Sign in to follow this  
ysbreker

Alien swarm

There's a new game coming out by valve called Alien Swarm. It's made by the guys who made the Alien swarm mod for ut2k4. Those guys are working for Valve now and they're releasing Alien swarm for free on steam in 3 days. It's got 4 player co-op and I was wondering if any of you guys are willing to get a co-op game going when it's released.

More info on alien swarm here: http://store.steampowered.com/app/630/

I expected Nachimir to post this news

oh right... you can probably count me in

Edited by elmuerte

I was out with friends this evening when they announced it :)

Well chuffed to finally see this published, especially for the four three main guys who worked on it from the very first version and were hired by Valve. The rest of us only did incidental bits (i.e. I designed a level for it), so we got a share of the Make Something Unreal loot but weren't hired.

Those four three guys have had years of (some but not all) AS fans bitching at them, and it's been hard not to 1) let slip Dalai's real name and that it's in the credits for both L4D games, and 2) cave and show any of you the trailer early for the past few weeks.

Edited by Nachimir

Free video games for free?! Sign me up!

I keep confusing this game for Alien Swarm, but this game has nothing to do with that, right? Besides, maybe, influenced by?

Free video games for free?! Sign me up!

I keep confusing this game for Alien Swarm, but this game has nothing to do with that, right? Besides, maybe, influenced by?

Alien breed?

Alien Storm? Mark Rein once signed up to do a drive by congratulations post at Black Cat, and made exactly this mix up :)

If you mean Alien Swarm, the Unreal mod, then this is the same thing, same core team. They just got hired by Valve and had to work on this around L4D and Portal.

:clap: Oh boy, this was a great mod. I could never get my friends to download and try it out, but it was fun hopping into random games and screwing around.

This is from valve? really? |:/

What's your concern?

What's your concern?

They are working on this yet still no EP3!! Or how about another 100 hats for TF2?

Ha, seriously though, I'm sure it'll be a fun game for those who like this game type and maybe to some who don't normally. I'm just a little surprised/confused they would release a mini-game like this with the full Valve brand.

I know Valve is very different and have some heavy mod roots in them with pride, but I'm just used to every other company doing these little games and/or experiment by not dilluting their main company/brand name.

The little emoticon didn't really explain my full confusion\bewilderment\concern.

PS: I am in no way saying that this would impact the Valve name in anyway, I'm just saying every other company seems to think that way and has become te norm.

edit: Actually, maybe it isn't so strange; I think ID uses their main brand name for their mobile division so I guess this Valve mini-game release isn't so strange.

The term "mini-game" does it an extreme disservice :tfart:

Also I assume it is a very small team working on this, in the same way the TF2 team are small now. Most of Valve are likely working on Portal 2.

The term "mini-game" does it an extreme disservice :tfart:

Yeah, sorry, what should I call it? Low budget game seemed to be more derogatory when I was writing.

I like that Valve was just like "OH ATTENTION WE HAVE A NEW GAME NOW". No marketing or anything fancy, just all of a sudden, VIDEO GAME.

Or maybe not.

Yeah, sorry, what should I call it? Low budget game seemed to be more derogatory when I was writing.

Honestly, not sure. The rest of BCG haven't played it, and we're pretty sure this one will be all new content rather than a remake. The last one had quite a lot of content from the main developers, all told, and they work to very high production values.

from what I read, valve sucked up the original alien swarm guys to work on left 4 dead, and at the same time they also worked on moving alien swarm over to source.

seems like a great move, another coop goty! :P

idle swarm! alien thumbs!

After the first maniac has unlocked all 64 achievements and beats the game once more using only the most basic weapon without dieing a single time, a trailer will unlock hinting the release date of Half-Life Episode 3.

And at next year's GDC Gabe Newell will be like, "Yeah, we thought with fewer and fewer companies doing demos, we should go ahead and publish a free game to market our newest product." And minds will be blown.

It's a long shot, but it's Valve after all... :shifty:

Looks like Valve is quite incompetent when it comes down to releasing stuff, Alien Swarm received 3 hours of delay. Which means it will be pushed to tomorrow for me.