Sign in to follow this  
Jake

The Idle Thumbs Podcast Episode 9: Rolling With the Pope

Oh god, that is awesome.

The entire time I was listening (and re-listening) to that I was envisioning it in movie trailer form. I can see the entire thing in my head from the first shot to the final screen with Max Ides Coming Soon... on it. Now I just need a few thousand dollars, multiple actors and some impossible to find locations and I could make a sweet trailer for a non-existant film. :getmecoat

I could write the script. I have a vision, bro.

It definitely needs somebody saying, "oh shit, what day is it?!?" right before that final cut. :)

It definitely needs somebody saying, "oh shit, what day is it?!?" right before that final cut. :)

Nah, it needs "But it's the 13th!"

"It's February"

*POW*

OMG. Just had the greatest idea ever thanks to your quote Podunk. You know how they have those creepy little girls singing in the background of trailers, in order to spook you? Well, if you've seen Futurama, you know the song they sing when it's Nibbler's birthday?

What day is today?

It's Nibbler's birthday

What a day for a birthday

Now let's all have some cake.

Just alter the words, and have a creepy little girl singing quietly throughout the entire trailer.

Ok, mind gone blank, but there are words that will fit to that tune that will make this bad-ass.

For anyone who cares enough to read my trailer vision here is what i'm thinking.

The entire trailer is one shot of a clock ticking in an extremely darkened room, the camera is slowly zooming in the entire time and small clips of the movie itself are shown in 'reflections' in the glass of the clock face. Some of the shots would be people running through alleyways and doing other generic things that are in the movie, the only restriction being that they all have to be fairly slow shots and they all must be dark. The final few moments would be synchronized with the drum beat and one of the very last shots would be max himself in a clock tower. Then, as the drum beat goes 3 times in quick succession three shots of the zoom are used from later on. In other words, you get three shots of the clock getting closer quickly. Fade to black. Max Ides Coming Soon... appears and after a few seconds disintegrates into dust which blows away.

There's your trailer.

EDIT: Holy shit, you're Ian Dorsch?

Those ideas are awesome! :clap:

Apparently so. ;)

Man, what a turn up for the books. The theme song to Zero Punctuation rocks. :tup:

EDIT: Then I realized that picking one short piece of music used for a online video series and saying that it rocks is probably a douchey thing to do, so to be more accurate. I think all of your work is awesome, in particular the ZP theme is badass. I'll shut up now...

Thanks, Thompson, I appreciate it!

I don't find the comments re: ZP theme douchey at all. I'm actually always happy to hear that people like it, since it was initially accompanied by such a nerdstorm of controversy.

Thanks, Thompson, I appreciate it!

I don't find the comments re: ZP theme douchey at all. I'm actually always happy to hear that people like it, since it was initially accompanied by such a nerdstorm of controversy.

Sorry guy, never heard of you. I remember liking ZP when I watched it and the theme was cool.

We could make Max Ides into something even more badass.

I'm not sure that it's possible for Max Ides to be more badass. I mean, he's already pretty badass.

I'm not sure that it's possible for Max Ides to be more badass. I mean, he's already pretty badass.

Sorry, I meant Max Ides: The Origins of Darkness; Blue Moon Rising. The character is badass, we need a game that delivers.

I'm curious, what DAW and/or set of software did you use to make that?

Also, you appear to be far better at this then me.

Well, to be fair, I'm ostensibly a professional, and I'm working with some relatively high end tools. One way or another, I liked your track a lot. :)

I'm using Cubase 5 and Wavelab 6, and this particular ditty employs Spectrasonics Omnisphere and a whole bunch of Kontakt sample libraries in Kontakt 4.1 (Cinematic Strings, EWQL Symphonic Orchestra Platinum, Tonehammer Epic Frame Drums and a badass set of free grandfather clock samples I found on the interwebs).

Well, to be fair, I'm ostensibly a professional, and I'm working with some relatively high end tools. One way or another, I liked your track a lot. :)

I'm using Cubase 5 and Wavelab 6, and this particular ditty employs Spectrasonics Omnisphere and a whole bunch of Kontakt sample libraries in Kontakt 4.1 (Cinematic Strings, EWQL Symphonic Orchestra Platinum, Tonehammer Epic Frame Drums and a badass set of free grandfather clock samples I found on the interwebs).

That would explain it. All I have is a copy of FL Studios 9, and a cobbled together set of synth plugins and some drum machine samples.

I'm curious: do you do any commercial work? Because what I've heard of your stuff is ace.

EDIT: I can't believe that I just said "ace". I am ashamed.

Hahaha, thanks!

Yeah, I do some commercial stuff, but I try to seek out gigs that appeal to me creatively, which basically means I'm limited to doing this part time. At this point I'm more interested in working on cool projects with cool people than filling up the calendar with jobs for ad agencies and music libraries. One upside of that attitude is that I can drop a few hours to write some music for Max Ides without pissing off any clients. :grin:

Does anybody feel like doing some art for Ides? I'm thinking of throwing together a quick XNA game.

Does anybody feel like doing some art for Ides? I'm thinking of throwing together a quick XNA game.

He should look like this.

david-caruso-horatio-cain.jpg

just not ginger.

I'm mainly thinking for the glasses, really.

I can do sound design! I'm a horrible artist, though, so yeah.

I can do sound design! I'm a horrible artist, though, so yeah.

End of the trailer maybe?

*Broken, bruised and bloody*"What's your name? Who are you?"

"Max Ides."

*Non-diagetic* YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Loved the Driver San Francisco discussion. Hope they talk about it again in the future and see if it met their expectations.

Coincidentally, I was reminded of this thread recently. Man, the Max Ides stuff is so ridiculous (yet I still laugh.)

Get ready for some epic thread necromancy. I was listening to this episode, because I'm trying to get a friend into Idle Thumbs and think that this one is one of the best, but I had a great realization when Chris was talking about Ubisoft's decision to make the Assassin's Creed games have a goofy sci-fi frame story, he asks why we can't just have a game about some dude in 1342. I agree, but for different reasons: 1342 is five years after the Hundred Years War began and five years before the Black Death began. What an amazing game that would be, like A Distant Mirror: The Video Game! I'm envisioning something like the potential video game they describe a few episodes later, about playing someone in Hiroshima the week before the atomic bomb was dropped. Why aren't there more history video games that operate on an intimate, personal level? Even Ezio's got to roll with popes to be worthy of his own game.

As long as Gormongous revived this thread, I want to talk about Snoopy Flying Ace some more.  Really just this Google preview text:

post-8337-0-09656500-1395177697_thumb.png