Chris

The Idle Thumbs Podcast Episode 11: Diplomatic Pouch

Hey thumbs, great cast! The Idle Thumbs Podcast and the Giant Bombcast have become the only two podcast I really listen to anymore and while I'm sad to see this one go, congratulations Chris! Also fuck you!

Anyway I have really enjoyed listening to you guys and while I might not be a super old member of the thumb forums I have listened to all the casts, and I can say that they hold up well even if it is outdated news. They will always be downloaded on my computer because I'm sure I will re-listen to them sometime if I ever get sucked back into an MMORPG or Day of Defeat (the game I listened to them all the first time around).

Where ever you end up Chris good luck and I hope you somehow sneak some sweet game related songs into a video game!

Wait, if I remix this episode, then there won't be any more, and the remixes would be over! It would be terrible!

Unless...

I have an idea.

I dunno, I don't think the show could exist in its present format without Chris. After he left the Shacklnews, Shackcast tried to do one and it didn't work at all for me.

While I love Jake and Vanaman, they need that straight man moderator type that Chris offers, also his discussion points are my personal favorite.

I don't either, I really was joking.

...Though "An Idle Thumbcast" has a certain ring to it, heh.

XhI0OVs_zj0

Chris is the on the left, being admonished, and the Idle Thumbs community as a whole is on the right.

I don't either, I really was joking.

...Though "An Idle Thumbcast" has a certain ring to it, heh.

Oh yeah I love the name if it ever comes back for anything it's a must.

Maybe Chris will find some cool people on the east coast(ha, yeah right) to do a cast with?

Also if Jake and Vanaman wanted to do one under a different name, I would certainly listen, but Im not sure between not playing video games and playing snoopies flying ace it would be a very good "game" cast. I'd just listen to it for the soothing voices, odd jokes, and random noises.

Skype is garbage for a cast like ours. We already talk over each other all the time. The skype delay destroys all sense of flow. Skype is fine for a Q&A style cast but ours is not that.
I wouldn't be so sure. Joystiq's podcast is done via skype with a South African and 2 guys on the east coast. They don't really edit the show, and you hear pretty much everything that could go wrong (people talking over each other, dropped calls, robot voice), and honestly it doesn't matter. Charisma and chemistry can trump those drawbacks, and when you really own the fuckups it can actually be funny.

I don't think you guys should be doing something you don't want to do, but I've heard so many great voip based podcasts that I don't believe it can't be done well. It may not be exactly the same, but I'm sure it would be good. The games press is turning over staff faster than McDonalds, it's nice to have a podcast with people that actually know what goes into making a game rather than just regurgitating PR and whatever's bouncing around the GAF echo chamber. Even if you had an episode that had zero laughs, it would still be the best video game podcast I listen to.

It's not just the baboos, though bring back Nick Breckon anyways.

I'm pretty sure that, following the sitcom spin-off/rebranding naming convention, the third incarnation will be called simply "Thumbs."

Fixed.

Congrats, Chris.

I haven't actually listened to this cast yet (I save 'em for when I'm at work), but I got spoiled as to the good/bad news by @hitselfselfdestruct

On the same day a family member and my favorite podcast die. FUCK YOU CHRIS! Also, i'll always remember the heady days of Thumbs, I have many memories of listening to Thumbs and i'll never forget the hilarity. Please release as many Thumbs as possible and any possible spin offs would be bad ass, Chris or no Chris. (Sorry Chris, but FUCK YOU!)

Maybe Jake will arrange a spin-off of some sort, though he (and Steve) didn't seem particularly interested in doing a podcast now that Chris is also leaving.

I'm hoping that you'll just take a break for a couple months and come back with Idle Thumbs season three, featuring Jake Rodkin, Steve Gaynor and Sean Vanaman.

Aww, chucks. I just started listening to Idle Thumbs recently and already its over? ;(

Oh well, good luck and f-y Chris. ;)

But really, thanks for the episodes the Thumbs-crew have put together so far, its one of the more enjoyable conversation-style game podcasts I know.

I kind of wish this episode was titled "Bogost in the Shell".

Good luck, Chris Remo, and god speed. I'll be looking forward to what you'll be doing wherever you're going to do it, and also of course to Idle Thumbs XI-3.

Good luck and fuck you Remo!

You guys always seem to kill the cast when nowhere near a computer to hear the news in a timely 'cast related manner. I've yet to actually listen to the 'cast so I'm just getting the hurt out now so the sadness can set in later.

But seriously, fuck Chris.

Congratulations, Chris!

attachment.php?attachmentid=547&stc=1&d=1280631754

HA!

I heard this song. Once. I was in a drawing class in college. The model had brought her own radio and played some public station. I remember turning to a class mate after the song finished and asking, "What the F%#$ was that?!"

He shrugged and I never heard nor thought of that song again. Until one day...

...goddammit Chris.

Congratulations, I'm eager to find out where you're headed. But damn, it really feels like discovering someone has a terminal illness... again.

Buying SimCity for iPhone now based on your double-digit score recommendation.

I don't really want to listen to this episode, because I would have to hear the sorry news delivered directly to my ears.

I don't think I could handle that. ;(

This is one pod I don't want cast into my ear.

Well this is no good. Congratulations Chris.

And forget all that rhyming nonsense, the East Coast is the Best Coast.

Also, Fuck You. :sad:

Well this is no good. Congratulations Chris.

And forget all that rhyming nonsense, the East Coast is the Best Coast.

Also, Fuck You. :sad:

East Coast is the BEAST Coast.

Anyways, really awesome 'cast. I was very happy to hear the comment on CastMedium mentioned on the show; you made it so I didn't have to rant on my own site about the differences between talking about experiencing games versus reviewing games.

I'm pretty sure that, following the sitcom spin-off/rebranding naming convention, a theoretical third incarnation would be called simply "Thumbs." And would probably be written in the Night Court logo font.

night%20court.jpg

My feelings echo Steves on this matter.

Also, hahahaha "Bogost in the Shell." now I'm sad.

After listening to the various iterations of the podcast for over a year, I was finally moved to register here and say GOD DAMN IT! I was so stoked to see that new episode, and now this? Fuckin' Chris!

Seriously, congratulations, Chris, it couldn't happen to a more deserving guy. I hope that this new chapter in your career is an unmitigated success. Thanks for all the great pods casted in my face.

Also, fuck you!