toblix

Costume Quest

Not sure how I feel about this. I didn't play his LucasArts adventure games, so I can't speak to those, but based on Psychonauts and Brutal Legend the writing will be fantastic. The gameplay, on the other hand, probably won't be great.

Psychonauts was mostly OK, except for the Meat Circus level, which was just short of broken. Brutal Legend tried to do too much at once, and didn't do anything particularly well.

I really enjoyed both games, largely based on the writing, so I'll probably play this too. At the same time, I feel like Double Fine would benefit from hiring a game designer, and let Tim Schaefer focus on the writing, and world building.

I didn't play his LucasArts adventure games, so I can't speak to those,

get out.

:tmeh:

I didn't play his LucasArts adventure games, so I can't speak to those, but based on Psychonauts and Brutal Legend the writing will be fantastic.

If you haven't played his adventure games, but like great writing, you should really check out all the LucasArts adventure games in the world.

Yeah, I was watching my girlfriend play through Grim Fandango the other day. I'd forgotten just how clever and constantly inventive the writing was. Fantastic plot, excellent characters, and dialogue sharper than a freshly constructed nail.

Anyways, I'm very excited about this game. I like the cutesy characters and the concept seems right up my alley. :) Should be fun to play this Halloween (seems like they're aiming for an around Halloween release). I like this kind of Deathspank-ish like game.

Not sure how I feel about this. I didn't play his LucasArts adventure games, so I can't speak to those, but based on Psychonauts and Brutal Legend the writing will be fantastic. The gameplay, on the other hand, probably won't be great.

get out.

:tmeh:

I'm almost willing to agree with Murdoc... Aren't most of us here, or at least the veterans, hardcore Lucasarts adventure fans?:erm:

Psychonauts was mostly OK, except for the Meat Circus level, which was just short of broken.

I think I hear Tim calling you a sissy.

What’s up with Meat Circus?

What’s up with Meat Circus is that you’re a sissy. Sure, sure, invisibility is very important when Raz’s dad is trying to knock you off those tight ropes. And your shield will bounce the knife thrower’s blades right into those spinning target wheels. And also you can throw a confusion grenade at that bunny and then just go pick it up, instead of trying to grab it with Telekinesis. Those things are also true. But the main point I’m trying to make here is that first one, about you being a sissy.

I'm almost willing to agree with Murdoc... Aren't most of us here, or at least the veterans, hardcore Lucasarts adventure fans?:erm:

Hahah, before the podcast started, it was uniformly like that I think.

But yeah, what's up with this? I feel similar to Murdoc. This is like a mash of 4 or 5 different styles in one screenshot. This is all coming out really fast.

I guessing it will be good?!

Yeah, I mean the premise of old school earthbound style rpg is great, kids on halloween; awesome! But the art direction isn't my first choice and considering it's coming from Doublefine, a bit sloppy/lazy.

IF they want to do that crap cel shading(meaning default, out of the box algorothm that looks like crap) alright cool, but then they are doing the standard painted texture environment art... which makes me think of the PA games like someone mentioned, but then the children designs are just boring too.

Sort of looks like they want a powerpuff or windwaker look out of them, but nothing at all is dynamic and the art is just, well, bad.

Doublefine usually has better designers and imagination then this for their art, just because it's low budget doesn't mean a creative's brain calculate said budget and designs accordingly.

I'm not familiar and google spits out a basketball player... which might explain what we're seeing, but any examples of her work?

edit: Or I could take two seconds and look at Doublefines site, lol.

http://www.doublefine.com/comics/Tasha/

Yeah, I dunno, that doesn't explain much to me though either, I mean the raw comicy comicness of it(oh I know words) is whatever, but not sure if that explains the deliberate separation in style and technology going on in the game screens.

A lot of people seem to do it and I never understand it, except trying to do the classical animation thing of simple shaded characters against elaborately painted backgrounds; like I understand that as a thing and understand the desire to do that, so why are most attempts to do this for games so lackluster and lazy?

edit2: Like for example look at Telltales Mcscoobins or whatever thing, that's totally that guys art and they nailed it for the game(granted totally different game type that might be easier to achieve) but I thought that translation and personality to it is commendable enough to point out.

Tasha's work is a little bit more animation-oriented. She was at Pixar, for example, and was responsible for all those wonderful facial expressions in Brutal Legend.

I can see why people might dislike the look of the game, but I know that feeling when I dislike something initially but see a certain appeal when I squint my eyes and suddenly get it. It'll probably and hopefully grow on you. Personally, I'm all for it.

I'm not big on the art, but I love the concept. Things tends to grow on me over time, anyway, unless I outright despise them (and this art does not inspire hatred, just ambivalence).

Guess we'll see.

Of course, I can't play it anyway. Don't have a 360 or a PS3. U:

Is this a real screenshot or just a mock up? I don't hate the art style, but some of the UI elements look really rough like they were just photoshopped in.

The white background area behind the "run away" instructions especially sticks out like a sore thumb.

I can't imagine that a company like Double Fine, whose releases thus far shine perhaps best in the visuals department, would consider that GUI a final thing.

Also: art style already growing on me. U: I think the only thing really bothering me (aside from GUI) is how bright the player models are compared to the backgrounds.

Kroms, are you suggesting we squint our eyes while playing this game?

Heh, that got a chuckle out of me this morning. :) But just in case other people think I'm being stupid again, I just mean it in a figurative sense: let it grow on you. It's got a certain appeal to it.

I think I hear Tim calling you a sissy.

I never understood why people complained about the Meat Circus, I didn't have any problems with it. Sure it was challenging, but far from impossible or unplayable.

I'm really looking forward to Costume Quest and Double Fine's other downloadable releases, especially if one of them is a pure point & click adventure game. Ron Gilbert did recently leave Hothead games, maybe he'll team up with Tim Schafer.

This is then the first of the four projects under development at Doublefine.

It will be interesting to see how this will develop as it's now the first project made public that is not lead by Tim. I hope he is not shifting permanently into a kind of background guy just managing the company.

That would be a dream if Ron and Tim made a game together after all these years. :tup:

Shame that there is no Steam release.

It will be interesting to see how this will develop as it's now the first project made public that is not lead by Tim. I hope he is not shifting permanently into a kind of background guy just managing the company.

You know, I have that same fear as well. It's kind of silly and selfish, because it's weird for fans to expect everything from a growing small company to just come from one guy's lead, but I guess with Schafer he's one of the few that has games that sit on a "special place" on the shelf (golden raised podium with engraved plague). It also makes me personally less interested, but I will still try to maintain interest, because companies like Double Fine deserve it.

Heh, that got a chuckle out of me this morning. :) But just in case other people think I'm being stupid again, I just mean it in a figurative sense: let it grow on you. It's got a certain appeal to it.

Aww, I was just kidding around. I hope no one was taking you literally.

I'm also going to guess this art isn't finalized, like the GUI elements some were pointing out. The kids seem finalized, although I'm not happy with them. As Murdoc said, they just seem too much like Wind Waker rejects. Even in Wind Waker not everyone looked like Link.

Not terribly excited yet, but certainly keen to see where this as well as the other projects are going. Not sure whether I like the art style or not, but at least the graphics are not bad (if that makes any sense). Is there any information out on the other games in the making (such as who will be leading)? Will Schafer be more involved in one/some of them?

Just realized that I still haven't played Brütal Legend. :tmeh:

I feel like Double Fine would benefit from hiring a game designer

I'm pretty sure Double Fine employs a number of game designers.

I haven't played Brutal Legend (due to not having a system on which it actually exists), but Psychonauts had some great gameplay, if somewhat flawed. D: