those required specs, it's a real bummer that they're not making a Mac version (at least, for launch anyways). I assumed it wouldn't run on my Air, but it would run just fine. :[

Bootcamp?

Cool!

It'd be interesting to know what rig you need to play the game in, say 1920x1080, with everything maxed out.

skyfall2.jpg

I hope the PC version is better this time around. Coming from a previously PC-centric developer, I was surprised at how bad the original BioShock port was. Although performance was just about acceptable (on a machine that could handle Crysis on high settings), the issues with mouse acceleration were unforgivable and made it borderline unplayable at times.

I hope the PC version is better this time around. Coming from a previously PC-centric developer, I was surprised at how bad the original BioShock port was. Although performance was just about acceptable (on a machine that could handle Crysis on high settings), the issues with mouse acceleration were unforgivable and made it borderline unplayable at times.

Weird. I thought they developed it natively inhouse, I didn't think it was a port. And my old PC couldn't handle Crysis at all -- but it handled BioShock at max settings, with anti-aliasing and v-sync, and ran perfectly smoothly. I remember hearing complaints about judderyness on the 360 version...? Very weird.

Maybe it got improved but when I got it at launch performance was horrible, and I recall it was one of the first games to use a console FOV and provide no way of changing it. On top of that, high-DPI mice had all sorts of weird acceleration and sensitivity issues that made aiming feel weird at best, and 2D sections (menus, hacking) almost impossible.

Maybe it got improved but when I got it at launch performance was horrible, and I recall it was one of the first games to use a console FOV and provide no way of changing it. On top of that, high-DPI mice had all sorts of weird acceleration and sensitivity issues that made aiming feel weird at best, and 2D sections (menus, hacking) almost impossible.

I was a first day player. *shrugs*

What do you mean about FOV, btw? There was some nonsense nerd rage regarding widescreen losing the tops and bottoms of the screen compared to 4:3, but that was intentional: they designed the game for widescreen, and just added extra to 4:3 screens. (It was sad when they patched that -- people believed that widescreen ALWAYS means more to the sides, which of course, it doesn't.)

Same. It's a well-known cause of motion sickess, not that many people know it's the cause though — which is why developers should be vigilant about it and provide options at least. So no, it wasn't sad when they fixed that (although by that point I'd stopped anyway).

I have got it on the 360 now though, so I'll at least get to experience it before Infinite. :tup:

I was a first day player. *shrugs*

What do you mean about FOV, btw? There was some nonsense nerd rage regarding widescreen losing the tops and bottoms of the screen compared to 4:3, but that was intentional: they designed the game for widescreen, and just added extra to 4:3 screens. (It was sad when they patched that -- people believed that widescreen ALWAYS means more to the sides, which of course, it doesn't.)

Not to mention that narrow field of view just feels straight up claustrophobic.

It's also generally more pleasant to play an FPS on a PC with a wider-than-usual FOV. This is to account for the fact that your eyeballs are only a foot away from the screen on a PC while they're more like 8-10 feet away from a TV set. So it helps enhance spatial immersion and fights claustrophobia.

"But when do I get to shoot stuff in the face?"---College frat bros, probably.

Seriously though, that looks awesome. Secession is super popular right now.

I seem to remember the «poor VHS transfer» effect popping up a lot of places around the same time. Is it a readily available After Effects filter at this point?

There was a very strong trend a few years back. You can tell it's past its peak judging from the emergence of out-of-the-can "crappy 80s transfer" plugins like http://www.crumplepop.com/carousel/ or even more egregiously:

https://vimeo.com/11156474

This is still a great tack for Irrational to take. Sure does blow the rest of this years trailers out of the water so far, but the competition right now is exceptionally weak. Like, have you guys seen the horrible new Dead Space trailer? What were they even going for?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6GEzN9GjMH8

Haha, that is fantastic. Man. Good job to whomever at IG, or some agency, put that together.