Asembo

Minecraft

It'll have a LOT of new stuff, so I'm sure you're good.

2 hours ago, neonrev said:

Oh, timing. Yes there is at least a deep burning desire for a modded server in me at least.

So we've been thinking about and half-planning to reboot the IdleMC server as a modded minecraft server for a couple months now, and there seems to at least a little interest in it now. Evilskillet just took down the old server and archived it and last we talked would be very much down with hosting a modded IdleMC.

There's a number of different mod set-ups I think people would like. Skyblock can work multiplayer, but it's not ideal. There are modpacks like Regrowth and Crash Landing that replicate a lot of the slow build-up of sky block packs with having a generated world and more hostile enemies. There are much more guided modpacks with quest books and rewards and instructions that help people learn mods which I think could be neat for the community, and there are my favorite modpacks, the fuck-it kitchen sink packs that just include everything that fits.

Depending on people's computers and interests, there are a ton of options for running a community modded minecraft server and we've talked about it enough that it should happen. I'll post in the slack and the other forum and everyone should talk about it. I've always wanted to play that way.

Skyfactory is the thing I'm currently into but yeah I agree it's not ideal for multi.  Maybe once you've expanded the world out enough it would be doable but resource management among several people who are probably not playing at the same time would be tricky without some major coordination.  I'm certainly willing to try out other cool stuff.

On 18.7.2017 at 6:07 PM, SecretAsianMan said:

Following up on my last post, I realized that jetpacks were a thing and crafted my way up to the top tier one.  After properly arming myself I returned to the Nether and wreaked a terrible vengeance upon the denizens there and retrieved all my gear (dying in Sky Factory places all your carried items into a tombstone where you died that you can break open to reclaim everything).  It was amazing and awesome and I'm super tempted to rent a server for it.

It's been a while since the last Thumbs Minecraft server ran.  Is there any interest in doing so again with something like this?

Jetpacks are thing I never thought I'd be able to figure out given how many different things you need to set up before you can make them, but they are so satisfying.

I also sort of expected the Nether to be just as empty as the main world, but I guess that wouldn't work well. Maybe if it had just the Fortresses.

2 minutes ago, Deadpan said:

Jetpacks are thing I never thought I'd be able to figure out given how many different things you need to set up before you can make them, but they are so satisfying.

I also sort of expected the Nether to be just as empty as the main world, but I guess that wouldn't work well. Maybe if it had just the Fortresses.

That's actually exactly how the Nether works.  It's a void just like the main world except for bits of fortress.  That's why I was so intent on crafting a good (armored) jetpack before returning.  I just hovered above all the enemies sniping with my steel bow until I had cleared the area enough that I could safely retrieve my goodies.  A high level backpack with automatic restocking is also a necessity.

I know in the past I've expressed hesitance about modded servers but that's because I'm an idiot.

How reasonable would it be to request a mod/modpack that makes us worth together to fend off the hordes of enemies? As opposed to all of us going off on our own and building whatever. I think maybe I'd be more into playing a version of Minecraft that doesn't focus on the creative aspect, 'cause I think I'm just... tired of building things. :P

12 minutes ago, Twig said:

I know in the past I've expressed hesitance about modded servers but that's because I'm an idiot.

How reasonable would it be to request a mod/modpack that makes us worth together to fend off the hordes of enemies? As opposed to all of us going off on our own and building whatever. I think maybe I'd be more into playing a version of Minecraft that doesn't focus on the creative aspect, 'cause I think I'm just... tired of building things. :P

That's a pretty common element to almost all mod packs actually, increasing the difficulty of mobs and the general danger of the world, and then giving you a series of tools to unlock and develop to combat that threat. There are a lot of modpacks that basically try and give jaded minecraft players the feeling of danger and discovery that vanilla gives you at first, before you figure it all out and end up building things to look cool and burning out.

This is generally much less of a thing in skyblock modpacks, since you're the one creating the spawning surfaces and presumably are making it safe as you go.

When we had the vanilla server up and everyone built all the community farms and stuff in like a single day or two, it made me a little sad because it would be so much cooler to have a community power plant or community ore processing center, or to just have a reason to group together more for longer, or to have longer term goals. I'm also pretty sick of just creative building for it's own sake.

My specific pitch to you @Twig is that most modpacks focus more on the production and practical side, where you're spending more time on your resources and making more efficient ways to use them, and that can be either machines or magic or combat or exploration. There is really a modpack for any desire.

Haha that sounds perfect. I'll definitely check it out.

...I hope I don't burn out on that too quick!

I would be cool with that.  Again, I think the difficulty would be in coordination.  Ideally it would need to be something that would be better with multiple people but not require a lot of them at once.  Personally I find the combat part of Minecraft to be completely uninteresting but if I could assume a role of weaponsmith/base builder I would gladly play the gadget guy.  Actually that sounds kind of awesome.

Regrowth (which is easily downloaded and run through Curse) is a modpack I recommend pretty heavily, it's a magic and agriculture focused modpack where you grow all your resources with magical crops and slowly rebuild a destroyed world overrun with mobs. Either of the Project Ozone modpacks also sound very much up your alley, and all of these have quest books that help guide you through basic progression in the new mods in addition to NEI which can show you the recipe for any item so you aren't looking everything up on a wiki and flailing about wildly.

2 minutes ago, SecretAsianMan said:

I would be cool with that.  Again, I think the difficulty would be in coordination.  Ideally it would need to be something that would be better with multiple people but not require a lot of them at once.  Personally I find the combat part of Minecraft to be completely uninteresting but if I could assume a role of weaponsmith/base builder I would gladly play the gadget guy.  Actually that sounds kind of awesome.

Me too! 

Although cool magic spells would make me more into combat. I wanna freeze the ground so enemies slide all over the place. Building golems was also something I like in vanilla.

1 minute ago, SecretAsianMan said:

It is difficult to coordinate, and you kind of need a critical mass of players to keep the ball rolling, but I think we'd figure out how to make even asynchronous multiplayer pretty fun. If you can combine resources when you need you can get to the later, cooler stuff faster.

That kind of specialization is one of the things I thing could be coolest about a multiplayer server. I also am not terribly into the combat, but I am into the mining/ore processing/machine side of things. At a certain point I usually get frustrated because now I have to go out and do a bunch of fighting I don't want to to get some resource, and it'd be cool to have help with that from someone who enjoys it.

Also there are a lot of modpacks with a mod called Ars Magica, which I think is exactly what you want. It also has an RPG system for leveling up your magics. 

I'm also into the idea of building up automated defenses, like turrets or spike traps that maybe you need to reset manually, or pits with cloth over the hole...

I'm just gonna keep listing things I think would be cool apparently!

Might I suggest Craft of the Titans, a modpack I didn't get into because it was so combat heavy but which includes a heavy focus on exactly that. 

Haha well I wouldn't play singleplayer I'm just tossing out general desires for whatever server might happen.

I'd take a look at some of these modpacks but our office internet today is super spotty and i can't load a bunch of random websites. Including Google...

16 hours ago, neonrev said:

Also there are a lot of modpacks with a mod called Ars Magica, which I think is exactly what you want. It also has an RPG system for leveling up your magics. 

I've heard of that mod before but I've never experimented with it.  I'd be much more interested in crafting weaponry and gear for other people than for my own use though.  Basically I want to be Q from James Bond.

Having said that, we end up with more armorers than adventurers I'd still gladly do that.  I like team stuff so much that I'm willing to play pretty much any role even if it's not my preferred one.

Also I agree with most of what Twig is saying, especially the tower defense stuff.

On 19.7.2017 at 9:21 PM, SecretAsianMan said:

That's actually exactly how the Nether works.  It's a void just like the main world except for bits of fortress.  That's why I was so intent on crafting a good (armored) jetpack before returning.  I just hovered above all the enemies sniping with my steel bow until I had cleared the area enough that I could safely retrieve my goodies.  A high level backpack with automatic restocking is also a necessity.

I don't know what you're talking about, I went into the Nether in my game and it's basically the same as always (except with a bunch of new stuff mixed in).

I saw some other videos and posts showing a filled Nether and mine was completely empty so I did some checking around.  It's actually a bug.  I think it's intended to be a void just but in some versions the flag to make the Nether a void isn't set properly and it generates like normal.  I think it depends on the setting when the world is first created, so if the flag was set when you started the world it will always be full or empty regardless of what version you run.  In a way I kind of like it empty because now I don't have to slog through everything to find a fortress.  I do miss out on giant lava pools though.

Yeah, luckily I was still able to find a Fortress nearby, but I was hoping it would be void and I could zoom directly there with my jetpack. On the upside, I got to catch the Nether chickens immediately.

This isn't exactly the right place to post this, but the shared appeal is obvious: I've been playing Dragon Quest Builders on PS4 the past few days, I enjoy it well enough. The main story is a bit of a very long tutorial / story / adventure / puzzle to unlock the free build mode. I enjoy the games emphasis on building a town for a collection of characters. Unfortunately it seems like its bound to Paystation and Nintendo consoles, nary a PC release.