kashwashwa

Gemini Rue

Dave Gilbert is building an interesting little point-and-click publishing stable, isn't he? Which is not a bad thing at all.

It's pretty sweet, though I wish he'd do another Maniac Mansion.

It's pretty good. But I already found a Fallout 3 type of bug/shortcut that lets you skip a big piece of the story.

Didn't yet finish the demo, but one thing was a bit too obvious

if you don't do the phone call bit to find out the guy's room number, if you go checking the doors one by one, the 4E is the only one where Azrael says "I don't go talking to random doors" and in every other door he asks "Anybody there?", I knew immediately that would be the door, have to actually try that can I lockpick the neighbour's door before even talking to the clerk in the lobby.

The game does feel and look amazing. I love the setting and can't wait to find out how the story develops. I'm forking out the cash for this right after I finish the demo. One more game to the evergrowing pile of unplayed games, but this will go right to the top and will be one of the first that I'll play soon.

Does this game have cheap death and dead ends? What I mean is if I can play it without the fear or screwing up?:erm:

Does this game have cheap death and dead ends? What I mean is if I can play it without the fear or screwing up?:erm:

Well, it autosaves before the shooting sections, don't know if you can die elsewhere.

Finished it. Pretty sweet game, although I wish it wasn't quite so old school with the graphics. It definitely makes you think of Blade Runner or Beneath A Steel Sky. I liked the voice acting mostly.

Does it have multiple endings or just one?

I miss this game already. Not that I think it was too short -- it was probably the right length, with not much padding. But the atmosphere was so nice I wish I had something similar to play now

Is it possible to find Blade Runner somewhere digitally? And run it on Windows 7?

You should request Blade Runner in GoG. Maybe they will get it there at some point.

How long was Gemini Rue for you in "gameplay time"?

How long was Gemini Rue for you in "gameplay time"?

Not sure exactly, I guess 5-8 hours.

I love the game so far. I'm intrigued by all the goings-on with Delta Six.

I'm super excited about the game's success. Dave is a cool dude and I'm friends with one of the voice over artists. :)

Congrats, Josh, and good work!

I've only played the first section or so, but this is fantastic. I think the decision to go retro and develop all the graphics, gameplay, etc. in the style of 90s adventure games does a lot to manage my expectations. Since it looks like it's ten years old, nothing about it feels "cheap" or under-budget, even though I might judge it more harshly were I comparing it to other modern games. (This isn't meant as a back-handed compliment - I think this was truly a good stylistic choice.)

Picked it up as well. I'm not very far in the game yet, but so far it feels really solid and polished. Love the atmosphere as well.

I have only played the demo so far. The graphics are truly beautiful (god I love that pixel rain) and the atmosphere feels spot on. I kinda hope the controls weren't so 90s though. Looking at a thing and then interacting with it shouldn't be that cumbersome. How do the action sequences handle?

Just to add a negative counterweight, so far this has been bit of a disappointment for me. Though I love the graphics and mood of the game, the game-play so far has been okay at best, with some weirdly tacked-on mechanics like the keyboard controlled crate sliding thing, way too much time spent walking through corridors and taking elevators up and down, wondering what to do next, and that weird thing where double-clicking repeats the last verb – who has ever wanted this in an adventure game? The combat stuff is okay.

I'm still looking forward to completing the game, seeing if everything comes together in an awesome manner.

and that weird thing where double-clicking repeats the last verb – who has ever wanted this in an adventure game?

Couldn't figure that out myself either. There was a higher level of context sensitivity already in games like Monkey Island 1.

Couldn't figure that out myself either. There was a higher level of context sensitivity already in games like Monkey Island 1.

I thought that feature was standard in some adventure games? Although thinking about it now, I can't actually name any.

Repeating the last verb? Could be.. probably is, but it's still pretty useless, in my opinion. I usually look at an object and then try to interact with it (and then repeat), which means that I rarely get a chance to use that double-click functionality anyway. What is more, there doesn't appear to be any way to tell which "verb" you have selected.

As far as I can remember in old Lucasarts adventures right-click was mostly for looking but changed to open/close for doors, pull/push for levers and buttons and so on. Made a lot more sense to me.

I guess this was pretty good game considering it was mainly done by one guy, but it's weird that this game has gotten so much hype, and sold more than all the other Wadjet eye games combined (I think I remember reading). I kept waiting for it to turn the tables on me and play with my preconceived notions of adventure gaming, but then the credits rolled by and apparently, that was it.

If you're going to buy something from Ron Gilbert's store, any of the Blackwell games are much better.