toblix

BioShock Infinite

At the end of Bioshock: Infinite, the balloons pop and the entire city slowly descends into the sea, becoming the early Rapture. After that, Irrational Games starts working on Bioshock 1 again, then comes Bioshock 2 and then comes Bioshock: Infinite. In Infinite, the balloons pop and the entire city slowly descends into the sea, becoming the early Rapture. After that, Irrational Games starts working on Bioshock 1 again, then comes Bioshock 2 and then comes Bioshock: Infinite. In Infinite, the balloons pop and the entire city slowly descends into the sea, becoming the early Rapture. After that, Irrational Games starts working on Bioshock 1 again, then comes Bioshock 2 and then comes Bioshock: Infinite. In Infinite, the balloons pop and the entire city slowly descends into the sea, becoming the early Rapture. After that, Irrational Games starts working on Bioshock 1 again, then comes Bioshock 2 and then comes Bioshock: Infinite. In Infinite, the balloons pop and the entire city slowly descends into the sea, becoming the early Rapture. After that, Irrational Games starts working on Bioshock 1 again, then comes Bioshock 2 and then comes Bioshock: Infinite. In Infinite, the balloons pop and the entire city slowly descends into the sea, becoming the early Rapture. After that, Irrational Games starts working on Bioshock 1 again, then comes Bioshock 2 and then comes Bioshock: Infinite. In Infinite, the balloons pop and the entire city slowly descends into the sea, becoming the early Rapture. After that, Irrational Games starts working on Bioshock 1 again, then comes Bioshock 2 and then comes Bioshock: Infinite. In Infinite, the balloons pop and the entire city slowly descends into the sea, becoming the early Rapture. After that, Irrational Games starts working on Bioshock 1 again, then comes Bioshock 2 and then comes Bioshock: Infinite.

I read the RPS article, but my feelings are still the same as before... ;(

The Big Daddy looking enemy that throws the main character out of the window reminds me of Krang.

I like that it has a Steampunk-esque biomechanical heart. Also, after hearing what Ken Levine had to say about Infinite, I am infinitely psyched. The fast-paced zip line gameplay sounds totally rad.

How come there's a Rapture in an aquarium when this is 50 years before Rapture?

The city in the aquarium wasn't Rapture. It was Chicago in 1893 during the World's Fair. The "Big Daddy" is just a model of a dude in a bathysphere suit. I think the fact that he has a drill-arm thing is a reference to BioShock, which did nothing more than serve the purpose of fooling the audience into thinking Infinite would again take place in the city of Rapture. I could be way off, but that's what I gathered from it.

Back into Samuel L. Jackson's drill-arm thing.

Chicago.png

Edited by GameDreamer

*Ring ring*

"Chris Remo speaking."

"Hey Chris, it's Ken."

"Heyheyhey!"

"Uh yeah. Hey. Just wondering, we're working on a new Bioshock, and I was wondering if you wanted to join Irrational."

"Sweet! Is it in space?"

"Uh kinda. It's in the air, but not really space."

"Oh..."

"But I guess you could say it's closer to the moon than it is the Earth..."

"Sold. See ya Ken."

On a more serious note: I actually read through an interview of Levine by Remo on Gamasutra last night, where they discussed Bioshock in full, spoiler glory. Fantastic interview - unlike any I've ever read, I think. Instead of 'Uh, your game is so awesome, how awesome is your game?' it sounded like two seriously clever guys discussing video games. Just great stuff.

On a more serious note: I actually read through an interview of Levine by Remo on Gamasutra last night, where they discussed Bioshock in full, spoiler glory. Fantastic interview - unlike any I've ever read, I think. Instead of 'Uh, your game is so awesome, how awesome is your game?' it sounded like two seriously clever guys discussing video games. Just great stuff.

Just browsed the Gamasutra newsletter and didn't see it. Can you post up a link? (Hilarious phone interview scenario, by the way.) :tup:

I just read the Eurogamer interview and it, too, has made me a little apprehensive. It really does sound like they're aiming for another shooter-in-a-pretty-place. It'll probably have wild and awesome mechanics, but no Deus Ex or Oblivion set in Columbia, then.

It's funny because Levine mentions in the interview that one of the problems in Bioshock was that all the player had was a hammer, so that everything looked like a nail. He then continues to explain how Infinite will have much more hammers to pound nails with :(

Awesome! Thanks dude. :grin:

Wow, just read the first page and I'm already totally enthralled. Good stuff.

:tup:

So, seeingg as it has NOTHING to do with Bioshock (I mean it couldn't, right? Unless it had the universes biggest contrivance), why is it called Bioshock? Is it name/brand recognition by now, and this "Style" of game is Bioshock (In the similar vein to Sid Meiers Civilization etc), or am I an idiot who didn't realise you play as Atlas or something.

So, seeingg as it has NOTHING to do with Bioshock (I mean it couldn't, right? Unless it had the universes biggest contrivance), why is it called Bioshock? Is it name/brand recognition by now, and this "Style" of game is Bioshock (In the similar vein to Sid Meiers Civilization etc), or am I an idiot who didn't realise you play as Atlas or something.

This video is full of speculation.

http://www.giantbomb.com/talkin-bout-bioshock-infinite/17-3050/

I heard Ken Levine say the words Final Fantasy, I just can't remember if it was in the Joystiq interview, or the GWJ interview.

I guess they're going for a similar thematic feel or general aesthetic, and that makes it a "Bioshock" game.

The way 1up reported Levine's comments, it seems like he's big into reflecting historical periods. I get that he's stylizing quite heavily, but it's really quite misleading to say the US "killed" 1 million people in the Philippines. It's not that simple, and worryingly, I think he got this figure from wikipedia.

My background by the way: full time historian, not an American.

That's just a nerdy point though, I am excited by the game, or at least the possibility of it. Bioshock 2 never got me this interested.

Yeah, I'm coming to assume that "Bioshock" as a brand refers to that kind of old timey steampunky aesthetic that the games thus far have demonstrated. Naturally, in this train of thought, I'm aware that i've become "that guy" who's going crazy over what it means less than 24 hours after it's come out, I'm aware of the irony, THANKS. But it seems that it's less of a Bioshock in the sense of creating an alltogether immersive, underwater experience, and more of a "Check it out, we're doing this crazy futuristic but not take on an alternate history, in the sky!"

That said, it looks pretty cool. I hope there's bi-planes and/or suspenders

That said, it looks pretty cool. I hope there's bi-planes and/or suspenders

I must say, all those hot air balloons got me excited. I love that aspect to some steampunk worlds: the use of hot air balloons to such an extent seems utterly absurd, but then we had the Wright brothers, and they did not.

Wait a minute, will this mean no biplanes? I'm with you on the biplanes.

I guess they're going for a similar thematic feel or general aesthetic, and that makes it a "Bioshock" game.

The way 1up reported Levine's comments, it seems like he's big into reflecting historical periods. I get that he's stylizing quite heavily, but it's really quite misleading to say the US "killed" 1 million people in the Philippines. It's not that simple, and worryingly, I think he got this figure from wikipedia.

My background by the way: full time historian, not an American.

That's just a nerdy point though, I am excited by the game, or at least the possibility of it. Bioshock 2 never got me this interested.

Although someone overestimating the amount of people killed by Americans is a lot rarer and generally leads to better things than the extremely common opposite.

Although someone overestimating the amount of people killed by Americans is a lot rarer and generally leads to better things than the extremely common opposite.

Very fair point, and I completely agree.

The trailer is very good at evoking some of that original Bioshock excitement, at least for me. It will be very interesting to see a really well told story that is looking at a negative aspect of American history.

I think I am mostly just perturbed by the way Levine threw around a number without context. People talk about American imperialism in the Philippines a fair bit, and overlook the fact that America was terrible at it. After an extremely uncool step in invading the country in the first place, America spent the best part of fifty years trying to be some kind of enlightened colonizer. Some of the more conservative Japanese colonizers looked at American activity in the Philippines as an example of what not to do when they were forming policy in Taiwan and Korea. But yes, that doesn't excuse America by any measure.

Anyway, sorry to nerd out again. I should point out that I am no Philippine history expert, just generally interested.

My take on the whole "Bioshock" in the title issue is that this game was going to be compared to Bioshock when it comes out because video game reviewers are retarded, also I have a feeling this game going to play very similar to Bioshock 1+2, in the way the weapons feel.

However, I don't think Infinite is going to be as atmospheric as Bioshock 1. Being in a dark, wet, underwater city that is falling apart is by far my favorite video game environment ever, you have an immense feeling of isolation at all times. Being in the sky just seems like it can't have this same feeling of isolation, it was cool in the trailer, until I saw the ground. And even though its impossible to survive a fall like that it still seemed not as scary as being underwater. Although I am sure Infinite will have a night time level that will be pretty creepy. Oh, look at me comparing the two games.

And this is Irrational so I am excited.

Bioshock has enough unique mechanics for those mechanics to define what it means to be a Bioshock game. It could be very possible that Irrational only wanted to make games with a similar mechanic set in lots of fantastic places. They didn't make the return to rapture, so it's not their fault that people instantly think a Bioshock game has to be underwater.

It's a lot like Assassin's Creed, or at least how I thought Assassin's Creed would be, until the anouncement of Brotherhood. No one's going to bat an eye if the next AC takes place outside of the 3rd Crusade or Renaissance Italy.

Edited by CaptainFish

However, I don't think Infinite is going to be as atmospheric as Bioshock 1. Being in a dark, wet, underwater city that is falling apart is by far my favorite video game environment ever, you have an immense feeling of isolation at all times. Being in the sky just seems like it can't have this same feeling of isolation, it was cool in the trailer, until I saw the ground. And even though its impossible to survive a fall like that it still seemed not as scary as being underwater. Although I am sure Infinite will have a night time level that will be pretty creepy. Oh, look at me comparing the two games.

I completely disagree with the implication that games have to invoke a feeling of isolation in order to be "atmospheric."

Yeah it feels like, from the trailer at least, Irrational is deliberately trying to do a game with *shock-inspired mechanics in more vertical and wide open spaces. No idea what the actual game is, but that's the vibe they've been sending so far.

Also, as far as isolation goes, I think that being alone in empty space -- where seemingly no matter how far/fast you move, the things you can see around you aren't moving because they're so far away -- can be as isolating as being in a confined/constraining space.

Also, as far as isolation goes, I think that being alone in empty space -- where seemingly no matter how far/fast you move, the things you can see around you aren't moving because they're so far away -- can be as isolating as being in a confined/constraining space.

One of my biggest fears when I was a kid was of eventually becoming an astronaut (never happened, obviously ;_;) and getting stuck floating in the middle of space without anyone around. I'm pretty sure I had recurring nightmares about this (and also getting lost out on the ocean, again by myself).

So, I agree.

But this game, from the trailer and the interviews/demo-writeups, doesn't look/sound like it will be as much about isolation. Which is perfectly fine for me.

Also: RPS interview up: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/08/13/the-bioshock-infinite-ken-levine-interview/

Definitely sounds like it is indeed a game with Bioshock mechanics in a fantastical, but different world. It also sounds like there will be SOME sort of connection, but who knows what at this point.

I actually wish this game was, in part, about social isolation (or whatever). I think realizing that all the people around you are either brainwashed or live in utopia (...or in cloud city) and that you are the only one that's sane would make you feel more alone than if you actually were alone. This is why I really liked the man waving his arms to the music in the trailer. He seemed so far out.

Incidentally there was an awesomely unsuccessful attempt at something like this in the original Mass Effect. At Zhu's Hope

after talking to the colonists you can ask their leader why they all act so strange. Later it turns out that they had been a part of a mind-control experiment. This would all have been good if I had actually noticed the colonist were acting strange but I did not. The conversation was as awkward as always and I even attributed the fact that all of them advised me to talk to their leader whenever I wanted to know more about the situation at their colony to some technical thing (such as limiting the amount of voice acting). If I had been able to spot their strange behavior on my own, however, I would probably have been very pleased.

I completely disagree with the implication that games have to invoke a feeling of isolation in order to be "atmospheric."

Hmmm, let me rephrase my comment. I don't believe that isolation is the only thing that goes into making an atmospheric game, in a game like ArmA 2 (a war simulator) once you get into a big or even small battle/conflict you will get a sense of excitement and the adrenaline might start pumping because of the grandness of it all and the way the game operates, the environment is always changing with each battle but it doesn't play a huge roll.

In Infinite, at least to me, the environment could be swapped out with any other environment, maybe its because my brain rejects the idea of a giant floating city vanishing and no one being able to find it in the late 1800's to early 1900's. Bioshock for some reason seemed in the smallest way, possible, it was something I wanted to believe in happening even though I knew it didn't. If Columbia floats over a body of water with no land in sight then I would feel isolated (maybe I am just afraid of the sea) but being over what looks like a bunch of farms on a not very cloudy day and being considered missing seems far to odd for my tastes. And for me, that ruins the atmosphere a bit.

Either way I will most likely be picking it up day 1 because its by Irrational, and the story sound fairly interesting.

Lastly the universe will be connected because Infinite will have "The Circus of Values" store/dispenser in it.

Anyone seen the original Sky Captain and the World of tomorrow? This trailer kinda reminds me of the

flying airfortress

sceen.