Forbin

"My son is killing me" Video game featured in the New Yorker

http://www.newyorker.com/online/2010/08/09/100809on_audio_baker

This week in the magazine, Nicholson Baker tries his hand at violent video games. Here Baker talks with Blake Eskin about what it’s like for a “nontheistic Quaker” to play a first-person shooter, how a father-son duel can be a bonding experience, and how novel-writing compares to game design.
I'm pretty sure, he is oblivious to the existence of Quake, which makes that just gold IMO. I'm going to have to pick this up, because from the podcast this seems to be the type of article on gaming written by a non-gamer that I might actually be interested in.

Apparently he mentions gaming podcasts as well, calling the crew at Giant Bomb "charmingly garrulous".

Edited by Forbin
typo

Pretty good. I liked that. :D It's nice when someone at least tries to understand it a bit better.

Is this the same article that the guy commented on how "charmingly garrulous" the Giant Bombcast guys are?

Just read through the article, it's not really as interesting as his talk on their podcast. I was hoping for a more of an article discussing gaming in general, but it is pretty much just a bunch of impressions of specific games and short mentions of the culture. His review of God of War 3 is funny though, basically saying that they use the Greek myths to try to excuse it's brutality, and that it was a waste of talent.

There's also an idle thumbs worthy sunset and lighting ramble while talking about Red Dead Redemption.

That was a great listen. Thanks for the link.

The guy wanting to sit down and figure out how to represent and display little facets of life in games, using the analogy to noticing something in life and dropping it into a sentence in his novel, maybe made my week.

As someone who is maybe too mired in the details of stuff like that, it's refreshing as hell to hear someone from the outside acknowledge what so few people inside gaming do -- that every single thing you see in a game came from human hands and was a conscious choice based on observation and thought (even if the thinking was about what rules and formulas will guide a computer to create it procedurally). Or, at least, that everything in a game has the potential to be that.

This clip reminded me of how much I love to listen to people talk about video games who just played video games for the first time, or whatever. A lot of people can be very close minded about games, and when people just try it out and see how amazing games can be it offers a very special experience.

I dont really remember how I felt when I first played video games and I think that is true for most gamers. It is easy to forget how amazing video games can be when one plays them daily, so to listen to someone's newly formed opinions on games can be very refreshing

This clip reminded me of how much I love to listen to people talk about video games who just played video games for the first time, or whatever. A lot of people can be very close minded about games, and when people just try it out and see how amazing games can be it offers a very special experience.

I dont really remember how I felt when I first played video games and I think that is true for most gamers. It is easy to forget how amazing video games can be when one plays them daily, so to listen to someone's newly formed opinions on games can be very refreshing

In my case, I first encountered PC games at such a young age that I probably didn't even really have much of a true "reaction" to them, at least not in any conscious sense, since I hadn't yet developed many preconceptions or assumptions about any entertainment or culture. Coming from that background, it does make it particularly interesting to see reactions from people who have already had a lifetime of experiences.

In my case, I first encountered PC games at such a young age that I probably didn't even really have much of a true "reaction" to them, at least not in any conscious sense, since I hadn't yet developed many preconceptions or assumptions about any entertainment or culture. Coming from that background, it does make it particularly interesting to see reactions from people who have already had a lifetime of experiences.

What you were saying made me think of how deaf people react to a cochlear implant put in their ear. Obviously it's probably a much more alien experience than playing your first video game, though.

With that, I'd argue comic book writers have never been very important or prominent, but have for whatever reason ended up getting all of the praise in the United States because of the two corporate comic giants who separate each part and make a somewhat simple artform (in terms of construction) into a committee design. DC Vertigo has made Alan Moore some kind of comic god, when I'd say he's only above average.

I think the best comics have been done by the person who is both writing and drawing, there's no better way for an artist to tell a story than to be able to not have to know every literary trick in the book and to use the importance of visuals which is often lost on people writing for comics or cartoons.

People forget that drawing is a form of storytelling and communication foremost, and that when you are drawing you are writing in a way. When the current US system is set up the way it is, like the scriptwriter is god, then it becomes hard for the artist to flex his muscles (especially when he has to hand the pencils to a separate inker and then on to a committee of 12 to color in Photoshop) and actually show what someone good with a pencil is worth.

While I liked Uncharted 2 a lot, the story was still pretty abysmal. The essential "YOU GOTTA BELIEVE" part and the constant sarcasm should show that it wasn't the most well constructed story ever. No video game has ever passed some of my favorite comics in terms of writing or art direction (except maybe Grim Fandango) and these days video games are committee designed by default almost. They do tend to shine with the one lead steering everything, the director, but I still don't think those are comparable. Marv Wolfman can get fucked in all orifices for all I care,as if the guy who writes for Superman or Teen Titans has some sort of essential point to make.

(Sorry if I'm coming off as a total ass to you Sleepdance, it's really just something I feel personally about and I don't mean to attack you or anything.)

Edited by syntheticgerbil

No man. I just fund this article somehow and since it was sorta relevant to the topic I decided to post it, but I never said I agree with him.