toblix

Costume Quest

My only complaint is that the game seems a bit unbalanced - once you get a third companion, the combat becomes *really* easy, so after the difficulty ramps up briefly in the second act, it drops significantly as you head into the third. The final act was probably the easiest section in the game for me.

Hmm. Getting the 3rd person marks being 2/3 of the way through? I'm there already after what seems like not very long at all. But it's fun enough and I guess padding it with grinding would really only make it worse.

Well, hopefully it will be at least some kind of hit. I'll buy this only in Steam if/when it comes.

There is no Halloween in Finland, except for the really lame and cheap forced Halloween that the shops and bars have tried to bring to Finland for some years now. There are no good costumes or other gear ever sold in shops and nobody bothers to make their own costumes. Also there are no trick or treaters here. During easter we get witches to come for candy/money behind the doors, but almost none of those even happen these days. I guess people/parents are scared or something.

In Japan they have some pretty wild Halloween happenings and parties in bars and certain areas thanks to the US marines that occupy the insanely large army camps in all the major cities.

Halloween is a good excuse for parties :) We don't even care if it's on actual Halloween. My student organization is having a party on the 2nd. But dressing up in a constume and getting drunk is fun.

5118939245_34983daab2.jpg

My porch with Bernie/Burny. The light was really hard to photograph, it's both very red and very green. How is this not a place one would gladly go to get candy?

I'm right in thinking there's no co-op in this game? I was considering getting it for a group of a few of my friends to mess around with together a la Castle Crashers, but from what I've seen it doesn't look like there's any multiplayer.

I'm right in thinking there's no co-op in this game? I was considering getting it for a group of a few of my friends to mess around with together a la Castle Crashers, but from what I've seen it doesn't look like there's any multiplayer.

There isn't.

Shit. I must play this, but will be without an internet connection for the month of December. Why???

Just beat the game. Really loved it! Pretty much the first and only JRPG I've ever enjoyed. It was definitely quite rough around the edges, but its charming dialogue & storyline won me over. Also, I've gained a new appreciation for JRPG game mechanics. :tup:

Will now patiently wait for the DLC.

Mo

DLC and a patch have been announced... although I still haven't played this, it's nice to know that some of the frustrating aspects (i.e. saving) have been ironed out...

http://www.doublefine.com/news/comments/you_love_this/

I had a great time with this game. Ultimately, it's one of those "style over substance" games, with very simple and repetitive mechanics that is elevated by the fun art and writing. Some of the best bits came simply from seeing what a new costume looked like in and out of battle. (The fry costume comes to mind as a hilarious surprise.)

I'll be getting the DLC on release day. Hopefully it's got enough style to keep it from overstaying its welcome.

Side note/derail: I followed the link in that Double Fine story to the Gamespot page and the several of the comments are something like: "This game looks good, but it's not a $15 game. It looks like more of a $10 game." This happens all the time and it's irritating. I can understand being frugal or wanting to find a deal, but this ONLY happens for downloadable games, simply because there is a flexibility in pricing. (Some games are $10, some are $15.) The prices for disc games are much higher but no one posts "I want to get Gran Turismo 5/AC: Brotherhood/NFS: Hot Pursuit/etc, but I'm not paying $59.99. Make it $54.99 and I'll bite."

Okay, I get it. Games are too expensive. I agree. But if you're interested in a game that comes on a disc, you'll drop $60 on it anyway with no haggling. Trying to determine the intrinsic dollar value of a game is ridiculous. So to do it exclusively for downloadable games implies these titles aren't valid in the same way as boxed titles, which is bullshit. Many of my favorite titles in the past few years have been download-only and having a game marketplace on consoles is the best thing to happen this generation.

</rant>

I just beat the "Grubbins on Ice" DLC, it's not Xmas related, like I thought, it's just winter related and it's short but sweet, I'm pretty sure I beat it less then 2 hours?

It has a secret area with Stacking characters in it! When was this released? Before or after the announcement of Stacking?

Imagine how awesome it would have been to discover their new game through a secret area! XD

There's already DLC for this?! I don't remember that being announced (not that I often check Double Fine's website). This is the first game I'm getting when I'm no longer broke.

Hmm, come to think of it, I think I only heard of this because I follow some Double Fine people on Twitter....

Oh shit, they stealth released Grubbins on Ice? And me without internet at home... Glad it's not Christmas related now, actually, as I won't get to play it until January. Excited!

Oh shit, they stealth released Grubbins on Ice? And me without internet at home... Glad it's not Christmas related now, actually, as I won't get to play it until January. Excited!

Yeah, it strangely still feels very Halloween-y, but with a snowy mountain as one of the areas you traverse. Playing the DLC made me realize just how much was added to the CQ experience by playing through it in late October.

It feels almost... sacrilegious playing it with snow on the ground outside. Weird.

I hate to be this person, I love Double Fine to death, but $14 seems a bit steep doesn't? I understand they need to make a buck off the port, but I'm coming at this from a "what does $14-$20 get me on Steam" and it can get me a lot... so I dunno about that price point.

Bloody PC gamers... I wonder why publishers don't like the PC as a gaming platform.

On the Xbox/PS3, Costume Quest is $15 without the DLC, and $20 with. AND NOBODY COMPLAINED.

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

Seriously, 14 euros! Jesus Christ what a ripoff! You can have a pizza and beer in a restaurant for roughly the same price and the effects will last much longer than this short-ass game does.