Sign in to follow this  
Armchair General

Worms reloaded

It's getting absolutely battered on the Steam forums. The main point of contention seems to be the ninja rope behaviour

I think the interface needs a major overhaul. You can't navigate with the keyboard and you have to leave the lobby to edit or create schemes (I don't know this for sure because I can't make private lobbies)

I think something is missing from the game, cause you more or less end up using the jetpack and dynamite/mines 90% of the time. I think the reason is that the maps are too small and you don't get the choice between attacking and digging in or preparing long term strategies.

Team17 have a representative on the Steam forums and I assume they'll patch this game drastically over the next few months.

Yeah, it's quite unpolished, and I'm betting the first things to change are the addition of a checkbox to disable voice chat completely, and the insane network delays – the network code guy(s) must be hard at work trying to figure out how they can transmit live, smooth mouse movement, but need a whole second to prepare the next player's turn.

Oh, on the last round we played I also had a weird problem. For some reason the game thought I was following some crazy object way down in the sea on the right side of the level. There was this bouncing arrow pointing in that direction, and always, as soon as someone (even myself) fired a weapon, the camera would zoom all the way off to the side, forcing me to manually scroll back. It made post-attack movement practically impossible which is why I lost.

I hope they do patch. I really hope they do. Overhaul the clunky text chat system as well. It doesn't really encourage fun conversation. ALSO, developers, don't put your fucking text chat button on on the ~`-key.

I hope they do patch. I really hope they do. Overhaul the clunky text chat system as well. It doesn't really encourage fun conversation. ALSO, developers, don't put your fucking text chat button on on the ~`-key.

Isn't that where it was for Armageddon? I forget.

I got the sound working by updating directx, I hope that can help someone

It did, thanks!

and the insane network delays – the network code guy(s) must be hard at work trying to figure out how they can transmit live, smooth mouse movement, but need a whole second to prepare the next player's turn.

Worms HD had the exact same problem on XBLA, so my guess is that they won't be fixing that.

Text chat is, like everyone else have already pointed out, pretty bad. I hope they would patch it, so you could at least see new messages on the bottom of the screen. That being said, I had a blast playing multiplayer.

I think whether or not the game updates DirectX is up to the setup code of each particular game. For example, some Steam games install PhysX drivers.

So Worms skips the DirectX portion of the install completely and just assumes the player has it (a fair assumption) and it's the right version (evidently less so)?

Just played a couple of rounds with Poo and Pocket, and this game really shines when a carefully thought-out plan just goes to shit because of a mistaken key press, or not knowing how a weapon works. Sometimes the horrible lag they have between the player seeing what happens and the others seeing it makes for funny stuff, but I still think they should fix it.

All-in-all it's a really rough game at the moment. I have the impression they'll be patching it pretty much non-stop, though, so hopefully it'll be even better in a couple of months.

The huge cartooney "look at this from 10 feet away on your couch" console-port UI, the inability to move or chat while it's lagging between turns (an issue WA worked around), the removal of the ability to have a token special starting item [subset: the removal of cows!], the removal of small jump/backwards hop, the removal of number of living worms per team in the HUD, removal of girder positioning/scaling etc, all really blow. Fortunately it's still a 2D worms game and therefore really fun.

I've only played a few rounds, and, even with what seem to be a lot of omissions and questionable creative choices, I have witnessed comedy roping disasters, accidental suicides, and plans gone awry which have made me laugh out loud alone in my apartment, so it's still got it.

But mostly it makes me want to just reinstall Worms Armageddon.

Side note: I really wish the game allowed jumping in to already-formed lobbies that are between rounds.

the removal of small jump/backwards hop, removal of girder positioning/scaling

Small jump backwards: Hit jump key (Enter) twice

Rotating girders: jump key (Enter)

Scaling the girders is indeed not possible anymore.

And I agree with the other points mentioned. This game is watered down from Armageddon. Hell, I even like World Party better.

The huge cartooney "look at this from 10 feet away on your couch" console-port UI, the inability to move or chat while it's lagging between turns (an issue WA worked around), the removal of the ability to have a token special starting item [subset: the removal of cows!], the removal of small jump/backwards hop, the removal of number of living worms per team in the HUD, removal of girder positioning/scaling etc, all really blow. Fortunately it's still a 2D worms game and therefore really fun.

I've only played a few rounds, and, even with what seem to be a lot of omissions and questionable creative choices, I have witnessed comedy roping disasters, accidental suicides, and plans gone awry which have made me laugh out loud alone in my apartment, so it's still got it.

But mostly it makes me want to just reinstall Worms Armageddon.

Side note: I really wish the game allowed jumping in to already-formed lobbies that are between rounds.

I tell you what, I'd really hate to be a UI designer. Seeing how shitty some UIs are must really hurt occasionally. "I COULD'VE DONE SO MUCH BETTER /wrists."

I tell you what, I'd really hate to be a UI designer. Seeing how shitty some UIs are must really hurt occasionally. "I COULD'VE DONE SO MUCH BETTER /wrists."

In the case of Worms Reloaded, though, it's obvious they spent as little time as possible on the UI, even to UI laymen.

After playing WR since launch, I've been wondering how Team17's track record is for patching up their Worms games, since this one obviously needs a little more work. I've only ever owned the console versions of various Worms titles, so do you think the PC will get a little extra after-launch love?

EDIT: All that said I'm still having a lot of fun playing this video game. :tup:

Edited by Starman Deluxe

Well, seeing as they've already patched it once, I'm at least hopeful they'll be releasing updates rather frequently.

I really want this game patched. I have it installed and bought, but every time I try to start it it crashes to desktop at the Team 17 logo. And yeah, DirectX is up to date.

I really want this game patched. I have it installed and bought, but every time I try to start it it crashes to desktop at the Team 17 logo. And yeah, DirectX is up to date.

Verified the game cache?

Have you tried uninstalling the game, uninstalling Steam, deleting the Program Files folder, formatting the drive, reinstalling Windows, swapping the hard disk, swapping the motherboard, graphics card, cpu and ram and replacing everything, registering a new Steam account, changing your name, changing your gender or moving to a different country?

Small jump backwards: Hit jump key (Enter) twice

Rotating girders: jump key (Enter)

I thought that just did the backflip?

Just did a couple of rounds with Doc and Illeria, and discovered two new weapons. One was a flamethrower we unfortunately didn't get to see in action, and the other was a special weapon where your worm appears to fall from a crane and die, but in reality he's alive – with 26 health!

Yeah, damn Cory and his stealth interwebs glitchin' worm. I say we ban him for like....6 months to teach him a lesson. I bear no grudge for him killing me with said stealth interweb glitch worm. Obviously.

Good games though :tup::grin::tup:

I'm playing with an xbox controller which is pretty okay for this game, but it's annoying that you have to use your mouse to navigate through the main menu (i hate switching between mouse & controller during a game). Anyway, haven't been able to play a multiplayer match without being dropped out with extreme lag. I guess I'll just enjoy the campaign until it's sorted out.