Asembo

Minecraft

So I'm making a mine, and I've got a nice cache of rock, dirt, wood and various simple tools. However, as I'm digging my way around I'm uncovering other caves, and there are sounds. It's freaking me out. I guess I should start worrying about weapons and armor, but so far I haven't gotten anything resembling metal. I'm also afraid a monster will find its way into my cave – can they open doors?

So I'm making a mine, and I've got a nice cache of rock, dirt, wood and various simple tools. However, as I'm digging my way around I'm uncovering other caves, and there are sounds. It's freaking me out. I guess I should start worrying about weapons and armor, but so far I haven't gotten anything resembling metal. I'm also afraid a monster will find its way into my cave – can they open doors?

Nope. Make a door, and seal up all holes. You'll be fine! Spam torches to detract them from spawning and you'll be cracking. You might have found metal and you just don't know it. It's stone blocks with yellow bits in it. Dump it in a forge for free steel/iron!

Listening for the disgusting sounds is a good way to figure out in which direction the more expansive cave systems lie.

I've played Minecraft on and off since, I think, February. I always get tired of it prematurely due to the absurd rarity of iron.

I've played Minecraft on and off since, I think, February. I always get tired of it prematurely due to the absurd rarity of iron.

It's not that rare. Maybe it was in February but now it's everywhere. Just explore a cave and you'll find it within minutes.

Patters, there's someone on my server parading about as you!

Work continues apace on my Netherese city.

Patters, there's someone on my server parading about as you!

Work continues apace on my Netherese city.

MercFox's shack server? If so that was me, I've dialled back seeing as this game plays on everything that addicts me.

It's not that rare. Maybe it was in February but now it's everywhere. Just explore a cave and you'll find it within minutes.

It's not changed. I'm lucky if I find 3 or 4 blocks per MASSIVE MASSIVE HOLE. Never enough to ever tool myself up to the degree I want after going through hundreds of stone tools.

So I went up to the top of the mountain I initially entered my cave through. I had dug a huge shaft which posed a falling hazard, so I decided to plug the hole and tidy up a bit around it, chopping down trees and clearing out di-- kaboom[/i]! I exploded and died, and I don't know why... are there bombs in the mountain? Also I found a nice cliff face I intend to excavate for metals. First thing I did was build a little room with a door to hide from the scary monsters. Does time pass when you're out of the game?

So I went up to the top of the mountain I initially entered my cave through. I had dug a huge shaft which posed a falling hazard, so I decided to plug the hole and tidy up a bit around it, chopping down trees and clearing out di-- kaboom[/i]! I exploded and died, and I don't know why... are there bombs in the mountain? Also I found a nice cliff face I intend to excavate for metals. First thing I did was build a little room with a door to hide from the scary monsters. Does time pass when you're out of the game?

One of the creepers explodes when it's near you, that probably happened.

It's not changed. I'm lucky if I find 3 or 4 blocks per MASSIVE MASSIVE HOLE. Never enough to ever tool myself up to the degree I want after going through hundreds of stone tools.

In the very first map I started, I found no caves and only very little coal. The second one was better. It is just the luck of the draw methinks.

I made a VERY basic guide for things like time and movement. It goes like:

Clouds go north

Sun rises in the east

Sun sets in the west

Cartograph displays East as north (IE: Top of the map)

Daytime: 9 minutes

Sunset: 1m30

Nighttime: 7m

Sunrise: 1m30

BEHOLD AS I POST A SELF-INDULGENCE (in two parts)!

So I went back to my lava-ravaged savegame and I fixed the lava, then fired up the fraps to show you guys what I've been up to. :grin:

20100918-0017.jpg

Let's start this off from the platform high above my home. That pillar over there is another marker.

FUN FACT: you can jump and build underneath your avatar.

20100918-0016.jpg

Moonrise. You can see my underwater garden right under the encroaching clouds.

20100918-0018.jpg

So as I was inching around to get a better look through the clouds, I fell off the tower and respawned a little ways away. Ah, there's home!

20100918-0019.jpg

20100918-0020.jpg

I knocked out every other block in the tower and put torches in the holes.

20100918-0021.jpg

Another look at the garden.

20100918-0022.jpg

The inventory I lost while taking screenshots.

20100918-0023.jpg

20100918-0024.jpg

The littler dirt tower is the original marker I built, before I realized you could hop and build.

FUN FACT: The ladder doesn't actually need to be continuous, you can skip a block.

20100918-0025.jpg

Frank Lloyd Wright would've been so proud. The spiraly stairs that go up and around before they go down ensure nothing can accidentally enter.

20100918-0026.jpg

The grass finally made it to the top of that thing.

20100918-0027.jpg

One more screenshot of that thing from the little terrace.

20100918-0015.jpg

This is the view from one end of the room towards the dirt tower...

20100918-0001.jpg

... and this is from the other end of the room towards the garden. The bookshelves all burned out, but none of the chests went up in flames, so that is good. The obsidian stone in the floor is the place from which one can access all the furnaces and chests and the workbench. The grass has almost grown back from all that lava.

20100918-0002.jpg

The fabled dug-in workbench and the starting point of the rollercoaster.

20100918-0003.jpg

The mud chunks in the ceiling are the spots I broke to douse the lava.

20100918-0004.jpg

20100918-0005.jpg

20100918-0006.jpg

When I started to get lost in the caves, I fancied up the primary access arteries so that I know I am on the correct path back up. This was also the first attempt at spreading out the grass away from the sun.

20100918-0007.jpg

Wildlife spawns underground as well. It seems all it needs is grass.

20100918-0008.jpg

20100918-0009.jpg

FUN FACT: Waterfalls are also useful as elevators. If you hold space while in one, your dude will climb slowly upwards. These waterfalls all lead to useful mine access points.

20100918-0010.jpg

Now let's check out the underwater garden.

20100918-0011.jpg

The tracks go down the hill and around the room.

FUN FACT: Observe how the tracks butt against each other stupidly on the top left-ish. The cart, having plenty of momentum once it gets here, will actually continue, but it will turn to the LEFT, because the last turn it made before it got to that end was to the left. It will get about two or three blocks back up the big ramp, then roll back the hill and make a whole other rotation around the garden. Before I made the little bend that goes around the tree, the cart used to just continue in the circle (because the last bend was to the right), but would quickly lose momentum.

20100918-0012.jpg

Somehow I hoped this view would be more interesting. Occasionally you can see bobbing farm animals or spiders or creepers up there. Sometimes farm animals spawn in the garden too, but the mine cart doesn't actually run them over. It just hits them and bounces back as if it hit a wall.

20100918-0029.jpg

20100918-0013.jpg

A view back up. You can see the dirt staircase that brought the grass all the way down to the garden.

MercFox's shack server? If so that was me, I've dialled back seeing as this game plays on everything that addicts me.

Another server. He has since amended his name to Patrick and is apparently an admin. Ah well.

My floating castle in the sky is complete, and pictures will come eventually. I really, really hate having to make the entire thing out of cobblestone.

I find it interesting that so many players seem to like building tall structures. My fascination with the game is digging maze-like, claustrophobic tunnels deep and far, only surfacing to chop wood. Hopefully I'll be able to grow my own trees underground at one point, I don't know if that's even possible.

I find it interesting that so many players seem to like building tall structures. My fascination with the game is digging maze-like, claustrophobic tunnels deep and far, only surfacing to chop wood. Hopefully I'll be able to grow my own trees underground at one point, I don't know if that's even possible.

I've been mostly underground as well, but for a few hours I have been messing around above ground, building cobblestone walkways between mountains so I can get around faster.

I find it interesting that so many players seem to like building tall structures.

Really, the only reason for the tall structures is being able to find your way home. With the introduction of the compass, it is a lot easier to go exploring. I think that next thing I build will have a canyon dug into the countryside that connects my spawn point with wherever I decide to build my home.

My fascination with the game is digging maze-like, claustrophobic tunnels deep and far, only surfacing to chop wood. Hopefully I'll be able to grow my own trees underground at one point, I don't know if that's even possible.

I've done it, as the screen captures above plainly show. :shifty:

My floating castle in the sky is complete, and pictures will come eventually. I really, really hate having to make the entire thing out of cobblestone.

If you bake cobblestone, it gives you regular stone.