kashwashwa

Gemini Rue

I guess this was pretty good game considering it was mainly done by one guy, but it's weird that this game has gotten so much hype, and sold more than all the other Wadjet eye games combined (I think I remember reading). I kept waiting for it to turn the tables on me and play with my preconceived notions of adventure gaming, but then the credits rolled by and apparently, that was it.

If you're going to buy something from Ron Gilbert's store, any of the Blackwell games are much better.

Wow. Good to know. I think this has clearly shown there's a market for a retro cyberpunky adventure game... Charles Cecil!

Also: Toblix, what is your avatar photo?

If you're going to buy something from Ron Gilbert's store, any of the Blackwell games are much better.

Hmm. Even the first Blackwell? I have mixed feelings about that game.

Just a minor correction: it's Dave, not Ron Gilbert. Easy mistake to make considering that we're talking about adventure games.

You're thinking of Dave Schafer.

No, no, no! I'm sure he's thinking of Ron Grossman!

Pretty sure you mean Tim Gilbert, dude.

Pretty sure you mean Tim Gilbert, dude.

Didn't he make those Leisure Suit Larry games?

I'm still confused. Should I buy this game or not?

And who's getting the money?

The thing is, I don't have much interest in Medium & Spirit Guide detective agency but could use some sci-fi noir action for the setting alone. Maybe I should wait for the a sale or something.

The thing is, I don't have much interest in Medium & Spirit Guide detective agency but could use some sci-fi noir action for the setting alone. Maybe I should wait for the a sale or something.

It's more about the characters and story than being a Spirit Guide Detective Agency... When I think of Blackwell, I just think about the characters, not the world.

But if you need sci-fi, you need sci-fi.

I started to play and... It just had to reference older adventure games, didn't it? :shifty:

You'll encounter some crates labelled with the initials of some famous adventure series. I don't know why, but it always pisses me off when they do that... It's like they are yelling at us "HEY! WE LIKE THE CLASSICS! LOOK! LOOK! WE ARE REFERENCING THEM! PLEASE LOVE US!":blink:

The worst part is that this is a serious game, breaking the forth wall this way feel so much more awkward and wrong then when a comedy adventure game does it...

EDIT: They do the leather jacket joke a few minutes later... :frusty:

I wouldn't have minded it if they at least waited a little more before hitting me with another reference... this is a serious adventure game, not Family Guy!

EDIT EDIT:

g4sa.png

Seriously?... SERIOUSLY? Cowboy Bebop? And a cameo too?

At least it's a sci-fi reference, but still, breaking the forth wall in a serious game is a no-no! At least be more subtle, dammit!

Edited by Tanukitsune

I started to play and... It just had to reference older adventure games, didn't it? :shifty:

hmm... I didn't see any of this.

The first one is on some labelled boxes that you need help to access, you can't miss it unless you check the right box first, the second is when you have to meet a certain group of thugs, the jacket joke is an optional reply.

The Cowboy Bebop is the only one that's actually hidden, it's on the 4th floor of the "abandoned" building.

EDIT:

I beat the game, it looks that the silliness was only in that part of the game.

And WOW! Did I love the ending part! I can't say why without spoiling it... XP

Edited by Tanukitsune

Still haven't started the game, but it's there waiting for next week when it gets to be played alongside with another run with Portal and the shiny new Portal 2 that might actually get released today. :tup:

Here's something for the topic.

Post-mortem of Gemini Rue at GameCareerGuide by Joshua Nuernberger.

GB QL

I've never been interested in adventure games (pause for shock) but this game has caught my eye, the whole rainy night aesthetic is really appealing to me for some reason. I may play this video game.

So I finally got to play this game thanks to Santa Claus Erkki. I don't know how far I am through it, but I have to say that I LOVE the atmosphere. The graphics and sound come together to create a wonderfully moody world. The game aches to be Bladerunner.

Immediate flaws (and I can't believe nobody else mentioned this): The dialogue is terrible. Dry and uninteresting. No subtly. No wit. Often illogical and forced sounding. The characters all talk the same wooden way, and they all take themselves far too seriously for my tastes.

Still, that's my biggest complaint so far. I'm loving the world and how lovingly crafted it is. The puzzles work for me; The only place I got stuck was not realising that you have break convention and press the RMB to fix your lockpick. Yes, it's not terribly taxing, but that just means I'm enjoying my time in this universe more. The action-y stuff is even surprisingly well done, which is pretty damned impressive for an adventure game. (LucasArts never managed to get it right, if you ask me.)

I just wish Dave Gilbert, master of indie adventure game dialogue, or Ben and Dan (the real life ones) had given the dialogue a once over.

Anyways, back to that cyberpunky world...

Oh no! I just walked through a door and skipped a whole chunk of the game :(

The one in the basement/maintenance room somewhere? Happened to me too.

The one in the basement/maintenance room somewhere? Happened to me too.

Yep, that's the one. My previous save was quite a way before that, and it autosaves as soon as you walk through the door. Oh well. Still enjoying the game, though. Incredible atmosphere!

I just wish masters of indie adventure game dialogue, Ben and Dan (the real life ones), had given the dialogue a once over.

Fixed your typo.