Sign in to follow this  
Jake

The Idle Thumbs Podcast Episode 9: Rolling With the Pope

Robert is in fact Robert "Yare" Oates -- AKA Robert Oatbag Oates AKA Robert Oatbag Horsebag Oates AKA Roberto Paninni AKA Robert Crepevine Oates AKA Ro-bawss AKA The Libyan.

And thanks guys, I've been enjoying being on the cast from time to time and will try to bring more in depth analysis from here on out.

You forgot Robert "Team Argyle" Oates.

I thought I'd usurp Hermie's photoshop this episode. While I'm barely an amateur at PS, I like to think that I'm a fair hand at Garry's Mod, and the Ides tangent inspired me:

2hf3vwz.jpg

fuck, you guys read my email about Fallout 3 (don't call me Jim).

I hadn't thought about it being a particular of the weird 90's game transition into mainstream Tony Hawks bullshit. I did actually play XCom and did not like it the way I liked Fallout (2 in particular). XCom wanted to crush your balls at every step, Fallout would at least let you get through the first hour before administratively raping you through the pants.

Edited by twmac

You get a pretty rad 'cast shoutout, and this episode seems particularly rife with remix fodder. Maid (made?) of Bone-Ladder might be my favorite thing.
Not this time. I'm gonna be rollin' with the Pope.

I just listened, and thanks for the shoutout, thumbs!

The bit about Sean's roommate (or was it Jake's...I think it was Sean's) made me think of a story I heard second-hand from one of the Dorm RA's in college about a guy who used to live there who was a bit odd....

The guy walks into his dorm room and his roommate is in there getting head from a stripper and so he just walks over as they're doing their thing...and he turns on the SNES with Super Mario World and turns up the volume and just starts playing it with the door wide open to the dorm hallway almost oblivious to whats going on in the room.

Super Mario World is awesome, it's still my favorite Mario game. I wish I had a SNES, or SMW on my PS3.

Wait, what was that about a stripper?

Someone needs to make a badass Youtube video of Snooglebum's remix with footage of a pimp Ezio going through town in slo-mo wearing a posse of dancing prostitutes around his body. Like a gangster.

Good lord Snoogle, that was something special. I especially loved the use of the sampling for a melody or beat or whatever, Chris' 'BING!' sound effect is awesome! I think the best part has to be the way Jake sings 'You'll be sampled'.

Someone needs to make a badass Youtube video of Snooglebum's remix with footage of a pimp Ezio going through town in slo-mo wearing a posse of dancing prostitutes around his body. Like a gangster.

Edit:

I would be all over that if I had a copy of AC2.

I remember that I said i'd make a compilation of every bro hug in GTAIV, I abandoned that project because, believe it or not, there aren't that many bro hugs. Like, at all.

Edit:

I hadn't actually quite finished the podcast and I was listening to the last bit of reader mail and when Chris was talking about the Cryostasis thread I was expecting a mention for my stupid spamming and then I was pissed when I didn't get one and then I was sad that I was expecting a shoutout for some reason, then I was more sad.

Another Edit (I have so much to say):

I just noticed that the name 'Your posse will be sampled' is two letters away from being something far more horrible, enjoy that name being soiled forever.

Edited by Thompson

Sorry for the triple post.

I hadn't actually quite finished the podcast and I was listening to the last bit of reader mail and when Chris was talking about the Cryostasis thread I was expecting a mention for my stupid spamming and then I was pissed when I didn't get one and then I was sad that I was expecting a shoutout for some reason, then I was more sad.

There is an edit button right next to the quote button.

Good lord Snoogle, that was something special. I especially loved the use of the sampling for a melody or beat or whatever, Chris' 'BING!' sound effect is awesome! I think the best part has to be the way Jake sings 'You'll be sampled'.

Another Edit (I have so much to say):

I just noticed that the name 'Your posse will be sampled' is two letters away from being something far more horrible, enjoy that name being soiled forever.

Why thank you! If you liked it, here's a wee bit of Dubstep I did: http://tindeck.com/listen/shqz

That might have been intentional. Who knows?

Oh, and for the record, it's Snooglebum with a long "O".

Tight and fun little cast, for some reason I am compelled to listen to it again now, possibly while sculpting a weird thing out of clay. Really looking forward to witnessing whatever record comes out of that PAX panel! A live performance of Space Asshole is a great idea, but I hope you're prepared for the inevitable "ENCORE!" roar that will follow sir.

That's funny Thompson, my reaction to the Cryostasis thread comment was "Hey, I helped asplode that thread! It was yet another awesome little Thumbs moment, eclipsed only by my being the one to start that Thumbvasion of a random QWOP youtube video, in turn eclipsed only the the "Adventure Games" cross-stitch incident. What a funny little meme community we have, yay!

And speaking of creative Thumbs, "SNOW-glebum" (like that?!), audio lord, how do you do it?!

And thanks fer filling in for Hermie, that's some fine Gary's Moddin' thar Korax!

Man, I don't know what Sean sees in that Snoopy game on Xbox Live Arcade. I had the weirdest time with the demo tonight.

Presentation-wise it feels nothing like Peanuts. It's got the muted colors and somber piano music of a Medal of Honor game. If the sky wasn't filled with parachuting Snoopys shaking their fists in rage after each kill, it would have no Peanuts flavor at all.

And kills are indeed called "kills", which I thought was mildly inappropriate for Peanuts. To see "mikemariano was killed by DarthPenus" over and over again in a Snoopy game was really quite a unique experience.

Oh! I almost forgot! Pat yourselves on the back, Thumbs-

WE DID IT!!!

seanFamousVanaman.png

...Thanks to all the other Thumbs out there who entered that into Google every few days alongside me. Truly an auspicious discovery when it beat me to it this time!

Finished the episode.

Agree with Chis about the Driver thing, but I think what Jake and Sean were talking about the gaminess of it with the bs fiction for it wasn't that they cared about the fiction of Driver, but in the broader sense of why games feel the need to do things like that when they had a very competant looking period driving game going.

However, Chris made a good point too with the fact that they wanted the game feature and needed a reason for it, so really its back to the old struggle of game design vs. narrative.

I really like grounded video games, I also like zaney video gamesas long as they don't take themselves seriously but it's really hard to get that middle ground, which is areally problem a lot of games face these days. So it's a choice of sacrificing a cool/fun game feature to keep your narrative consistant, or you sacrifice the narrative to get your game feature in there and hope you can handle it properly, but very few people have figured it out.

Tight and fun little cast, for some reason I am compelled to listen to it again now, possibly while sculpting a weird thing out of clay. Really looking forward to witnessing whatever record comes out of that PAX panel! A live performance of Space Asshole is a great idea, but I hope you're prepared for the inevitable "ENCORE!" roar that will follow sir.

That's funny Thompson, my reaction to the Cryostasis thread comment was "Hey, I helped asplode that thread! It was yet another awesome little Thumbs moment, eclipsed only by my being the one to start that Thumbvasion of a random QWOP youtube video, in turn eclipsed only the the "Adventure Games" cross-stitch incident. What a funny little meme community we have, yay!

And speaking of creative Thumbs, "SNOW-glebum" (like that?!), audio lord, how do you do it?!

And thanks fer filling in for Hermie, that's some fine Gary's Moddin' thar Korax!

Snew-gull-bum. I wouldn't say I'm an audio lord. More like an audio... uh, dude. Audio Thumb. Sir Lord Audio Dude Thumbmin.

Ah, I wish I was old enough to go to PAX. Chris performing Space Asshole live would be a sight to see. :/

Snew-gull-bum. I wouldn't say I'm an audio lord. More like an audio... uh, dude. Audio Thumb. Sir Lord Audio Dude Thumbmin.

Ah, I wish I was old enough to go to PAX. Chris performing Space Asshole live would be a sight to see. :/

There's an age limit? Does this mean after I finally leave this arse of a country, I need to wait yet more time to go to a PAX? x_x

Finished the episode.

Agree with Chis about the Driver thing, but I think what Jake and Sean were talking about the gaminess of it with the bs fiction for it wasn't that they cared about the fiction of Driver, but in the broader sense of why games feel the need to do things like that when they had a very competant looking period driving game going.

However, Chris made a good point too with the fact that they wanted the game feature and needed a reason for it, so really its back to the old struggle of game design vs. narrative.

I really like grounded video games, I also like zaney video gamesas long as they don't take themselves seriously but it's really hard to get that middle ground, which is areally problem a lot of games face these days. So it's a choice of sacrificing a cool/fun game feature to keep your narrative consistant, or you sacrifice the narrative to get your game feature in there and hope you can handle it properly, but very few people have figured it out.

Well, I would hope the Assassin's Creed 2 discussion clearly demonstrates how much I would like to see more video games be grounded. I completely understand what Jake and Sean were talking about, because it's what I was talking about with AC2. However, I suspect the historical grounding of Driver will be a lot less strongly defined than the historical grounding of Assassin's Creed (I think it's more a case of "We think Bullitt was sweet and it influenced this game," as opposed to, "We exhaustively researched Renaissance-era Italy"), so Driver is losing a lot less by lifting off into video game land, especially since--unlike Assassin's Creed--it has a concrete gameplay reason to do so.

There's an age limit? Does this mean after I finally leave this arse of a country, I need to wait yet more time to go to a PAX? x_x

That really wasn't necessary, especially as the US isn't a god damn promised land.

That really wasn't necessary, especially as the US isn't a god damn promised land.

No, but I'd pretty much love to leave this country.

I had this weird feeling of Deja-Vu while listening to the Driver 2 discussion. For a few minutes I thought I that section was cut from an older episode ...or maybe I could download files from the future.

Then I realized a very similar discussion on the Gamers with Jobs podcast with Chris as guest. (at minute 1:44)

The discussion went the same way on both podcasts: What the twist ending should be.