toblix

BioShock Infinite

oooh flight sim would be interesting, though i doubt it given the market for them. I know Shawn Elliot is a big time air combat dude as well, logging a lot of time in IL-2 and Battlefield.

I don't think it's a flight sim, but what's stopping them. The market changes when someone makes a flight sim that people will play, then after that many will start making flight sims like now everyone seem to be making fps after fps now. You just need someone brave enough to spearhead the change to make something new.

But on a serious note I had no idea until yesterday that Chris left San Francisco and Gamasutra and that Idle Thumbs podcast is propably doomed now that the guys are basically all around the US? I blame this on my vacation, even though I've been three weeks back now, I'm still not completely updated on stuff as I'm at the moment going through podcast #9. So still 3,5 podcasts to go to reach the current situation. Feels like I've entered the Outer Limits or something. I also blame the shitty Twitter because way too much news circle around that these days.

But seriously Ken Levine, Shawn Elliott, Chris Remo and all the other highly talented people at Irrational in the same team. Mind explosion. I hope whatever Chris' tasks will be, that he will be succesful. I hope writing/music duties are in the future for him. :tup:

But on a serious note I had no idea until yesterday that Chris left San Francisco and Gamasutra and that Idle Thumbs podcast is propably doomed now that the guys are basically all around the US? I blame this on my vacation, even though I've been three weeks back now, I'm still not completely updated on stuff as I'm at the moment going through podcast #9. So still 3,5 podcasts to go to reach the current situation. Feels like I've entered the Outer Limits or something. I also blame the shitty Twitter because way too much news circle around that these days.

That's not even the half of it, I guess you haven't found out that Jake died like three episodes ago and they are just using sound bytes of him for the remaining season, but that's the real reason Chris is leaving, I read it on a tweet.

Well, not long now.

I don't think this is going to be a completely new IP. It's a teaser trailer, and Levine said he wants people to see the video before they read any external news about it, so it has to be something people will recognize, right?

Well, not long now.

I don't think this is going to be a completely new IP. It's a teaser trailer, and Levine said he wants people to see the video before they read any external news about it, so it has to be something people will recognize, right?

No.

Excuse me while I go throw up for citing a Kotaku article.

lol the first 2/3 of the trailer look BOSS but then it keeps lagging out before I can see a title or the conclusion... whoever asked for skyshock wasn't far off

Jesus. At first I thought "jeez, another one?" and then "aha, got me!" and then "what?! Awww..." I don't know if I'm disappointed or just taken by surprise.

I'm not sure I would call it original but as good as BioShock was I'll give Irrational the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Hmmm... Bioshock infinite? Different time, different setting, similar gameplay? I'm wondering how Bioshock this will be.

The trailer is available from the main page download section, if you're having trouble with the streaming like me.

Hmmm... Bioshock infinite? Different time, different setting, similar gameplay? I'm wondering how Bioshock this will be.

The trailer is available from the main page download section, if you're having trouble with the streaming like me.

Alternate page, since the servers are getting slammed:

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/08/12/bioshock-infinite-coming-to-ps3-xbox-360-and-pc-in-2012-see-th/

It looks awesome. Say what you will about another Bioshock game getting tiring or whatever, this is a game made by Irrational; I think I'm going to have a little faith.

If everyone in the game wants to kill me, I'm going to be a little annoyed I want a functioning city.

Just having a conversation with Patters in Steam about this, and rather than try and re-type everything, I'll just copy and paste my thoughts here:

[Thumbs][FU] Patters: Disappointed at the title.

Miffy495: Yeah, that's a bummer. Disappointed that it's another FPS, honestly.

Miffy495: I know exactly what to expect from a Bioshock. FPS with some light (INCREDIBLY light) RPG elements in a weird setting with sad-looking robot guys to shoot at. No Freedom Force for me...

[Thumbs][FU] Patters: I really hope that the game isn't all go kill that guy

[Thumbs][FU] Patters: Why does it have to be Bioshock

Miffy495: I dunno man. I liked Bioshock, but not nearly as much as some people seemed to. I thought it was a reasonably good game with one great twist, but not a GREAT game all the way. I really had my hopes higher for this.

[Thumbs][FU] Patters: It was all about the aesthetic for me

Miffy495: It can only trade on that for so long though. Every time you got to a new place there was a great feeling of "holy shit cool" but afterwards you'd explored it. I'm sure Bioshock Infinite will have the same feeling, but it takes way more than that to make a game.

[Thumbs][FU] Patters: I really hope it isn't after everyone has gone mad/died

[Thumbs][FU] Patters: I'd love to explore it before that

Miffy495: There were a couple of people in that trailer. The guy at the record player and the wizard lady pulling you through the air. I take that as a good sign. Who knows, maybe it'll be an RPG set in a living city...

(COMPLETING MY THOUGHT) It won't be though. Everyone went kind of Bioshock crazy when it came out, but it always seemed to me that it was a pretty average game that did a couple of things (twist and atmosphere) very well. That was it though. The sequel I still haven't finished, but it felt very similar to that to me, except so far no twist. To be fair, that is of course not Irrational so it shouldn't count to the track record, but still. I'll still play this, and I'll still like it, but count me among the disappointed. Looks like Ken Levine was "freed from having to work on another Bioshock" so that he could work on another Bioshock...

Given that it's Bioshock we know it's going to have to be a critique on some political philosophy. Finally we'll see a game that has the guts to show America the horrors of a silver backed currency.

In response to Patters and Miffy, I'd recommend you watch Joystiq's interview with Ken Levine... he strongly suggests that the dynamics of the world are going to be very different from Bioshock due to the fact that it's a prequel, so I'd be very optimistic about having non-player characters who actually have some sort of personality.

A clear path through the atmosphere has been set. We're on an exponential curve to the moon!

BioShock 1: Rapture, under the sea.

BioShock 2: Rapture, also under the sea.

BioShock 3: Columbia, turn of the century floating city, hundreds of feet above the earth.

BioShock 4: In a late Cold War-era city-sized NASA/European space station, orbiting Earth.

BioShock 5: MoonShock.

If everyone in the game wants to kill me, I'm going to be a little annoyed I want a functioning city.

I feel the same way. I have not played Bioshock 1 or 2 apart from the demo of the first game because I fucking hate those splicer things. Shame, because the world seemed somewhat interesting. The fact that everybody was not a monster in the new trailer raised my curiosity for Bioshock Infinite (:blink:) somewhat. That and the cloud city itself.

I'm also kind of miffed at the title. It seems more like the result of some marketing person saying, "People know Bioshock, slap that name on it," especially after now seeing the "original IP" quote. I really wish that they had kept closer to "Project Icarus."

I agree with Korax, meh.

It just would have been cool if they could have taken this concept, not used the bioshock name or it's old timey mood.

Yeah, count me among the "disappointed it has the Bioshock name tacked onto it" crowd. Otherwise, it looks pretty swank - and lord knows AAA video games need to be pushing the creative envelope a little harder. I am excited to explore this crazy 1920's sky city.

...isn't the new Zelda game set in basically the same location?

EDIT: I have to interject and say that being down on it because it has an "old timey feel to it" is sort of...wrong? Bioshock was, what, late 1940's inspired? This is 1920's. It's a DIFFERENT kind of old timey. Should be fun.

Well, I'm pretty excited.

I also don't give two shits about the name. Wasn't System Shock essentially the same thing, just set in a dystopian future instead of a dystopian past? (I never played it or its sequel, but that's the impression I've developed over the years.) Whatever call it Shit in a Can and I'd still be interested based on the trailer and the developer.

The rock paper shotgun write up did a lot more to sell me on the game than the trailer did. Not that it was a bad trailer or anything. Supposedly there's a reason it's Bioshock, but even then I kind of wish it was it's own thing.

Well looking at the trailer (thanks JonCole) this game is definitely Bioshock. I was more worried that it wouldn't have any of the same feel of Bioshock in the new setting. Whether or not they should've made another 'Shock is kinda unknown until we see the final product.