Ben X

Scott Pilgrim [graphic novel/motion picture]

Thought I'd better start a non-games thread for this.

What did you think of the ending, then, Hermie et al? I had a similar reaction to it as I did to Lost - expectations of a plot- and action-heavy ending were subverted, which meant I was frustrated at first, but appreciative on a second viewing.

Annoyed that they switched publisher (in the UK at least) so the spine doesn't match with the first five.

Apparently the film will have a completely different ending due to the final issue not having been done when they were scripting/shooting. I bet it's very similar though, as O'Malley surely would have shared his vague plans with them, at least.

Overall I was only slightly underwhelmed with the 6th volume only because I expected so much after the first five. Maybe I shouldn't say underwhelmed, but it's not my favorite volume out of them all. The ending was pretty much what I was expecting but that is not a bad thing. This is definitely my favorite comic/graphic novel series though, no book has ever made me laugh so much.

Also can't wait for the movie, definitely will be going to a midnight showing of that. I don't mind if it veers from the ending of the books as overall it looks very faithful and it will be fun to go in not knowing exactly what to expect.

I was surprised by the sheer overall amount of

gay/closeted/experimenting

characters in it. I wonder if the film will reflect that.

I felt underwhelmed at first, but a friend put it to me that he appreciated the

complete lack of typical reveals or twists, and that it was about something as wholesome as them just having to work on their relationship

:tup:

Volume 5 made me pretty angry, for example....but not at all in a bad way...it made me angry in the sense that I tend to get...too much...immersed and...let's say, emotionally involved...hahah...sounds a bit stupid maybe, but it's true.

But I liked the ending....although...I don't know...I could say that, through the several last pages...I kinda expected a wee bit more and at the same time I found it quite satisfying...Yeah, Nachimir said it all. :tup:

I certainly have to agree with Moelman, this definitely is my favorite comic/graphic novel series...for lots of reasons that everybody who's read Scott Pilgrim, knows. It's hilarious, it has action, it has tons of references to video games, it's crazy, it has a story about band issues (bits and pieces of which I can also relate to, having experienced a somewhat similar story in my life), it has a love story (heck, several love stories perplexed), it's upfront about lots of things (e.g., as Moelman said,

characters etc.), and again, it's hilarious, the style of humor being on a level like no comic book I've ever read......It is and has many things!

Anyway...

I was surprised by the sheer overall amount of

characters in it. I wonder if the film will reflect that.

Yeah, about that, judging by the trailers, when it comes to Wallace's character, for example, it doesn't seem that Kulkin is going for that kinda thing in the movie....he seems almost like a tender soul, a trusty sidekick to Scott...when in the books, he is like an

up-yours-i-can-do-what-i-want flaming homosexual

...but I could be greatly mistaken for judging by the seen short trailers. There's not even 10 seconds of footage of him, not to mention the other...interesting characters and their characteristics so...I won't judge about anything until I see the movie. And besides, I've read somewhere that all the actors deliver almost perfectly and the characters are really well portrayed.

Edited by tm_drummer

Some part or another in the distribution chain has been closed for the summer, so my local shop still hasn't gotten the final volume. Pain.

Annoyed that they switched publisher (in the UK at least) so the spine doesn't match with the first five.

It's more a case of them actually *having* a UK publisher this time around. You can still get the Oni Press edition, if you know where to look.

I waited an extra week and a half for that sucker, and it didn't disappoint. It's not my favourite volume, but it was a suitable conclusion, I thought.

Saw the movie last weekend. Before going into it, am I even posting in the right thread?

Some people are even posting about the movie in the game thread. The moderation on these forums is a JOKE.

I tried to read the books, and made up to the third one before I realised I had only laughed once. I don't think I like that kind of overly referential angsty teenage humor. Maybe if I read it 5 years ago, it'd be like the bible, but as something that people say is "for gamers", I hated it. Boring, bland characters.

Bosses dropping money was good though

I really enjoyed the movie. I haven't read the comics, so I have no frame of reference but it seemed like they were very faithful to the source material. So much so that it has some very distinct film-making tricks, and the editing is lightning fast. Not in a confusing way, even, if you let yourself be taken in by the hyper-ness of everything.

I can agree that there's not a huge emotional core to it, but I got feelings from it in a different way than with successfully dramatic films. In a more immature and simple way.

Anyway, definately worth seeing.

Really, my favorite parts of the series were the little stuff, the weird touches, the banter between characters... I saw splashes of my own friends and experiences in those interactions, and it helped me connect to the material better.

The last volume felt like it was mostly fight scenes, which I always found to be the least interesting parts of the series as a whole. I guess I was hoping for something more like a battle of wits between Gideon and Scott (with Scott obviously at the severe disadvantage there) and most of the characters being involved in some way. Dudes clashing swords one-on-one is kind of hard to connect with.

All in all, I thought the final volume was merely good. Not great, not awful, just... a decent ending. I suppose it fits well as a video game analogue, though, since a lot of great classic games ended with a fairly standard final boss fight and then exactly the ending you expect. Though O'Malley may have missed an opportunity by not having Gideon lose quickly, then reveal his "true form" and turn into a ridiculous-looking demon monster like nearly every final boss ever.

I am basically completely obsessed, seen the movie twice, listened to the soundtrack numerous times, and now I want my friend to finish reading my novels so I can read them again...help me.

So, are we still avoiding spoilers? At this point I guess the US people have had a chance to see it...

So much so that it has some very distinct film-making tricks, and the editing is lightning fast.

Yeah, the editing is interesting - the absurd quick cuts (somebody comments on Scott's hair, cut back to Scott wearing a hat) and the Reservoir Dogsy cuts where the same conversation is carried on through cuts across several different scenes are quite familiar from Edgar Wright's direction on Spaced. But the fights scenes are very consciously not cut in a Paul WS Anderson or Michael Bay way. I saw a preview of SPvTW in London, and I was reminded of a screener I'd seen for Transformers a few years ago. Everyone in that was hoping for an awesome experience, and there were moments where that promise was delivered, but a lot of the action took place in a rapid sequence of crash zooms and quick cuts, to the point that you didn't have much of an idea what was happening - and then you got a pull back and a slo-mo sequence of robots jumping across each other's lines of fire (like idiots) to relocate you in the scene. Compare that with the Lucas Lee fight, where the camera basically stays focused on Michael Cera, with attacks coming in from the sides of the screen.

I liked the editing, and it was cool to see Edgar Wright take the Spaced stuff to the next level. I really liked the video game references in that series.

Overall though, I just didn't get into the movie as much as I thought I would. It's weird... there was so much stuff in the movie that I liked but I just wasn't into it as much as I thought I would be. Maybe I'm a bit over Michael Cera being Michael Cera. I'm not really sure what it is.

I liked the editing, and it was cool to see Edgar Wright take the Spaced stuff to the next level. I really liked the video game references in that series.

Overall though, I just didn't get into the movie as much as I thought I would. It's weird... there was so much stuff in the movie that I liked but I just wasn't into it as much as I thought I would be. Maybe I'm a bit over Michael Cera being Michael Cera. I'm not really sure what it is.

I think I came into the movie expecting a disaster, so I was really pleased with what they provided. I will say I agree about Michael Cera, he needs a new shtick.

(Carrying on from the discussion that derailed the game thread for a bit) Imagine these as a Venn diagram:

Hipsters > Hipster Nerds < Nerds

The massive inflation of a formerly niche comic into other media is squashing all of the fans together, over previously uncomfortable though not particularly hostile lines. Now they're all having to rub together very closely while working out their own fandom/anti-fandom.

Hipsters and nerds both get to feel like their clique is being culturally invaded by things they despise, while the uber-scene kids already smack bang in the middle get to feel like their entire life is being sold out around them. Cue massive torrent of bile and argument.

I had that opinion ages before you, Nachimir. Way to jump on the bandwagon.

I had that opinion ages before you, Nachimir. Way to jump on the bandwagon.

Whatever, you all know I was in on this scene way before all of you sell outs!