Asembo

Minecraft

Has anyone been playing this game? Minecraft is a sandbox construction game made by a dude and it uses Voxels (It kind of looks like 3D Dot Heroes). He's currently selling the alpha version for 10 euros, but there is also a classic version available on Minecraft.net and it is free. I wouldn't recommend Minecraft classic, since it doesn't have any enemies and you always have unlimited amount of every block type.

Purpose of Minecraft is to collect food and building material during the daytime, then building yourself a cave, a hut or whatever you come up with. When the night comes, Voxel monsters crawl out of their underground caves and haunt the night. There are also chests that you have to find by exploring, but I haven't gotten that far into the game.

http://minecraft.net/

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Main_Page

Here's some screenshots I took of my hideout:

Screenshot

Screenshot

Screenshot

Screenshot

You motherfuck. I was halfway through making this thread before I forgot 2 months ago. Will write a big thing up later. Minecraft is superb!

Am I missing something? I click on Minecraft Classic, and I can... Run around... and place blocks. That's it. What is Minecraft Alpha? Is it any different at all?

Minecraft Classic is a much earlier version that's effectively just a building sandbox. It's still on there because it became very popular and supports multiplayer.

Minecraft Alpha is the latest alpha version of the proper game which is more of a sandbox roguelike/survival/sandbox thing with monsters, combat, crafting, limited resources etc. Multiplayer is still being implemented.

Minecraft Classic is a much earlier version that's effectively just a building sandbox. It's still on there because it became very popular and supports multiplayer.

Minecraft Alpha is the latest alpha version of the proper game which is more of a sandbox roguelike/survival/sandbox thing with monsters, combat, crafting, limited resources etc. Multiplayer is still being implemented.

is it worth 12$?

Looks really interesting and I'll probably get it when I'm on contract again.

Seems like the sort of sandbox where you sort of make your own fun. If you like your games to have concrete goals and flow or if you have a tough time creating your own self-imposed challenges, it might not be for you.

Just looking at the free component, if I had to sum it up in a single sentence I'd say it's Spelunky meets Dwarf Fortress in 3D.

I'll just copy and paste over my blog from giantbomb, in which I discuss the finer points of world generation and exploration. It's ongoing, so I'll update as I go on. It's really reallly good whoever was asking. It's worth the cash if you wanna support weird indie stuff thats incredibly niche like. Imagine a lego sandbox, in 3D. If anyone has ANY questions, I can definetely answer them. Blog as follows...

Greetings fellow Minecrafters! I hope the earth is good, and the steel is flowing well. After several conceptual nightmares regarding stupid huts, I decided to finally make a full castley fortress base. I initially considered creating a giant land castle, but that's a fancy, lady elf thing to do. With the assistance of my Dwarf Fortress experience, I thought to myself "The game is called MINEcraft", so I set into the world with 5 stone picks, a sword, and a chest, and decided to go find my ideal dream home.

After much exploration, and uneventful vistas with nothing more than sand and cows...I found it.

1445366-newland_super.jpg

A deep, deep valley with everything I could want. Sand for smelting into glass. Water for running streams. And a fuck off mountain in which I could mine to my hearts content. Now...how to get down there...

I eventually decided to construct a small mud hut, in which I would use it as a sort of "Tool shed". From here, I knew I could get to work proper, when the sun rose the next morning. I erected my house quickly before monsters came, and managed to barricade myself until the morning light vanquished them. Using this now as a small base, I popped down a forge, chest and costruction table, and wondered where I should go from here. My dwarven intuition kicked in, as I began to tear the mountain itself asunder, in order to create a paradise away from the world. This was where I finally chose.

1445370-newcitypart1_super.jpg

There's always animals on the roof of wherever I choose. Always watching. Waiting.

Some time later, I'd began carving out the rock in a way I was comfortable with. I had a plan in my head.

1445372-newcitypart2_super.jpg

And some time later, I had finally come up with a semi working door system, in which I was now confident to call my new home.

1445374-newcitypart3_super.jpg

I knew that eventually, I'd have to actually nut up and dig deep, creating my very own little fortress. After some aesthetic cleanups outside, and a bit of housekeeping, I decided to enter the mountain, and show it who's boss. From here, I made a 10x10x10 space inside, where I could finally get things going. No steel yet, but plenty of coal.

1445375-newcitypart4_super.jpg

Oh, and then I made a little dungeon outside, inspired by the Rancor pit from Return of the Jedi.

Practical? Sure

Working? To an extent

Reasoning?...To show the livestock that was ALL UP IN MY SHIT who was boss.

1445377-newcitydungeon_super.jpg

The roof was glass so they could look in and see their pork brother be flooded to death. To my knowledge, he's still in there...

From here, my initial day plans were complete! I remade my mudhut toolshed with stone, for a little element of class. Also mud is for jerks and poor people. With a bit more tweaking, aesthetics, and overly gaudy decorations, day 1 was complete, and my fortress was finally coming to shape. Good show!

1445379-day1finished_super.jpg

More as it comes...

Whenever I play Minecraft multiplayer with mates we always end up building a massive fortress...

It makes me feel like a little kid making a fort with his friends out of planks, string, and bedsheets. And then kicking out all the girls...

I plopped down my £8.50 for the alpha at lunchtime today.

I've still not played it, but I like the game's style and I'm fascinated by the premise.

I plopped down my £8.50 for the alpha at lunchtime today.

I've still not played it, but I like the game's style and I'm fascinated by the premise.

I knew it...Wrestle literally shits money. :getmecoat

It's great fun, I'll post some screenshots once my hideout is finished.

98ektcbfkW8

Somebody tell this old fart what song that is please. I liked it when I heard it on the wireless ages ago but never got around to finding out who is responsible.

It's Take Me Out by Franz Ferdinand. You're welcome. :tup::D

My home:

View from my top balcony

4848255114_9a1a4edc26_z.jpg

front door

4848255822_e7d1eab6c2_z.jpg

Other view

4847633637_8ca87bc702_z.jpg

Mining expedition:

I found an incredibly deep looking hole, in which there could be monsters, but I felt the need to go down.

4848254090_0d96419dac_z.jpg

I continued down finding a couple of massive subcaves during the decent I explored one, in which I encountered a few beasts, fearing for my life I ran, and build a wall to protect myself and continued my descent. Once I reached the bottom I encountered lava and redstone, which I hadn't the tools to mine. Though I had collected gold ore and coal on my outing, so it wasn't a complete waste.

From the bottom to the top:

4848254370_244aa8deee_z.jpg

4848254642_c158c1cbe5_z.jpg

4848254880_151ce0e327_z.jpg

Just a heads up, the first public release of multiplayer is due on Tuesday/Wednesday which means that the game will leave Alpha, so the price will increase.

I can't be bothered reformatting it for here. But I made a massive post over on Giant Bomb about a big experience in Minecraft.

Find it here!

I can't be bothered reformatting it for here. But I made a massive post over on Giant Bomb about a big experience in Minecraft.

Find it here!

Grab that gold and craft yourself a nice looking golden armor.

But gold stuff sucks, doesn't it? D: Unless armor is an exception to the rule?

I have been obsessively playing this for about a week now. Here is a brief photoblawg of what I have built.

javaw%202010-08-02%2016-40-32-95.jpg The holes are now all filled in with glass. Took about... I didn't keep track, but I'd say twenty or so stacks of glass. Probably more?

javaw%202010-08-02%2000-01-13-44.jpg A view from below. If you're curious, the circle is 80 blocks in diameter.

javaw%202010-08-02%2016-39-35-55.jpg A fountain made of obsidian.

javaw%202010-08-02%2000-01-17-76.jpg I found a dungeon literally in plain sight, the first and only dungeon I've found. Only noticed it a few days ago. The view from below that you see above is taken from where this dungeon is located. I of course made it into a zombie zoo.

javaw%202010-08-02%2020-37-21-38.jpg This stupid chicken and its army of other chickens were trying to push me into the holes I hadn't yet filled when I was laying down that glass. D:

And here is a preview of a texture pack I am working on for fun.

javaw%202010-08-02%2021-53-27-70.jpg Still needs work, but hey.