toblix

BioShock Infinite

The link to Bioshock is that the whole city actually belongs to a miniature race of people and the city floats in the ear canal of Andrew Ryan.

How come there's a Rapture in an aquarium when this is 50 years before Rapture?

Does this even take place in the same universe? This is all very confusing.

It's probably just there for the imagery of it. You start the trailer, think "oh okay, another underwater bioshock" and then then a big roboty dude pulls the rug out from under you and throws you out into the sky. I doubt there will be any actual big guys in diving suits in the game.

The fact that this is still a Bioshock game puts a damper on the "omg new setting!" feeling they're going for, but it still works.

How come there's a Rapture in an aquarium when this is 50 years before Rapture?

The real question is obviously, why is there a Rapture in an aquarium in a miniature city located inside Andrew Ryan's ear canal?

My guess at the hidden word is "REMO", complete with quotation marks.

Bioshock: Infinite "REMO"

The setting and implied philosophy of the trailer suggests things that stir me deeply. I can't wait for the gameplay to be shown, hopefully at PAX.

In addition, the drowning scene at the beginning amazed me. I felt and still feel short of breath after being shown how deep the tank he was submerged in is.

So jakes projections imply that as the series goes on, it gains in altitude exponentially. However, it is also going backwards in time and forward in technology. So when we do get to Bioshock: Moon Rising in 2015, I believe we know where we'll be:

60BjkUtqxPE

It just hit me: Bioshock: Infinite Shock. Think of the ramifications!

Seriously though, I don't give much custard to the hidden word theory. I assume they chose the name because they had to have Bioshock in there, and so they chose a subtitle or subname or whatever that really sets it apart. I think it's cool in a Japanese way. It really reads like a SNES fighting game sequel.

Getting a Ico/Last Guardian vibe from this Elizabeth character

I'm getting more of a Prince of Persia vibe myself.

(COMPLETING MY THOUGHT) It won't be though. Everyone went kind of Bioshock crazy when it came out, but it always seemed to me that it was a pretty average game that did a couple of things (twist and atmosphere) very well. ... I'll still play this, and I'll still like it, but count me among the disappointed. Looks like Ken Levine was "freed from having to work on another Bioshock" so that he could work on another Bioshock...

This. I have nothing against the Shocks, but they always hold so much more promise than they deliver. They build detailed worlds with interesting backstory, aesthetics and themes only to have the player....walk around shooting everything. Granted, there are lots of *different ways* to shoot everything, but fundamentally, you're still shooting everything.

So I'm torn about this. The world looks cool, the early 1900s is a great period to draw from, this interview seems promising, but I'm still sense that at the end of the day, I'll be spending the game shooting things. Which seems like a bit of a waste, given the apparent potential of the setting.

I'm getting more of a Prince of Persia vibe myself.
Based on the interview Ken did with Rabit on GWJ, I'd say it's going to be more like an Alex situation. She'll be pretty powerful and use her powers to augment yours.

I mean inifinite can be a noun, but "infinity" or "the infinite" is much more usual for that. Commonly, infinite is an adjective, so infinite...what?

skies

But I doubt there is another word, usually announcing a game they don't want to tack something else to it down the road... not like it hasn't happened before though.

Looking at the trailer again, I just noticed that the guy was wearing a suit. If there are any mirrors in the game where you can look at yourself wearing a formal attire + a bowler hat, I'm fucking sold. You don't get to play a nicely dressed hero very often these days.

I wouldn't mind if the "BioShock" name from here on out was applied like a (far) cooler version of the "Final Fantasy" name. Eg, I hope that this game actually has nothing to do with the first two BioShocks other than the ideas behind the core design, and the idea of there being a strong central theme manifested as a physical space.

Unless something super brilliant and unexpected happens, I don't know if, as a fan of the world of the first two games, I'd want these realities to be connected. That would imply that Andrew Ryan was aware of this huge other amazing ideology-as-city when he built Rapture. Takes some of the thrill out of that for me, for sure.

I wouldn't mind if the "BioShock" name from here on out was applied like a (far) cooler version of the "Final Fantasy" name. Eg, I hope that this game actually has nothing to do with the first two BioShocks other than the ideas behind the core design, and the idea of there being a strong central theme manifested as a physical space.

Unless something super brilliant and unexpected happens, I don't know if, as a fan of the world of the first two games, I'd want these realities to be connected. That would imply that Andrew Ryan was aware of this huge other amazing ideology-as-city when he built Rapture. Takes some of the thrill out of that for me, for sure.

I completely agree with this. I suspect this is probably the case, anyway, but who really knows at this point. One of the interviews (naturally, I completely forget which one) has Ken Levine specifically mention Final Fantasy.

Even if there is a connection, it will probably be a rather small one (hopefully), and I can safely ignore it if I find it unsatisfactory. I have a special talent of being able to ignore things I don't like.

Well fuck it then, I was hoping for something that will blow my mind as in something new and not a sequel.

But in the end it is just Bioshock 3, in the sky. :eek:

Nice trailer, but holy shit that was a huge letdown.

I never wanted Bioshock to have any sequels as it worked amazingly as it's own game.

EDIT: The trailer is actually more than nice, it's very cool except for the revelation that this is Bioshock sequel. It's not just the title, but when I saw the Big Daddy etc. I had a meh feeling.

I haven't read the RPS etc. stuff yet, but I'm going to do that next.

Edited by Kolzig

I for one can't wait for the sequel; Bioshock Infinite+1

Bioshock: Infin2te