Asembo

Minecraft

You might be waiting for a while. The current version (1.2.5) has been out for a long time, and many mod developers have suspended updating thier mods until the official mod API is released. If it's not out yet, that is probably the case for Technic. The mod API was bumped to 1.4 much to our collective chagrin... no idea when that will be out, but can't be soon since 1.3 hits August 1st.

Oh right. Bad news. I guess it will be quite a few months still until the Mod API is out and mod makers have transitioned to it. I hate to be one of those guys who only ever plays games modded, but vanilla Minecraft just doesn't hold the same allure for me as it used to. I need more goals.

So, this is an amazing read.

Minecraft Closed Map Experiment

Basically with limited resources, we become animals

Nice story, but some people (on page 12-13 or so on that thread) are saying it's fake. I'm not a Minecraft expert, but it does seem kind of fake-ish to me. Especially with the factions, and the merchants guild who was somehow never attacked, but had to keep paying one "dick-ass griefer" guy (since the other was defending home probably) so he wouldn't grief. Doesn't make much sense to me.

I started playing around with ComputerCraft, making turtle programs in LUA. It made me want to dig up some old Turtle Graphics examples and build crazy things.

After watching a few people stumble around with them on Youtube i figured they'd make a good interview question for junior developers. If Minecraft wasn't 30 bucks, I probably would make a challenge based on them. Something like this would be a bit extreme:

Nice story, but some people (on page 12-13 or so on that thread) are saying it's fake. I'm not a Minecraft expert, but it does seem kind of fake-ish to me. Especially with the factions, and the merchants guild who was somehow never attacked, but had to keep paying one "dick-ass griefer" guy (since the other was defending home probably) so he wouldn't grief. Doesn't make much sense to me.

Aw. That story was really awesome til I came back here and read it was fake.

Stuff like "why didn't they attack each other while they were asleep? Did they have to play at a set time every day? Why didn't EVERYONE just make a floating castle after it worked out so well for that one team?" ...as well as the writer not just saying "Guys it's not fucking fake, get off my back."

So the Minecraft documentary is out (made by the same folks who are doing the DF doc, 2 Player Productions):

You can buy the DVD for $20, the DRM-Free download for $8, or just download it for free from the PirateBay (courtesy of 2PP themselves). Given the choice, I decided to buy the DRM-Free download.

What will YOU do? :molyneuxsmall:

I decided to buy the DRM-Free then realized I'd already spent all the money in my digital purchase account (on the steam sale) and pirated instead. Oops.

Just curious, does anyone use the book and quill in Minecraft and if so, what do you use it for?

My friend and I have been running our own multiplayer server for about a year now and in that time we have each constructed our own city and also pursued some cool joint projects whenever inspiration hits. As our world has slowly become fleshed out we have established names for our various regions and even created some very basic back-stories for each area to add some more meaning to it all. We have found that this game has slowly changed from a game with randomly generated stuff that is super fun to play to an entire alternate world with rules and boundaries that we have arbitrarily determined. It has seriously gotten to the point where when I sit down to play I almost feel like Neo sitting down and getting jacked into the matrix. 

With that being said, I had never really thought of a compelling use for the book and quill until one night I was kind of bored and just started writing in one. Perhaps I was just feeling goofy or perhaps it was because of my altered state of mind that night but what I wrote was really fucked up. My idea was to create a backstory for my Minecraft character. So I created one but my twisted sense of humor took over and it devolved into a very fucked up and retarded backstory (and hilarious in my weird mind). My long term goal is to finish fleshing this out and possibly even creating an area in the world to reflect key points of my backstory so there is a connection between what is written in this book and things in the world.

So, has anyone else used the book in an interesting way? If anyone is interested I'd be glad to share my story, as retarded as it is.

Just curious, does anyone use the book and quill in Minecraft and if so, what do you use it for?

My friend and I have been running our own multiplayer server for about a year now and in that time we have each constructed our own city and also pursued some cool joint projects whenever inspiration hits. As our world has slowly become fleshed out we have established names for our various regions and even created some very basic back-stories for each area to add some more meaning to it all. We have found that this game has slowly changed from a game with randomly generated stuff that is super fun to play to an entire alternate world with rules and boundaries that we have arbitrarily determined. It has seriously gotten to the point where when I sit down to play I almost feel like Neo sitting down and getting jacked into the matrix. 

With that being said, I had never really thought of a compelling use for the book and quill until one night I was kind of bored and just started writing in one. Perhaps I was just feeling goofy or perhaps it was because of my altered state of mind that night but what I wrote was really fucked up. My idea was to create a backstory for my Minecraft character. So I created one but my twisted sense of humor took over and it devolved into a very fucked up and retarded backstory (and hilarious in my weird mind). My long term goal is to finish fleshing this out and possibly even creating an area in the world to reflect key points of my backstory so there is a connection between what is written in this book and things in the world.

So, has anyone else used the book in an interesting way? If anyone is interested I'd be glad to share my story, as retarded as it is.

I really enjoy the idea of walking around someone else's minecraft world and finding clues as to what has happened. It's more appealing to me than Dear Esther. 

Yeah, recreating something like the area in chrono cross where everything is frozen at an instant in time during a catastrophic event and leaving clues around would be sweet.

Book and Quil could definitely change up chain worlds.  Did that last one ever get that far?

If by last one you mean my character bio in the book, I probably wrote around 20 pages worth of weirdness. I never did anything with the chrono cross thing, just an idea at this point for a cool use of the book.

Anyone happen to know if iphones can play multiplayer with ipads in the Pocket Edition? I am having a hard time looking it up.

This game continues to destroy my life. I don't understand why even after playing it for 2 years I still find myself daydreaming about it every day. I imagine the way I feel about Minecraft is about the same as how a crackhead feels about crack.

I always tell myself I'm only going to play for a little bit. Then I inevitably start dreaming up some stupid grandiose plans and get sucked in for months at a time. I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever hit (bed)rock bottom with this game.

This game continues to destroy my life. I don't understand why even after playing it for 2 years I still find myself daydreaming about it every day. I imagine the way I feel about Minecraft is about the same as how a crackhead feels about crack.

I always tell myself I'm only going to play for a little bit. Then I inevitably start dreaming up some stupid grandiose plans and get sucked in for months at a time. I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever hit (bed)rock bottom with this game.

Still playing Vanilla, or are you playing on a modded server?

A friend of mine puts up a modded server every few months and I lose weeks to it every time.

Still playing Vanilla, or are you playing on a modded server?

A friend of mine puts up a modded server every few months and I lose weeks to it every time.

Lately I've just been playing on the Idle Thumbs server Squid Division set up. I've only ever played vanilla and always meant to try out some mods but I've been waiting for the plugin API so I don't risk corrupting my world.

I have been thinking about this game alot lately. I played from the alpha up until there was tameable wolves. But I went back a couple of months ago and really didnt like the new additions: magic, xp, etc.

So this lead me to think that this is the only game where I disliked future revisions. I dont want to turn into a CS 1.6 nut or anything. But I think I have become a minecraft beta purist.

I keep toying with the idea of trying Minecrack, but I really do wish they'd update the graphics a bit at least for the console versions. I know that you can install all kinds of crazy mods on the PC, but I'd have to play on a console and the default look is pretty dull in my opinion. Just some fancier shaders and effects could make the same style look way better.

I mean, the console versions are never going to look as good as many of these screenshots, right? (Man, this one is awesome.)

I have been thinking about this game alot lately. I played from the alpha up until there was tameable wolves. But I went back a couple of months ago and really didnt like the new additions: magic, xp, etc.

So this lead me to think that this is the only game where I disliked future revisions. I dont want to turn into a CS 1.6 nut or anything. But I think I have become a minecraft beta purist.

I totally respect where you're coming from but I'm going to be a Minecraft apologist for a minute.

Having played the game pretty consistently since shortly after it was officially released, my experience has been that every patch has introduced new things that enhance the existing game and add more delicious layers to the loop of exploring->mining->building->crafting->enchanting->brewing. As more items and functionality have been added, the usefulness of each type of block you mine increases and that increases the potency of the crack that is Minecraft. There are so many systems now that feed wonderfully into each other that pretty much guarantee I am getting the maximum effect of my crack every time I play. Every block I mine is exciting because it can be used as a construction material or ingredient for several different items. Breeding animals is exciting because I need sheep's wool for carpet/pictures/beds, I need cow's leather for item frames/books/armor, I need chicken feathers for arrows and books/quills, and I need pigs so I can fucking ride them. Setting up farms is exciting because there are a bunch of different ways to automate the collection of food and most types of food have multiple uses beyond just restoring hunger points.

You mentioned you didn't like the magic and xp stuff but again I think those things have reached a point where they are just as exciting as anything else. You now receive xp for mining, smelting, and fighting off enemies and there are dozens of enchants available across armor, weapons, and tools that all have a noticeable impact on the gameplay. Whether it's underwater breathing, faster mining, more durability, stronger weapons, or a bunch of other effects I find myself regularly utilizing this system. Then you have the brewing component which encourages you to explore the most dangerous areas of the nether since you have to get a lot of your ingredients from there to make a brew stand and more effective potions.

I could go on for a long time listing all of the cool little additions from the way villagers now work to the addition of horses but I think you get the gist of what I'm trying to say. I don't expect to change your mind but I would encourage you to dive in a little deeper if you have only experienced the latest stuff at the surface level. This is my F-GOAT after all so I feel compelled to champion it every chance I get.

XP and magic are also some of the most ignore-able additions there have been to the game, so it seems strange to point those out as detractors. People can and do continue to play current-version minecraft as if the xp-based systems don't exist.

Unless you find the little green orbs annoying, which I can understand.

The addition of the hunger mechanic really sucked the fun out of the game for me. The amount of time and effort required just to keep from starving really takes away from what I want to be doing in the game, i.e. exploring and building stuff.

The rest of the new stuff doesn't actively annoy me, but it does feel pretty superfluous to me.

The addition of the hunger mechanic really sucked the fun out of the game for me. The amount of time and effort required just to keep from starving really takes away from what I want to be doing in the game, i.e. exploring and building stuff.

The rest of the new stuff doesn't actively annoy me, but it does feel pretty superfluous to me.

how were you not dying all the time with the old health/food mechanic? I think the way this system is presented makes it feel more in the way, but it beats having to eat food as the only way to regain life. Also, the food now stacks.

I only started playing Minecraft this year, so I have a different perspective than many of you.  I don't really mind most of the systems because to me that's just how the game is.  I find having or lacking xp doesn't really make a significant impact until you get to the late game stuff, at which point it's pretty easy to get and I usually have a ton anyway.  Same goes for the magic.  Both of those things add little stuff to the game, but if they went away tomorrow I'm not sure I'd really notice or care.

The hunger mechanic does bother me though.  I get the idea behind having it, but I'm not real fond of the current implementation.  As soon as my food bar drops a tiny bit I consume whatever edible I'm carrying with me.  Keeping full food status so that my health regenerates is a lot of maintenance and at times distracts me from crafting stuff because I'm cooking steak or hunting chickens.  What I would prefer is to see your health regenerate fastest when you have full food, then the rate slowly decreases as you get hungry until you start losing it due to starvation.