Jake

The Idle Thumbs Podcast Episode 12: The Silken Goku

Someday I'll play BioShock. Initially I skipped it because it came out too close to Space Giraffe, and I always intended to go back to it at some point, but I haven't yet.

I have no right to talk or write about video games.

I have no right to talk or write about video games.

Because of Bioshock? It's not that important. There are other way more important games out there.

Because of Bioshock? It's not that important. There are other way more important games out there.

Like Killzone 2.

So it's mint in box?

Nah, I took it out of the plastic to look at all the neat swag it came with.

Unlike Steve Gaynor's Match Three Express Massager. That's a touchstone for the ages. :tup:

After repeated readings (I am a reader after all), I must say that The Silken Goku is probably my favorite Idle Thumbs podcast.

HERE IS A DISSER-TATION:

I've noticed an interesting discrepancy between the two incarnations of Idle Thumbs. The original pod was complete lunatic fun. It was crazy, hilarious, off-the-wall, and also managed to contain interesting video game discussions.

The new podcast is far less crazy and funny, with many jokes falling flat, and periods of dead time between tangents, and a bit of a limp feeling. However, the interesting discussions just got more interesting. Like the looooong discussion at the end of this episode about the craftsmanship of VDGMS.

The difference between the two? Nick Breckon.

Who never said anything.

Strange.

HERE IS A DISSER-TATION:

I've noticed an interesting discrepancy between the two incarnations of Idle Thumbs. The original pod was complete lunatic fun. It was crazy, hilarious, off-the-wall, and also managed to contain interesting video game discussions.

The new podcast is far less crazy and funny, with many jokes falling flat, and periods of dead time between tangents, and a bit of a limp feeling. However, the interesting discussions just got more interesting. Like the looooong discussion at the end of this episode about the craftsmanship of VDGMS.

Who never said anything.

Strange.

Yeah, I noticed this. The first show was like a bunch of hangin' teenagers jus' doin' their thang, chillin', maxin', relaxin' all cool.

The new one seems like everyone all growed up, searching for the pursuit of happyness.

Personally, I think it's a shame. As much as I enjoy the intelligent discussions, my favourite parts of the show was always the hilarious memes that emerged. Shadow and Colossus is a particular favourite. You can't blame Steve Hot Scoops Gaynor either, because he was on the old show and it was still funny.

It seems like they wanted to take themselves more seriously, and this is the result.

=(

HERE IS A DISSER-TATION:

Who never said anything.

Strange.

Though I agree with you, I have to say that the last episode was at about 80% of the original ones and if you count that there are far less episodes of the newer ones I think that episodes would get to some extend on the same level if there were just more of them(not to bright of a future on that part I predict). Anyway it is very familiar to the Bioshock/Bioshock 2 relationship.

Personally, I think it's a shame. As much as I enjoy the intelligent discussions, my favourite parts of the show was always the hilarious memes that emerged. Shadow and Colossus is a particular favourite. You can't blame Steve Hot Scoops Gaynor either, because he was on the old show and it was still funny.

It seems like they wanted to take themselves more seriously, and this is the result.

Whatever dudes, new incarnation is/was better. Less Goldblums, more games.

True fans prefer the 2006 incarnation of The Idle Thumbs Podcast with Ben, Spaff and Marek. :grin:

Just kidding, it's all quality. Best of luck to Chris at Irrational and whatever you all decide to do with Idle Thumbs in the future! :tup:

It saddens me that you would have to ask this.

It saddens me that you dropped out of the goddamn Neptune's Pride game.

It saddens me that you dropped out of the goddamn Neptune's Pride game.

I just don't have the bandwidth -- I'm woefully behind on ten other things and would've just let my galactic empire fall into decay.

I'm on the next one though.

I just don't have the bandwidth -- I'm woefully behind on ten other things and would've just let my galactic empire fall into decay.

I'm on the next one though.

Chris, just think about this way. Now I can play! Famous was just thinking about the forum members, because he's nice like that. I can tell. He has a nice man's voice.

Who was it that named his SC2 battle.net account "Games"? Blizzard is offering one free name change "in the near future."

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/572264

The thing that saddenes me is that in that article there were about 2 'free's in every sentance. I mean, did they expect that people expected that they would have to pay for this.

The thing that saddenes me is that in that article there were about 2 'free's in every sentance. I mean, did they expect that people expected that they would have to pay for this.

You have to pay for everything else in Blizzard games, so.... yeah. :yep:

It saddens me that you would have to ask this.

I would have assumed that it was Jake, but he's too good for video games and doesn't play them.

Not sure where else to throw this. There is a new cyborg in town.

"Mad Catz' Cyborg R.A.T. 9 wireless gaming mouse features 2.4Ghz wireless technology with less than 1 millisecond of lag, two lithium-ion rechargeable battery packs, 42 grams of removable weights and a charging stand that can power-up the spare battery and hold the weights.

Gamers can individually set the x and y-axis DPI of the R.A.T. 9's 5600DPI gaming grade laser sensor and

store 4 individual DPI settings which can be instantly recalled via an integrated toggle switch.

The house also includes a precision aim mode which allows gamers to hold down a button and temporarily slow down

cursor movement, steadying the aim. The mouse's five programmable buttons combined with a 3 position mode switch allows for a total of up to 15 user definable commands to be available to the gamer at any one time. Cyborg Smart Technology software included in pack allows gamers to remap programmable buttons and create custom macros. The R.A.T. 9 is compatible with Windows 7, Vista and XP and sells for $129.99, £119.99, €129.99.

Mad Catz is also showing off their new G.L.I.D.E. mouse pad at this week's show.

The G.L.I.D.E. 7 is 19.7" by 15.7" and made of "a low-friction synthetic fabric ensuring smooth and

accurate mouse control at all times.""

Any thoughts as to what R.A.T. and G.L.I.D.E. stand for?

http://kotaku.com/5614603/cyborg-rat-invades-gamescom-this-week

340x_r9_2.jpg

Edited by Ravioli_Sumo

Like Killzone 2.

Ah yes, the Citizen Killzone of hover-cart simulators. (Seriously, those flying things they used to drop into the combat area seemed ridiculously impractical.)

I actually just finished KZ2 a couple of weeks ago. Apparently I had stopped playing right before the final battle without knowing it, so I popped it in, played for 5 minutes, and it was over. Man, that game was dumb.

I will say that I like what I've played of KZ3 so far. The controls seem tighter, and it has jet packs. You know what else had a jet pack? That's right, PO'ed, one of the finest first-person shooters of our time.

3DO for life, son.