Sign in to follow this  
toblix

Torchlight 2

Apparently it was just announced. Seems it's a straight-up co-op thing rather than the MMO that was discussed earlier.

Someone's gotta capitalize on the Diablo 3 delays. I enjoyed Torchlight for what it is, but it definitely needs a multiplayer structure like Diablo 2 for it to flourish. People need a reason to farm bosses for items and trade them with other players, which was the hook that got me back in the D2 days.

And a cow level.

Ahh.. Overworld areas. Could be interesting. Although I enjoyed the original, the sequel really has to offer something more than just a new 30-level dungeon to explore before I will buy it.

I really wanted to like Torchlight, the music was great, the gameplay was pretty fun, just the tone of it didn't connect with me.

That will probably change when I can play with friends, as I don't need to pay attention to the goofy/lightness of it.

are we sure the MMO isn't a separate project altogether?
I think this is the case. I'm glad they are making this as I'm not sure I'd be interested in the MMO, but online co-op? Fuck yes.

Why would they do this? The forum and the internet as a whole has screamed at them over no multiplayer. Then they said their next one was going to be an MMO. I guess, realistically, there is less to do to their core engine and platform to make it co-op-y over making it MMO-y.

This seems like a weird move sales wise. The second co-op version will not sell nearly as much as an MMO would.

Torchlight, more like "Loot Clicker" amirite? Anyways, bad jokes aside, this was truly a good game, and I don't care overly about the MMO thing - It would be very cool, but I guess I can settle for co-op.

Edited by Drath

But it is multiplayer, just not massively so.

Sorry, I was too quick writing that post, I re-wrote it to make sense.

Why would they do this? The forum and the internet as a whole has screamed at them over no multiplayer. Then they said their next one was going to be an MMO. I guess, realistically, there is less to do to their core engine and platform to make it co-op-y over making it MMO-y.

This seems like a weird move sales wise. The second co-op version will not sell nearly as much as an MMO would.

Torchlight, more like "Loot Clicker" amirite? Anyways, bad jokes aside, this was truly a good game, and I don't care overly about the MMO thing - It would be very cool, but I guess I can settle for co-op.

An MMO might sell more over its lifetime, but it also costs a lot more and takes a lot longer to make. It seems perfectly reasonable that Runic would want to capitalize on what it learned from making the first game with a new project that they can get out the door in a reasonable amount of time, while planning the MMO in the longer term. Plus, this will give them a live game with which to test their multiplayer infrastructure, without jumping straight into the deep end of running an MMO.

The MMO is still coming, guys! Calm down. x:

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2010/08/torchlight-ii/

In a press release, Runic Games’ CEO Max Schaefer assured fans that a planned Torchlight MMO is still in the works. “We are still going to make the MMO,” he said, “but it became apparent that Torchlight II was the logical next step for us given the phenomenal enthusiasm of gamers petitioning us for multiplayer.”

Unlike Torchlight, I'm going to buy this on release day. I was never into Diablo-like games, but Torchlight clickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclicked.
I think it's good they're taking baby steps into multiplayer, it's easy to underestimate the complexity.

I think it's good they're taking baby steps into multiplayer, it's easy to underestimate the complexity.

I agree. I really liked Torchlight and I'm only getting into Diablo type gameplay now. I didn't play Diablo when it first came out.

Looking forward to playing this co-op version with Thumbs.

I have starcraft 2 and a fancypants new laptop which can run it with enough whiz bang graphics options on that it no longer looks like starcraft 1 and yet I find myself replaying torchlight instead. Odd.

I loved Torchlight - loved it a lot, actually, and blogged about it, and Idle Thumbs' response to it here. But one of the things I loved about it was that it was single-player Diablo, effectively. I liked that the whole game had been set up for one person - that you didn't feel like you were missing out by playing it alone.

I'm excited about Torchlight 2, but I'm not as excited about multiplayer Torchlight 2.