Chris

The Idle Thumbs Podcast Episode 11: Diplomatic Pouch

Although I'm guessing Chris is off to work for another company that doesn't directly make games (pulled out of my ass, but based on my impression of him as a news article editoral opinion writing guy), it would be awesome if he started working somewhere where he could make a game not have any of the shit he's so fucking tired of in games, like Chris Remo's Ass3ssin's Creed – a reboot of the popular franchise with only one little town packed to the moats with exciting systemic content that makes awesome anecdotes emerge.

Finished listening this morning while cleaning the theater. Congrats, and a hearty fuck you, to Chris. After being here for 5 years, it was so great to see loads of new content on Idle Thumbs again. Now it will once again fall silent, and to me that is the worst thing about this. We need the UK contingent to pick up the slack or something.

Wow, Jake custom ordered a PS pic for this episode, I guess I'll get on it in between the SCII. (Fuck Chris.)

After listening to the various iterations of the podcast for over a year, I was finally moved to register here and say GOD DAMN IT! I was so stoked to see that new episode, and now this? Fuckin' Chris!

Seriously, congratulations, Chris, it couldn't happen to a more deserving guy. I hope that this new chapter in your career is an unmitigated success. Thanks for all the great pods casted in my face.

Also, fuck you!

Heyyy, aren't you the guy that makes the awesome GWJ music?

Heyyy, aren't you the guy that makes the awesome GWJ music?

I am that guy, and thanks for the compliment. :)

Funny, last night I got home at 4am after celebrating with friends (I just got my first design job in the industry up here in montreal*])... before heading to bed I tried to drunkenly make my way through a League of Legends game (we won, somehow..). Itunes popped up with a new thumbs cast so I loaded it up and went to bed, I fell asleep within the first 10 minutes or so, nintendo DS in hand - dragon quest 9 running (that game will put you to sleep for sure)...

I woke up about 1hour and 40 minutes later during the bad news section of the cast, my brain's 'urgency' chamber had had it's bell rung - as if the room were on fire or a great weight had been placed on my chest...

BOO!

also:

CONGRATS!!

Chris, you've been on GWJ podcast before, they do fine with skype video conference calls... I think you guys should try it out!

BOOORATS!

*Montreal's on the east coast, maybe Chris got a job at Eidos montreal to work on the Deus Ex 3quel's sequel (D4us 4x)

AAaaaah! Ahh. I thought it was a joke at Nick's expense... but I guess not. :(

Congrats Chris, the East welcomes you as well.

If Chris' new job is at Harmonix, that's really close to the apartment I lived in when I was still in Boston. It's smack in the middle of Central, lots of places to eat and stuff. Basically on top of the T station..

Also, even if it's not to cast, you guys should consider using Vent (or Skype I guess, I've had bad luck with it though) just to keep in touch. Once you get used to basically being on a phone call with 3-10 people it makes for a nice way of chatting to long distance friends.

Grats Chris, fuck Chris. This is the worst thing since Old Man Murray died. You better make a video game as good as Portal and Left 4 Dead combined. Just know that you'll never eclipse the glory of your past. Hope you back up into SLJ's severed arm real soon.

I would totally listen to a Telltale Podcast with Jake, Sean, and Princess Meatflaps.

Or whoever else if she doesn't want to.

I'd prefer if you didn't call me Princess Meatflaps in the future, also I don't work at Telltale.

Congratulations Chris! And naturally, fuck you Chris.

I am of course saddened by this, but Idle Thumbs always seems to rise out of the ashes like a phoenix, so we shall see! We can always hope :tup:

I'm on the East Coast near Epic Games, and it's not too bad. Probably not as awesome as California, but we make do with our boring historical colonial parks and late summer hurricanes. :hmph:

Congratulations Chris! And naturally, fuck you Chris.

I am of course saddened by this, but Idle Thumbs always seems to rise out of the ashes like a phoenix, so we shall see! We can always hope :tup:

I'm on the East Coast near Epic Games, and it's not too bad. Probably not as awesome as California, but we make do with our boring historical colonial parks and late summer hurricanes. :hmph:

Confirmed: Chris 'Boost' Remo is heading up Gears of War 3.

Confirmed: Chris 'Boost' Remo is heading up Gears of War 3.

GoW3: Open-world immersion game. On the moon.

Confirmed: Chris 'Boost' Remo is heading up Gears of War FAR CRY 3.

Montreal is still considered East coast, right?

Montreal is still considered East coast, right?

Not really on any coast and, jesus, I hope Chris has more sense then to go to Montreal from Frisco. Also, I would have assumed they would have said Canada rather then east coast, but hard to say.

Frankly, Chris Remo is too good for anything in Montreal, except for maybe the baked goods.

Not really on any coast and, jesus, I hope Chris has more sense then to go to Montreal from Frisco. Also, I would have assumed they would have said Canada rather then east coast, but hard to say.

Frankly, Chris Remo is too good for anything in Montreal, except for maybe the baked goods.

Eh, people play fast and loose with the coast shorthand. It seems that anything in PST can be considered West Coast and anything in EST can be considered East Coast.

And c'mon, Montreal isn't so bad. I just visited a little while ago and almost everyone I met there was pretty nice. I also went to this sweet market downtown that had some amazing gelato and produce.

Then again, my impression of Montreal might just be so bright because Americans are generally such assholes.

Eh, people play fast and loose with the coast shorthand. It seems that anything in PST can be considered West Coast and anything in EST can be considered East Coast.

And c'mon, Montreal isn't so bad. I just visited a little while ago and almost everyone I met there was pretty nice. I also went to this sweet market downtown that had some amazing gelato and produce.

Then again, my impression of Montreal might just be so bright because Americans are generally such assholes.

It's not a bad city, it's just not a great one and I don't think the industry there is all that gre..... wait a minute.

Ok I was about to say how the industry in Montreal isn't all that great(at least for Chris Remo) but then I remembered how Ubisoft was leaking some top people like a siv and how one Clint "Hock and Sock" Hockings was among them and whispers of a new company starting up.

That is completely based on coincidence and imagination, but that would be worthy/make sense for Remo.

It's not a bad city, it's just not a great one and I don't think the industry there is all that gre..... wait a minute.

Ok I was about to say how the industry in Montreal isn't all that great(at least for Chris Remo) but then I remembered how Ubisoft was leaking some top people like a siv and how one Clint "Hock and Sock" Hockings was among them and whispers of a new company starting up.

That is completely based on coincidence and imagination, but that would be worthy/make sense for Remo.

hah, that would be amazing.

I gotta disagree with you, Montreal is one of the best cities in North America. Sure SF is better, New York and maybe a couple others, but it's one of the best... "not a great one"... psssh. Also yes, rumoured super company plans are floating out there... though Funcom, THQ are starting up soon and the Bioware satellite studio in Montreal is ramping up for a new project (allegedly).

Also: baked goods?

I'm thinking it's irrational though, they have a precedent of bringing in journalists for design positions (Shawn Elliott).

I gotta disagree with you, Montreal is one of the best cities in North America. Sure SF is better, New York and maybe a couple others, but it's one of the best... "not a great one"... psssh. Also yes, rumoured super company plans are floating out there... though Funcom, THQ are starting up soon and the Bioware satellite studio in Montreal is ramping up for a new project (allegedly).

Also: baked goods?

I'm thinking it's irrational though, they have a precedent of bringing in journalists for design positions (Shawn Elliott).

I agree on all points. Montreal is a great city, it also has a strong development environment, possibly only surpassed by Vancouver, Austin and the Bay Area in North America. And as for it being on the coast, it's actually on an island in the Saint Laurence, so I don't see how you could say it's not "east coast". I've never heard anyone object to anything east of Chicago being called east coast before.

I gotta disagree with you, Montreal is one of the best cities in North America. Sure SF is better, New York and maybe a couple others, but it's one of the best... "not a great one"... psssh. .

I'm just giving you an account of my experience living there, I obviously had a bad time since I just moved. I'm sure there are a ton of examples of why it's great and why it isn't.

But from a westcoast perspective such as mine, living there was the pits. And yeah, sorry to say, I'd completely disagree about being one of the best cities in North America, even Canada... but I'm not here to start a culture, locational fight.

Montreal has some of the best baked goods in North America, which is it's saving grace in my eyes. Oh and very attractive women, I love long hair, flowing dresses and tallness, so it was pretty awesome.

Also, when I speak of the industry not being all the great in Montreal, I didn't mean the fact that it doesn't have a lot going on, in fact it does, a lot more then Vancouver. The average game quality out of Montreal is higher then anything from Vancouver, it's just I dont think the companies, games, or corporate culture in Montreal games industry is as good as other places and I don't think it's worthy of Chris Remos time.

It wasn't worth mine, and I rank myself a lot lower on the food chain than Remo, so :fart:

Wow, three casts in two weeks! Glad to see the podcast is becoming regular again!

Exactly what I was thinking at the beginning of the podcast!

Oh well, since the updates have been less than regular, Chris' exodus is less shocking than Nick's.

Hope you got a job in marketing Chris, because I have bought a load of stuff based on your opinion.