Chris

The Idle Thumbs Podcast Episode 11: Diplomatic Pouch

Such a rotten bummer, but good luck to you Chris (and Steve and Jake)!

I really liked the new Thumbs cast, it was different but still filled with great stuff. You guys give me my fix of water cooler game discussions every week.

I'll be interested to see where you land when you can talk about it.

Thanks casting so many great pods into my face!

Well, natural language parsers with mics (Molyneux's Milo) could be interesting.

My understanding is that natural language processing progress isn't pretty. Eliza is apparently as good as it gets.

My understanding is that natural language processing progress isn't pretty. Eliza is apparently as good as it gets.

Nah, things are definitely better than the old Rogerian traps of Eliza.

To inverse what we're talking about, look at the natural language programming options for Inform (the premiere text adventure programming langauge) It's insane.

Oh, Idle Thumb guy that works at telltale, I heard you guys employ Baf from Baf's guide to interactive fiction! Rock on!

That would be Jake 'video games' Rodkin.

Oh, and Sean 'Famous' Vanaman.

You mean Sean "Cool Hand Oh Man Jaun Claude Van Danaman Bandaman 'Famous'" Vanaman?

You mean Sean "Cool Hand Oh Man Jaun Claude Van Danaman Bandaman 'Famous'" Vanaman?

Yes. Yes I do.

I've not reached the end yet with the terrible news, but I alredy profusely apologize for this:

pocahontas.jpg

I've not reached the end yet with the terrible news, but I alredy profusely apologize for this:

Pure gold.

Never apologize for creating a thing of beauty.

This week of GamersGate's Summer Sale is all RPGs. Great deals in here............including one game from my new employer http://j.mp/cFRXCy

Some good deals in there, especially for anyone that has never played Freedom Force. Ahem.

Some good deals in there, especially for anyone that has never played Freedom Force. Ahem.

When Chris said he's moving "east" he actually meant Eastern Europe, his new employer is CDProjekt Red.

When Chris said he's moving "east" he actually meant Eastern Europe, his new employer is CDProjekt Red.

That would actually be fucking rad. They have recently become one of my favourite developers.

I thought he moves even eastier (it's a word, really) to 2K Marin (Australia dept.) where he'll be working on the first XCOM DLC: XCOM: Moon

@chrisremo just tweeted:This week of GamersGate's Summer Sale is all RPGs. Great deals in here............including one game from my new employer http://j.mp/cFRXCy

edit: I'm betting it's Focus Home Interactive.

We are all so cute!

Fecklessly guessing and shit. WE CAN NEVER KNOW, SINCE IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO KNOW!

I thought he moves even eastier (it's a word, really) to 2K Marin (Australia dept.) where he'll be working on the first XCOM DLC: XCOM: Moon

2K Marin now refers to a different developer on the east coast...of Atlantis.

They're working on a "sidequel" reboot: XCOM: Terrors In The Deep. It will be a cover-based co-op FPS set in 1956. You will prevent aliens from eating Jacques Cousteau.

@chrisremo just tweeted:This week of GamersGate's Summer Sale is all RPGs. Great deals in here............including one game from my new employer http://j.mp/cFRXCy

edit: I'm betting it's Focus Home Interactive.

I see Irrational, which is east. So I wasn't far off with 2K Marin Australia (formerly part of Irrational).

I was all set to say it was Runic Games, but they aren't on the east coast. Still it makes the most sense considering Chris' experience with Diablo and Torchlight and his glowing opinions of them.

I'm turning Chris's announcement into an ARG. Or maybe he already did, by making that tweet and I'm just picking up the thrown gauntlet. If we take his word to be precise, there is only one game by the developer he's going to work with (I'm assuming it's developer and not publisher). Thus we can rule out any developer that has multiple games in the sale. We can also rule out any west coast developers.

Based on this it could be Freedom Force vs The Third Reich developer, Irrational Games. Bioware does have the Montreal Office, but there are several Bioware games in the sale. Ion Storm is in Texas, which I think counts as central. It could be Iron Lore, also in MA, but there are two (three) Titan Quest games on the list. [sarcasm]He could also be working for Backyard Ninja, the creators of The Great White Destroyer, although I couldn't figure out where they are located.[/sarcasm] Demiurge Studios (Who did the ME PC port) was also an option until I realized they also worked on Titan Quest

Anyway, I'll stop being a huge dork to say that if you are going to work at Irrational Games Chris, you have to convince them to give the SWAT series some love. The world needs SWAT 5 something fierce. Wait, I didn't stop being a huge dork at all.

Anyway, I'll stop being a huge dork to say that if you are going to work at Irrational Games Chris, you have to convince them to give the SWAT series some love. The world needs SWAT 5 something fierce. Wait, I didn't stop being a huge dork at all.

Don't you mean SWAT Four Ford Force Forge

Now we know the who and where, all that is left is the what.

I think his job will be writing catchy songs.