Chris

The Idle Thumbs Podcast Episode 11: Diplomatic Pouch

Wow, three casts in two weeks! Glad to see the podcast is becoming regular again!

:tup::)

2 weeks is oddly in time for the reveal of irrational games new game announcement. Which may be around the time they'd want a new community manager type personality.

You guys should seriously consider doing the 'cast via voip, I know quite a few use Skype. Bring Nick Breckon back into the fold.

2 weeks is oddly in time for the reveal of irrational games new game announcement. Which may be around the time they'd want a new community manager type personality.

You guys should seriously consider doing the 'cast via voip, I know quite a few use Skype. Bring Nick Breckon back into the fold.

I'd be thoroughly disappointed if Chris was going just for community manager, no offense Chris, but your way too smart for that work and I hope it's more on the design/creative side because the industry needs someone like you adding your sensibilities into actual games.

Wow, three casts in two weeks! Glad to see the podcast is becoming regular again!

:yep:

Seriously, just give it a shot and let us readers judge about the quality. If it does suck, we will say so. :yep:

Re: cyborgs: I think Deus Ex did a really good job with cyborgs, from the line about "it's not about people, but productivity, efficiency" to the stuff about social status and the resentment of mech-augs towards nano-augs because the nanos haven't given up their bodies for the cause, etc.

I found the Sam Jackson with a sword arm discussion really funny because you know that's exactly the kind of thing he would do today, whereas in the Jurassic Park era he was still playing mostly regular people.

Good luck Chris. I'll miss your Gamasutra stuff too.

Thanks guys. Sorry guys. ;(

Proceeds to give Chris the obligatory bro fist bump (or high five which ever he prefers), whilst simultaneously kicking him in the balls.

Proceeds to give Chris the obligatory bro fist bump (or high five which ever he prefers), whilst simultaneously kicking him in the balls.

Remember he's American, so it's basically the Top Gun high five. Over head, then slap his ass.

Then kick him in the balls.

Way to go "Fuck" Chris Remo. :(

A man... in a corrupt city... must seek out friends in a sea of enemies. Can he overcome the odds, and cast a Pod? This summer: THUMBS BEGINS (2010).

Idle Thumbs East. Take it to the bank.

Congrats Chris.

This will sound little harsh but I actually see no reason not to do skype based podcast. I know the argument that it would take the original atmosfer out of it, but from my perspective it lost the original spirit around episode 1 of the new ones(that doesn't mean they aren't good, just not superb as those with Nick were). But on the other hand, we should probably all stop being beaches about someone not doing something for free in his spare time.

Skype is garbage for a cast like ours. We already talk over each other all the time. The skype delay destroys all sense of flow. Skype is fine for a Q&A style cast but ours is not that.

Whoa there's a "more" button under the smilies...

:tfart:

:spiraldy:

:scary::molyneuxsmall:

congratulation Chris, best of luck on your new job, the east coast really isn't that bad.as an east coaster myself,once you can say where you are going i can point you towards some cool stuff in your area.

i think we should start some kind of pool to guess where Chris is going, i will toss in my guess and say Firaxis.

"In 2012 the world will not end, it will begin with Sid Meir's, Chris Remo's Alpha Centauri II featuring sweet space ramps"

The only thing that I now actually get from the podcast are the opinions(which are superb), but the fun factor is some how missing without Nick(the Zerg patent was the only time I lought lisening to the podcast in a long while) and it's probably just me personaly, but the felling I get from the new episodes is somehow familiar to, this will sound stupid, the new kid, who tries to get close to the certain group so he tries to act like they *Shaun*.

Wow, this sounds 500% more offensi that I want it to.[Panic] Ammmm, amm,amm....[pees]

Rumor is Chris is heading off to team up with Dan Houser and write the script for the next GTA, 5TA, which is taking place in Hollywood.

Well, Congratulations Chris, and of course FUCK YOU. I can't wait to learn where you end up.

Skype is garbage for a cast like ours. We already talk over each other all the time. The skype delay destroys all sense of flow. Skype is fine for a Q&A style cast but ours is not that.

Use Mumble then. Best sound quality and latency of all Voip programs. Almost everyone who play TF2 competitively use it and it's starting to take over the CS:S and Quake Live scenes.

Use Mumble then. Best sound quality and latency of all Voip programs. Almost everyone who play TF2 competitively use it and it's starting to take over the CS:S and Quake Live scenes.

No, I agree with the Thumbs. The times that are best about the cast is when it's fastpaced as funny-- that stuff is just so much harder to do over the internet.

I just hope that they agree to do periodical episodes throughout the year - PAX, E3, GDC - every convention, I expect a cast ;P

Sorry, what I mean to say is that not all being in the same room is a dealbreaker, for me anyway. We may occasionally all be in the same room at various points in the future.

Sorry, what I mean to say is that not all being in the same room is a dealbreaker, for me anyway. We may occasionally all be in the same room at various points in the future.

So... what you're saying is that it's really all your fault, and you're a convenient scapegoat? FUCK YOU, STEVE! I HATE YOU! I'M GONNA GO LIVE WITH MOM!

Will miss the cast, and likely will get "phantom thumb" syndrome haunting my game playing once again... (The effect where you imagine the hilarious crap they'd be saying in response to things happening around you.)

Anyway, begin the guessing!

I'm guessing that Chris is either going to Irrational, Firaxis, or Harmonix- Hopefully to do something audio or design related. Or who knows, maybe Nick gave him an in at Bethesda!

And a remote skypecast wouldn't work for reasons beyond individual members not being as into it- The timing and energy of the 'cast is sort of dependent on them all being in the same room. It's one of the things that set it apart from a lot of other gaming podcasts that I don't enjoy quite as much.

That being said, I'd certainly listen to a skype-created offering, I just know it wouldn't feel the same for them and that would translate through, making it not the same for me either.

Hey, Vanaman! Become a sound wizard and start "The New Idle Thumbs Podcast" with Jake and Steve!

Hey, Vanaman! Become a sound wizard and start "The New Idle Thumbs Podcast" with Jake and Steve!

I'm pretty sure that, following the sitcom spin-off/rebranding naming convention, a theoretical third incarnation would be called simply "Thumbs." And would probably be written in the Night Court logo font.

night%20court.jpg

Congratulations and good luck Chris! Look forward to the remaining few episodes. Hmm. Sounds like you might be heading to my neck of the woods. I'll not speculate any further on that.

The new cast, Jake, should be called "An Idle Thumbcast".

I dunno, I don't think the show could exist in its present format without Chris. After he left the Shacklnews, Shackcast tried to do one and it didn't work at all for me.

While I love Jake and Vanaman, they need that straight man moderator type that Chris offers, also his discussion points are my personal favorite.

Long-time lurker, first-time poster, just to say that I've never had a youtube clip better express my feelings than right now:

(Just, uh, replace "Saruman" with "Chris Remo" I guess.)