Jake

The Idle Thumbs Podcast Episode 10: Nasty/Good/Badass

Oh man, that would be awesome. Chris Remo, Jake Rodkin and Steve Gaynor with special guest Sean "Famous" Vanaman Jake Rodkin! Two times the Jake two times the power.

we we're going to wait until episode 25: "the identity redux" to say so, but that's actually what you're getting right now. sean vanaman, aka "sean famous vanaman" is actually a construction of jake's. jake switches from jake voice to "sean voice" or "famous mouth" and back with uncanny quickness and clarity and has been performing the character since the gdc conf grenade (where jake took too two many frenet shots and had sean emerge in public). seeing this bizarre personality switch in the wild, chris thought it would be a good idea to bring this character to the cast.

also, this is jake aka sean aka famous video games writing this.

So when you said you were reading my mini Max Ides script to each other, you were actually reading it to yourself in funny voices... It all makes sense now.

we we're going to wait until episode 25: "the identity redux" to say so, but that's actually what you're getting right now. sean vanaman, aka "sean famous vanaman" is actually a construction of jake's. jake switches from jake voice to "sean voice" or "famous mouth" and back with uncanny quickness and clarity and has been performing the character since the gdc conf grenade (where jake took too two many frenet shots and had sean emerge in public). seeing this bizarre personality switch in the wild, chris thought it would be a good idea to bring this character to the cast.

also, this is jake aka sean aka famous video games writing this.

I'm sure this isn't the first time this has been said, but you had me at "famous mouth".

Your description of Moonbase Alpha is eerily accurate. I haven't played in a while, but I was probably one of many dudes doing space donuts and commiting space sabotage. In Space.

Too bad I deleted it when it wanted me to re-download half the game for a few minor bug fixes.

"I'm going off a sweet space ramp!"

QLyz4tTVfo4

That video is hilarious.

So when you said you were reading my mini Max Ides script to each other, you were actually reading it to yourself in funny voices... It all makes sense now.

and by 'Over the cubicle wall' he means he was just yelling it at himself in an office.

Can we please be careful with Max Ideas? It's already reaching Wizard levels of oversaturation.

Max IdeAs? hah, cool. I'm imagining a commercial with Chris's voice (the same as for ultra boost)...."Max Ideaaaas...ultra booooost! Hardcooore! Extreme flavooor! Yeeeeah!"

You know how the thumbs deliberately have to put an end to running jokes? I think, as a forum, we give max ides one more week and then stop... So I second Sombre.

You know how the thumbs deliberately have to put an end to running jokes? I think, as a forum, we give max ides one more week and then stop... So I second Sombre.

Come on man, relax a little. It's not like anybodys killing anyone - it'll die before long anyway.

Also, IMO it totally sucks that the thumbs killed running jokes.

Ps: just realised Max Ides' evil unknown boss would so totally have to be Phaedrus.

Did Thumbs on the whole kill running jokes, or did Scoops end running jokes? I think it is our patriotic Thumberican duty to keep running jokes running. Like QWOP.

Goldblum4Life.

ALL MEMES MUST DIE

Except wizard since it seems like it has a lasting power of a classic.

I was just seconding that the running joke of max probably doesn't need to over see...'no big deal if I continues

Did Thumbs on the whole kill running jokes, or did Scoops end running jokes? I think it is our patriotic Thumberican duty to keep running jokes running. Like QWOP.

Goldblum4Life.

QWOP is no joke

I got very little sleep last night, so in my grogginess, this is what I saw:

"Maximum Ides! Maximum Bleeding!...once a month.

Needless to say, I'm very awake now, and very confused.

I got very little sleep last night, so in my grogginess, this is what I saw:

Needless to say, I'm very awake now, and very confused.

Yes, Max Ides is actually Maxine Well Ides, Female Assassin extraordinaire.*

*Please note, this is not true. Max Ides is all man.

QWOP is no joke
I don't know, for the longest time I thought you guys were just talking about playing some co-op game. co-op QWOP would be the hardest game in the world.

I don't know, for the longest time I thought you guys were just talking about playing some co-op game. co-op QWOP would be the hardest game in the world.
You mean the best game in the world.

Alright, after a short delay, the remix for episode is complete! I apologize for the terrible pun that is the name.

http://tindeck.com/listen/hzsf

I've been listening to a lot of Dubstep lately. :D

You mean the best game in the world.

Alright, after a short delay, the remix for episode is complete! I apologize for the terrible pun that is the name.

http://tindeck.com/listen/hzsf

I've been listening to a lot of Dubstep lately. :D

More things need to sample "OOOOOOOH YEAAAAAAAAH"

I remember when I was in Grade 4 in elementary school. For my science project that year, I selected "Computers". My dad owned the only computer shop in town, so we always had extra computers at home.

So for my science project all I really did was build one of those three-leafed backboards with a few notes about computers written on it, and set up a GIANT full-size tower on the desk with the monitor. This was set up in the Gym for the science fair. I pulled the computer case off to show off the inards of the amazing monstrocity. I think it was actually a customers computer.

In any case, I thought Willy Beamish was the best thing ever... the music, art, gameplay was just absolutely amazing. For the time, the graphics in particular were really impressive. I booted it up and started playing. In just minutes, FLOCKS of children abandoned their shitty paper mache volcano's and pepsi bottle submarines to watch me play this glorious looking game. It was like a real-time cartoon.

After a few minutes one of the teachers asked me to shut the computer off, so I did and the kids all went back to their projects.

Soon after one of the kids comes back and asks me to load the game back up because it was so good. I do, and the crowd begins to form. Again the teacher - more stern looking - returns and tells me to turn it off and leave it off, so I did.

When the judges came around to ask questions about the project, one of the women asked me what all of the different parts in the computer were. She pointed to the 5 1/4" Floppy drive and asks "what is that?"

I replied "A floppy drive."

Next she points to the 3 1/2" Floppy drive and asks the same question.

I replied "that's a hard drive."

She asks "Then what's this?" pointing to the hard drive.

". . . Thats also called a hard drive."

Pointing to the 3 1/2" floppy drive again, she says "I have one of these in my computer, and I think that it's also called a floppy drive"

"Nope, that's a hard drive."

Willy Beamish: Memories. . .

Meaty, solid episode with lots of glorious game content! Limbo is looking like a potential Xeneth GOTY as well.

Agreed, Famous is to The Idle Thumbs Podcast as Steve was to Idle Thumbs. A guest so good he's destined to be integrated!

A peek into Snoogle's audio work environment, ooo... Not sure why, but I love seeing other people's setups for doing the neat things they do. I have no idea what I'm looking at there beyond a timeline with multiple tracks, but what's wrong with those bottom ones that bears MS Painting?

YES HYMEN.CYST

I really need to play Limbo, you guys sold me and I think everyone has similar taste in platformer types. Too bad I don't have a 360.

I'm loving the Rayman Origins talk because I was so excited for the game, I forgot about what an idiotic title it had. And then this spawns into Willy Beamish Origins! I love you guys.:sombrero:

Anyway, Steve is right, there was an immediate Willy Beamish planned. There is a source for the information actually, straight from Jeff Tunnell's mouth, who would have been the designer again.

http://www.armchairempire.com/Interviews/jeff-tunnell-garagegames.htm

Also there is another article claiming the mishandling of the Sega CD by Sega is what may have lead to the cancellation and Tunnell leaving Dynamix briefly after they had wrapped up so much time into Sega CD ports of their big selling PC games. The company pretty much changed the direction it was going after that. Willy Beamish really wasn't ported to much outside the PC platforms of the time (Mac, Amiga, DOS), so going to the Sega CD was supposed to be a big thing for this and the other Dynamix games slated for console ports.

http://www.sega-16.com/feature_page.php?id=151&title=Behind%20the%20Design:%20%3Cem%3EAdventures%20of%20Willy%20Beamish%3C/em%3E

It actually probably wouldn't have been bad, all things considered. It would not in the same vein of the awful Larry or Space Quest sequels given to smaller developers way after the game's popularity was up.

Can we please be careful with Max Ideas? It's already reaching Wizard levels of oversaturation.

I agree with this.

Did Thumbs on the whole kill running jokes, or did Scoops end running jokes?

If you're referring to Steve making fun of the running jokes a podcast or two ago killing the running joke stuff before it goes stale, then maybe a thanks to him is in order.

Anyway, why can't there be shows with both Sean and Steve regularly? I think this episode was great, didn't seem to be too hectic with four people. And that was an awesome Moonbase story.

Edited by syntheticgerbil