toblix

BioShock Infinite

wow... still looks really awesome

I wonder how much freedom you get

What, how is this gameplay? It's clearly a pre-rendered movie made by Blur or some such studio, like that BG&E2 thing with the running around.

You think? I mean I don't believe it's actual gameplay, but I can totally believe it's in-engine scripted.

People use 'scripted' weirdly. All games are scripted all the time, otherwise nothing would happen or interact at all.

It's almost certainly the case that, this early in development, a bunch of stuff that happens isn't as dynamic as it would be in the finished game. But apart from set-piece things, like the bell falling, there is no way to actually tell that for sure from watching a video.

People use 'scripted' weirdly. All games are scripted all the time, otherwise nothing would happen or interact at all.

"Scripted" only has about a million different meanings and connotations. People don't consider dynamic things scripted, for obvious reasons, even IF in the actual code it is scripted.

Man, I couldn't be more thrilled about the setting of this game. Way more than I was for the original. Rad. Please more mechanical floating cities. Please more giant bells almost smashing me. Agh.. Awesome.. I wonder though, with the second character, is there going to be a Far Cry 2-esque buddy system or is it just a plot point?

So I had sort of a guilt-inducing thought when I watched that demo. Elizabeth seems like a good character, and the player's interaction with her is interesting, even as short as the video is. After you use the debris ball she creates and she's kneeling in pain, Booker says, "You don't look so good," and my immediate thought was "She looks great from here!" because you're getting a nice view straight down her cleavage.

Also, download and watch the version that's on XBL. Unless my ears deceived me, it has a 5.1 audio mix that sounds awesome.

Here's the long full video:

I believe this is the video that was showcased to selected people earlier "behind closed doors" or so?

Several things;

- I am so insanely happy for a talking 'me' in an RPG. You have no idea.

- Companion characters/not everyone wants to immediately kill you? Please.

- More involved telekinesis. Hell yes.

- I have achieved my own CtT. I will not be able to run this game on my current hardware.

I have to wonder what was going through Chris' head when Levine was talking about "more visceral gameplay".

Then I have to wonder if he is immune to his own memes.

So I had sort of a guilt-inducing thought when I watched that demo. Elizabeth seems like a good character, and the player's interaction with her is interesting, even as short as the video is. After you use the debris ball she creates and she's kneeling in pain, Booker says, "You don't look so good," and my immediate thought was "She looks great from here!" because you're getting a nice view straight down her cleavage.

Also, download and watch the version that's on XBL. Unless my ears deceived me, it has a 5.1 audio mix that sounds awesome.

She has a childlike face though and it is kind of jarring with that cleavage. U:

So, I finally watched the video earlier, despite saying I probably wouldn't (2012) and FUCK. TWENTY-TWELVE. RAAAAAGE.

Several things;

- Companion characters/not everyone wants to immediately kill you? Please.

What worried me about the video was that everybody except for your companion still wanted to kill you eventually and doing so turned somewhat non-human. I wonder whether you can ever walk into the bar or to the town square and interact with people normally or whether that is completely impossible because you are a Mexican or whatever.

You think?
Actually, I'm not sure anymore. I was totally convinced that you couldn't make a game that looked and played that nice in real-time on today's hardware, and there were so much of the little details that you always see in cut-scenes, but never in actual games. Also, the player movement felt animated. However, from what I read around the web, and the interview with Levine (and agent Remo) they're talking about it as though it was actually played while people were watching. If this is actual, real-time in-game stuff, color me extremely impressed.

My first thoughts were pre-rendered too, then it got into what looked like actual gameplay and, wow*, it looked pretty amazing, even if the combat still doesn't do anything for me.

I've not been following it closely, but what's with all the digital effects on stuff like flags and characters? Is it supposed to be related to their powers or something?

*...that cleavage.

She has a childlike face though and it is kind of jarring with that cleavage. U:

So, I finally watched the video earlier, despite saying I probably wouldn't (2012) and FUCK. TWENTY-TWELVE. RAAAAAGE.

Just think of her as being a cute twenty-something. Cuteness makes the face look younger.

I'm actually very excited for this game; I don't have much of an affiliation with the Bioshock series - I'm not someone who typically enjoys /anything/ set in a darker world - but the bright colour palette and enthusiasm with which Ken talks about the game leaves me feeling excited.

What worried me about the video was that everybody except for your companion still wanted to kill you eventually and doing so turned somewhat non-human. I wonder whether you can ever walk into the bar or to the town square and interact with people normally or whether that is completely impossible because you are a Mexican or whatever.

Considering,

- The crazy racist fellow giving out guns situation

and

- The bar eventually turning against you

That does now worry me, since you've brought it up. They touted it several times since the trailer, so I imagine there is a point somewhere in the game where it occurs but. . .

Damnit Nappi, Infinite has just gone down an Awesome Level for me. Hrm. Things to ponder.

Have you guys noticed that these days only Chris Remo posts stuff in Irrational's webpages?

I had no idea even that he had posted a 11 part (10 actual parts and a recap) of Ten Things You Should Know About BioShock Infinite.

I'm beginning to feel Remo is Irrational Games now. :tup:

I have to check that Giantbomb video when I get back home.

This game is slowly creeping up to haunt me more and more, I just hate the name. I can't get over it.

Somewhere I read that it might not be exactly two years away, more like one year and a few months unless there will be delays. Saying it comes out in 2012 is kind of wide angle, it can even come out 1st January 2012 which would not be that far away.

I really like the blood spatter effect when someone shoots or hits Booker. One thing that would be cool if the guy doesn't heal automatically and super fast, I just wish that red spatter would stay in the view until the character heals himself, it just goes away now way too quickly. Like if you get hit a lot, then the whole bottom half of the screen would be red.

Rah, I love the way they’re reinterpreting the strong concepts of the Bioshock I & II universe and spinning them in new directions. Maybe those are obvious, but they kept hints of the original Big Daddy and Little Sisters - sometimes it's subtle (e.g. Elizabeth’s blue Victorian dress and her physical vulnerability) and when needed, not so much (the iconic Big Daddy Helmet) - and it seems they left the balance of power intact so that the dynamic remains obvious... but even there, they injected new ideas (e.g. the destruction of the Big Daddy bring it’s human face out just as you need to finish him off) to provide a new emotional impact for those. IMO, so far, it looks like the best results for a remake /spin-off I’ve seen in years.

Also is it me or the crowd noise native is American attack ‘ululation’ or maybe zaghareet?

On the gameplay front, I really hope they revisit thoroughly Bioshock's recipe because it was torn between opposing genre and failed. On one hand, it offered very compelling hunting tools (the traps, the camera, the chain reaction prone environment, the wandering boss ...) but on the other, the game was a linear survival constantly pushing you forward and within which I was never really enticed to plan, and wait and prey. Because of that, all those nice gameplay elements lost their interest. Hopefully, 2 years, they've got time to do find solutions to that.

Edited by vimes

What worried me about the video was that everybody except for your companion still wanted to kill you eventually and doing so turned somewhat non-human.

Absolutely. Nothing made me despair more than seeing the enraged bar patrons run at you in a straight line as you lazily slaughter them with your shotgun. Incidentally, these men have no firearms; why they don't run away after you start murdering them I have no idea. If we're supposed to treat the game's characters like something human, they should act like it.

I'm going to be rash and give this the ol' FUCK THIS GAME. Like the original Bioshock, this shows off a high concept and painfully dumb gameplay. Reskinning a copy of Serious Sam would give you a deeper, more nuanced game than Bioshock Infinite.

True, she made me immediately uncomfortable. It's not like i'm averse to female video game characters (Half Life 2, Final Fantasies, Personas...) but Elizabeth creeps me out for reasons unknown, perhaps it is what you described or maybe it's because she is way overacted. (That point and gasp bit was stupid)

True, she made me immediately uncomfortable. It's not like i'm averse to female video game characters (Half Life 2, Final Fantasies, Personas...) but Elizabeth creeps me out for reasons unknown, perhaps it is what you described or maybe it's because she is way overacted. (That point and gasp bit was stupid)

I'm going to, as those before me, go with it being her face. It somehow. . .lacks definition, giving it a very innocent/childish look which does not go with the, er. . .

t9K9wiH2Lko

Oh, and on the "Izzit rendered?" front, the gameplay footage and the trailer have distinct visual differences. Mind you, ones I can't use words for, but they look distinct to me. It is entirely possible that the engine is just that awesome, however, I think not.

The ten minute bit is clearly a case of developer preview syndrome. They want you to see the right parts of their game for you to become interested. They want to play it so that it draws you perfectly in. Thus, it feels like utter tripe to anyone who actually plays video games.

The ten minute bit is clearly a case of developer preview syndrome. They want you to see the right parts of their game for you to become interested.

Right. Everything is presented as its own "encounter", which is fine. And if that's how they want to make their game, go for it; that's what Half-Life does. But I wonder how well this will play if I don't play it exactly like they do.

VALVE DEVELOPERS: "We want you to use the gravity gun to throw an explosive barrel at that zombie."

ME: "Oh no, a zombie! I should throw a barrel at it! Oops, I grabbed a paint can; maybe that'll slow him down. I missed the barrel again and grabbed a plank of wood! Eh, I'll just use my handgun and run back and forth forever until he dies."

And that can still lead to a tense, fun situation.

When you are surrounded by that mob of drunks and Elizabeth tells you to use one of your powers so she can electrocute them, what if you ignore her? What if you go up to all of them and shotgun them one by one? What if you run away?

These might be dumb ways to play the game, but are they possible? Are they fun?

Did anyone else notice this?

bioshockanachronism.png

I hope the game does a good job of not encouraging violence to allow for moments like this, because I feel like I would just shoot this guy in the face as soon as he starts wigging out.

I'm sure you noticed the liquid picture changing:

bioshockpainting.gif

Speaking of liquid it seems like when the phonograph is shot the horn might liquefy. It's hard to tell if it's the booze or the horn itself.

There's obviously a bit of a guided tour mentality to the demo. Things like ramming the guy of the ledge could work in multiple ways. Shooting him could cause him to fall of the ledge onto the car as well. I hope that they follow the Thumbs philosophy of not taking control away from your character unless he is out of control. I want to be crushed by that bell if I get too close. I want to get shot by that artillery if I'm not paying attention (although that seems like a tool that will be used by enemies throughout the game).

Edited by CaptainFish

Someone needs to make a new Remo spotting thread :yep:

remospotting1.png

Interesting. I entered that in google's new image search and I found these:

post-814-13375603249462_thumb.jpg

post-814-13375603248932_thumb.jpg

post-814-13375603249348_thumb.jpg

Did anyone else notice this?

bioshockanachronism.png

That's what I meant by digital effects, you can see it in the beginning with the flag strewn on the ground, but what is it?

On the topic of Remo spotting, GiantBomb again shows Chris. He appears on the Steam toaster at 17:30 in their Civ. 5 Quick Look.

I think.