Asembo

Minecraft

So I started a new world (I burnt down my wooden treefort in the old one) and walked a bit away from the spawn, spent the first couple of nights doing the usual stuff for a new world, finding iron, etc.

So I come out of my cave the third night and walk to the back of the hill I'm in, and hear MRAWAAAAAAAZASDASD. Zombies! I flee for the safety of my cave, before remember it's daylight. Huh?

Turns out there was a dungeon 5 blocks into this hillside, so I opened it to the light, let the zombies burn. Went in the next day, looted the chests (string! fortuitous, as I'm not equipped for night-time hunting yet), the mossy cobblestone and gtfo.

Hurrah, emergence.

So I started a new world (I burnt down my wooden treefort in the old one) and walked a bit away from the spawn, spent the first couple of nights doing the usual stuff for a new world, finding iron, etc.

So I come out of my cave the third night and walk to the back of the hill I'm in, and hear MRAWAAAAAAAZASDASD. Zombies! I flee for the safety of my cave, before remember it's daylight. Huh?

Turns out there was a dungeon 5 blocks into this hillside, so I opened it to the light, let the zombies burn. Went in the next day, looted the chests (string! fortuitous, as I'm not equipped for night-time hunting yet), the mossy cobblestone and gtfo.

Hurrah, emergence.

That sounds so much more awesome when you're listening to a piece of classical music as it's just about to escalate into an epic composition.

I too found a cave earlier after digging through my shaft for a good while. The floor was filled with lava which I tunnelled around until finding a water source and made a water tunnel to douse the lava.

Then continued on, more lava and more water to sort it out with. Good job I brought two steel buckets! Then I come across what I have been waiting for, diamond!

However, my excitement was ruined, when, after mining the first diamond, I found there was no more...

"This just might be the most important indie game ever made." --ign.com

There, fixed that for you. :)

So after dilly-dalling for a week or a bit more, I finally took the plunge and coughed up 9.95 Euros, and I'm now playing the single-player Alpha game. I started flailing around, and only just figured out (after about one day cycle) that I can actually excavate stone, it just takes longer than sand (dirt?). Still working with my bare hands. Since night just came, I dug myself a 1x1x5 (about) hidey hole until daybreak. Clearly I need to hit up the wiki and learn crafting and find tools.

I haven't poked around on the website much, but are the downloadable versions of the Classic client and server? Worse come to worst, I'll see about extracting the embedded Java bits out of the webpage.

Right after firing up the Alpha Windows client, I almost immediately became interested in writing a clean-room server implementation, to scratch my programmer itch. Actually, I think it may have been more after looking at some of the max player counts on some of the servers I've seen listed so far. Realizing that the game is in constant flux, and the developer(s) is(/are) working on multiplayer functionality, this would be tracking a moving target, but it still appeals to me. I may ping Notch and see if I can convince him, or at least get his blessing.

That looks pretty godsdamned awesome.

I can't wait to STRIP MINE HELL and make a hell fortress in the main world.

tumblr_la37loKz0B1qzd3eyo1_1280.png?AWSAccessKeyId=0RYTHV9YYQ4W5Q3HQMG2&Expires=1286844310&Signature=fjfIhj15sit2ePyJeFEsGP8MpHo%3D

Haha I came to this thread to post that video as well. Makes me wish that rapid transit like that was allowed in the game. It would be fun to connect two communities half a continent apart via a 1 minute blast through miles and miles of countryside (and statuary, Congrats Nick signs etc).

Watching that (sweet video) it really struck me how much more awesome the landscape could be if the vertical space was increased. Although the current system is nice, you can't really have majestic landscapes like tall mountains, deep valleys and, of course, awesome fjords.

This is from the "Big list of what Notch has actually said" FAQ:

@pixartistHH

Finn:

@xnotch Hi notch, I'm happy to see you so successful with minecraft. Anyway, do you plan on making the map 256m high at some point ? PLEASE

@notch

Markus Persson:

@pixartistHH I will certainly try! It'll require twice as much ram and lower the fps to 50% if I do it the simple way, though

It would be incredible to climb high mountains and cliffs. I want to go mountaineering in Minecraft. Actually, that's an epic project we could do on the new server: Make an amazing landscape with valleys that reach down to near bedrock and hills/cliffs that poke into the clouds. Waterfalls and rivers going all the way to the bottom. With biomes, we might even be able to build glaciers and snowcaps near the top.

Hmm...

Meteora250905d034.jpg

Bhutan%2520114.jpg

Edited by Nachimir

Making something cliff-side like that would be enough to drag me back in.

For the moment, I've burnt out pretty quickly; I seem to enjoy the exploring/spelunking most of all, as I'm not clever or patient enough to build all this interesting/clever shit you lot have come up with to date.

I also enjoyed the first bit of skinning I've done in ages, too, as it was nice and quick and I like the chunky, lo-fi nature of Minecraft's models and textures.

We'd need to dig down to the bottom of the world first. I don't think I could do something on that scale alone, but some enormous collaborative earthworks might be fun. We'd have to pause every so often to deal with lava, water and monsters :)

At the end, we'd have a landscape unlike any other Minecraft server. Imagine taking a water elevator up to near the top! It'd be something like a cable car in the alps.

--

I wrote about Minecraft for work today and namechecked Idle Thumbs:

http://www.wearemudlark.com/blog/minecraft/

Some extra notes in a comment at Gamasutra:

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/DavidHayward/20101012/6182/Minecraft_Claustrophobia_on_the_Frontier.php

I didn't link to any of these threads or the server, just because putting stuff out that visibly might attract asses or vandals.

Edited by Nachimir

Making something cliff-side like that would be enough to drag me back in.

For the moment, I've burnt out pretty quickly; I seem to enjoy the exploring/spelunking most of all, as I'm not clever or patient enough to build all this interesting/clever shit you lot have come up with to date.

I also enjoyed the first bit of skinning I've done in ages, too, as it was nice and quick and I like the chunky, lo-fi nature of Minecraft's models and textures.

I've recently made a mountain side fortress, with lava waterfalls. it's very menacing.

Watching that (sweet video) it really struck me how much more awesome the landscape could be if the vertical space was increased. Although the current system is nice, you can't really have majestic landscapes like tall mountains, deep valleys and, of course, awesome fjords.

What's extra annoying about that is if you try to build some super high mountaintop thingy (well, as high as you can currently make one), clouds pass right through your solid rock walls, making your interior a murky smoke-machined mess.

Agreed. Minecraft could use some Norway style fjords :tup:

I haven't played Minecraft in a while, actually, because I had to send my good computer away to get it repaired. Hopefully it'll come back soon, because I feel like I'm missing out on so much stuff.

Minecraft did something to me a computer game hasn't done to me in ages: made me sit quietly in a frozen position, merely moving my fingers and eyes as I played the game. I loved it!

Lets create this with dynamite at some point. Fjords! :tup:

What's extra annoying about that is if you try to build some super high mountaintop thingy (well, as high as you can currently make one), clouds pass right through your solid rock walls, making your interior a murky smoke-machined mess.

I like this; I'm totally putting a cloud room in my tower when I'm finished with the tree on the lower level.

Twig, your stuff is awesome. I've been following your progress on NeoGAF, where sadly, I am helpless but to lurk.

I got this two weekends ago. Loving it. I'm having terrific fun building my home into the natural lay of the land. Haven't dug too deep yet because the mobs are scary. Here's a little youtube tour of the premises.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RotFCIMAlSM

My work filter completely cock blocks anything to do with minecraft.net, so I fiddle with the skin editor when I have down time. Here's a preview of the Captain Falcon I made along with the texture:

picture.php?albumid=9&pictureid=32picture.php?albumid=9&pictureid=31

And here's something I threw together in Blender on my lunch break:

picture.php?albumid=9&pictureid=29

Unfortunately, I cannot break obsidian in one click with this skin. Oh well.

Twig, your stuff is awesome. I've been following your progress on NeoGAF, where sadly, I am helpless but to lurk.

Aw, shucks. I haven't played Minecraft in a while, despite continuously telling myself I'll get back into it soon. REAL LIFE. ARHGH. I keep developing elaborate plans in my head, but who knows when I'll actually be able to build them.

Also, don't be sad. That place is a vile den of hatred and villainy.

...It'd be something like a cable car in the alps.

I don't have ta twitter, but someone should really tweet this suggestion to Notch, because cable cars would be a truly epic feature, and judging by the physics he got into the arrows, I reckon it would be doable. And judging by his receptiveness to suggestions, we might actually get it!

--

http://www.wearemudlark.com][/url]

At the same time' date=' he[Notch'] seems to be implementing major changes without interfering with the core of the game.

This is one of the most impressive things about Notch I reckon. He seems to have crystallized a number of theoretical and practical approaches to game development and design, (...

agile, procedural,generative, testing-driven, rapid prototyping...

) to the point where his success was pretty much inevitable.

Can vouch for magic. He is from the mongbat community so there is no worry of griefing.

Ok, I added him.

Whoa:

gPls6LXlkGI

Ayhg-yizLUI

0v5cAFYouWY

Those booster track segments are something that would never occur to me as possible. Wtf. Why would they boost and how is this a thing?