Jake

The Idle Thumbs Podcast Episode 12: The Silken Goku

I think anyone who thinks this incarnation of the podcast is "less weird and funny" must have a weirdly specific hearing loss of the exact frequency of Jake's voice.

If your definition of "less crazy" is: Jokes spanning many episodes involving "backing into a fake arm" and "a kidnapper called Phaderus who appears to be slowly morphing into a teenage girl" then your dictionary sucks.

Honestly, I encountered this podcast at a phase when I suddenly got back into games after ignoring them for 7 years. It started with Arkham Asylum in March.It ended in July with the horrible company I was doing shitty games journalism for imploding and my second hand xbox doing the same two days later. In that span of a couple of months I listened to all the back episodes of the following casts: Giant Bomb, GFW, Brainy Gamer, Bitmob, Weekend Confirmed, Rockpapershotgun and the idle thumbs cast. It was an intense and weird thing.

But after this bizarre gaming fog-of-war thankfully lifted (I still respect games ect, I just like other things more and really cannot afford them) I wanted to stick with the thumbs. Maybe it's cause I'm from Ireland and value banter above all other things or maybe it's because these guys seemed like dudes I have hung out with in the past. I often thought it would be great if they had another podcast that wasn't even about games. They are just funny dudes, funny in a way none of my comedy podcasts (said like "my stories") manage. Organic,unselfconscious humor with no reason to pander or give a fuck about anyone getting it. I thought Sean fit in well and really liked his earnest, funny and enthusiastic presence. He also spells his first name in the only correct way (oh yes Edgar Wright, I extend you every invitation to suck it) .

I said this to the guys in an email but I'd like a Jake and Sean bullshit-about-nothing cast. I know the myriad of reasons this would not work and that all the guys now hate me for suggesting it. But think of the majestic wave of anger that would greet two Thumbs, starting a non-gaming related cast that could legitimately be called Famous/Video Games. And there aren't two men more suited to growing large on the ensuing ire.

And Chris's song

http://nochorus.tumblr.com/post/598141492/this-is-so-great

Is one of my favorite tunes of this year. So ace.

Yeah so, thanks for the pod guys, you cast it so elegantly. I will stand on the roof of my shitty apartment complex after hearing the last one and emit a mournful "gunga galunga!"

Ps, really obvious favorite quote

"I almost immediately moved on to thinking 'oh cool, a wizard I wonder if he has a sweet hat' "

I think anyone who thinks this incarnation of the podcast is "less weird and funny" must have a weirdly specific hearing loss of the exact frequency of Jake's voice.

If your definition of "less crazy" is: Jokes spanning many episodes involving "backing into a fake arm" and "a kidnapper called Phaderus who appears to be slowly morphing into a teenage girl" then your dictionary sucks.

Honestly, everything I just said could be summed up as: it doesn't really sound like they're having fun anymore.

Dude, whatever the cast is always great. It's an axiom. They've had elucidating conversations about game design and hilarious joke combos. What more could you want?

"Jake (as though reading a fax): Remember the airfield?"

Honestly, everything I just said could be summed up as: it doesn't really sound like they're having fun anymore.
That's the Gaynor effect. I'm not saying he's a downer, but when you replace someone like Nick who's main role was bird noises with Steve, who likes to kill memes in utero, it's not surprising. Personally I really like the in depth stuff that Steve brings to the podcast, but the jokes-per-minute is definitely lower.

In the end I feel like it's comparing children. You know there's one you like better, but you love them both and try not to think about it.

As the newest addition but long-time listener, I will say we have a TREMENDOUS amount of fun and the end of this particular type of fun is the only negative to come out of a great opportunity for Chris.

Will be sorry to see this end, again.

These podcasts were an essential part of my week. The funniest part of it was that I had considered going to PAX East to see the show and then dismissed it because I had way too much work on. I am now regretting that decision.

Personally, I like both versions of the podcast and will miss them when they are gone. Idle Thumbs generally has the best mix of zany comedy, and very interesting video game related discussion. The discussion about achievements this episode was grand.

This thread is reminding me of a joke at the end of the latest episode Yugioh Abridged series..."WHY IS IT DIFFERENT?!?!"

Also this (all apologies to Steve):

sorrysteve.jpg

That's the Gaynor effect. I'm not saying he's a downer, but when you replace someone like Nick who's main role was bird noises with Steve, who likes to kill memes in utero, it's not surprising. Personally I really like the in depth stuff that Steve brings to the podcast, but the jokes-per-minute is definitely lower.

You're just saying that because you have the biggest god damn hard on for Remo.

You're just saying that because you have the biggest god damn hard on for Remo.

who doesn't?

who doesn't?

All I'm saying is that my favorite member of NSync was Justin Timberlake not only because of how cute he was but because he was a sassy bad boy who just didn't give a fuck.

VVYszQrKo9g

Played at my theater for a month. Will be starting an encore in a week because it made us so much fucking money when we were in our slowest period of the year (who the hell sees art films in mid-summer? Nobody but the hardest of the hardcore). Do not underestimate the appeal of the babies. I hate this movie, but it kept me from worrying about my theater going under this year, which is rare.

My girlfriend and I were supposed to see Babies but ran out of time after deciding not to see it the last weekend it was playing around us because the reviews seemed to indicate it wasn't very interesting and it was sort of about nothing in particular.

I guess steer clear, Miffy?

The most important thing I can tell you is that there's no narration. None. It is almost exactly 88 minutes of home video footage of babies spilling things on themselves, but more professionally shot. If that still sounds like a thing you want to see, by all means, go for it. I won't judge. Not my thing at all though, and it made me a bit sad that a theater that normally puts on socially relevant or at least somewhat challenging films (along with things like our 80's slasher movie festival in October, of course) was using a time slot on that in order to stay financially viable. Oh well.

Someday I'll play BioShock. Initially I skipped it because it came out too close to Space Giraffe,

This bears quoting I think.

Anyone listen to the @1up podcast? Alan Johnson's been awesome on it, and it's a shame that he's gone now. But since he's moved on to Telltale I'm praying for a Jake/Sean/Alan Telltale tell-all tall tales podcast. Not sure if it would actually work (Hawkman vs Wizard?) but could be amazing.

Anyone listen to the @1up podcast? Alan Johnson's been awesome on it, and it's a shame that he's gone now. But since he's moved on to Telltale I'm praying for a Jake/Sean/Alan Telltale tell-all tall tales podcast. Not sure if it would actually work (Hawkman vs Wizard?) but could be amazing.

I'd much rather see the Idle Thumbs guys on Weekend Confirmed.

I don't know. Alan was a big reason why I stopped listening to any 1up podcasts. It wasn't him in particular, but all the kids trying so hard kind of made me cringe. 1up just didn't have the bandwidth for so many podcasts after all the layoffs and closing of magazines.

I'd much rather see the Idle Thumbs guys on Weekend Confirmed.

I would love this too, but as far as I know, Weekend Confirmed records in LA.

I would love this too, but as far as I know, Weekend Confirmed records in LA.

Is that, uh, far from where the Thumbs are? >_>

This bears quoting I think.

If ever I had a GOTY, Space Giraffe was it. It took a lot of time and effort to get all the achievements (something I've never gone out of my way to do with any other game) and to protect my place on the high score list.

For about the first week or so I was in second place right behind Jeff Minter himself.

I had an unfair advantage, since prior to the game's release I had gotten drunk and passed out at Jeff Minter's house, and at some point during that night of debauchery I had played some SG and received tips on strategy and enemy behavior from the designer.

There's a big difference between not knowing what the fuck is going on in that game and having a slight clue. It wasn't long before I was left in the dust. I've seen people do things in that game that I know I'll never be able to accomplish.

Edit: but yes, I understand how absurd it sounds to have passed up Bioshock for Space Giraffe.

Edited by tentaclesex

382 miles.

Ah, I always assumed it was closer than that, seeing as Nick used to work for Shack etc. I guess he worked from home then!