Sign in to follow this  
Jake

The Idle Thumbs Podcast Episode 9: Rolling With the Pope

Ides...

Rolling With the Pope

In video games, you can trust no one. Everyone is in on it, everyone but you. In video games nothing is real. Or, if it is, we're pretty sure you're seeing it via the visions of a comatose police officer, through the projection of genetic memories hurtled into your brain through time at tremendous speed, or in the dreams of a sleeping cartoon dog. With special guest Sean Vanaman.

Games Discussed: Assassin's Creed 2, Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands, Portal 2, Snoopy's Flying Ace, Driver San Francisco, Alpha Protocol, Crackdown 2

minipod_itunes.png

minipod_rss.png

zomg.. sneak attack cast...

saw it just in time to download it to listed to it during my commute

I thought I was seeing things when I randomly reloaded the site and saw a picture of the Pope. I am thankful my eyes did not deceive me.

Listening now!

In a cabin, so not able to listen right now (have to be naked), but looking forward to hearing it on Monday! Looking forward to the AC2 discussion in particular.

(have to be naked)

I would say that's the only real way to listen.

Oh god, I love the idea of rolling through town with 4 prostitutes and a pope.

What if they installed a stripper pole into the pope's bullet proof car?

Way to go Snooglebum! :tup:

LANs still exist but they are slowly dieing.

Edited by Thompson

I'm liking it so far, but I hope Chris was joking when he implied that PAX panel episode would be the last episode. I need my Idle Thumbs fill every now and then :(.

I'm liking it so far, but I hope Chris was joking when he implied that PAX panel episode would be the last episode. I need my Idle Thumbs fill every now and then :(.

Now I don't want to listen.

Yes we're just fucking around.

Wtf Chris, you've never seen the Wizard? I know it's a shitty movie and most people should avoid it, but damn, of all people.

Edit:

@Jake (You sound weird on my laptop, or you have a cold)

Assassin Creed 1 was originally started by the Sands of Time team; so it's more or less an evolution of PoP. I always thought a better "gotcha" moment would have been to tie the properties together by revealing that the assassin was just the prince who eventually became immortal in his journeys; if they wanted the scifi fantasy stuff.

The technology seems different enough from Sands of Time to call it something different, but the engine totally comes from it, or at leas the construction principles as the pipeline and set up are really similiar. Prince of Persia (there are a couple of them, so this may not be true for all of them) is still using an evolution of the old PoP, Assassin Creed, Sean White, and something else are using the same engine and Farcry 2 is using it's own engine which is probably an evolution of what they got from Crytek after buying Farcry.

Edited by Murdoc

Max Ides & Big Ben was great.

I miss J Allard a lot too. He always seemed ridiculous but not an asshole or anything, so I enjoyed him. At least he went out with a bang, I suppose.

Assassin Creed 1 was originally started by the Sands of Time team; so it's more or less an evolution of PoP. I always thought a better "gotcha" moment would have been to tie the properties together by revealing that the assassin was just the prince who eventually became immortal in his journeys; if they wanted the scifi fantasy stuff.

The technology seems different enough from Sands of Time to call it something different, but the engine totally comes from it, or at leas the construction principles as the pipeline and set up are really similiar. Prince of Persia (there are a couple of them, so this may not be true for all of them) is still using an evolution of the old PoP, Assassin Creed, Sean White, and something else are using the same engine and Farcry 2 is using it's own engine which is probably an evolution of what they got from Crytek after buying Farcry.

Ah okay, thanks! That's vaguely what I remembered, and it seems like they come from the same technological or at least ideological space, even if they diverged very early on

Ah okay, thanks! That's vaguely what I remembered, and it seems like they come from the same technological or at least ideological space, even if they diverged very early on

Yeah, totally. Though I'll just throw this out based on my limited experience, but the Farcry 2 engine is similiar in the same idealogical sense, which reminded me of the GTA engine as well.. which pretty much leads me to believe a lot of progamers just read the same technological papers and use the same ideas for open world games and rendering tricks.

I remember in one of his GDC talks, Clint Hocking was talking about both JP Tresspasser and Assassin's Creed for how they connected the player and the player character to the world very physically, and that influence was pretty directly apparent in how FC2 shows hands interacting with the world.

Or were you talking about something else?

Oh sorry, I'm just talking about more boring things like engine architecture and systems. On the developer(what you need to do to make stuff in the engine) being the pipeline stuff all being similiar between all those engines at Ubisoft but then familiar with what I saw at Rockstar as well.

So nothing design or game-play wise, just architecture that makes the games play and made being similiar.

Oh god, I love the idea of rolling through town with 4 prostitutes and a pope.

What if they installed a stripper pole into the pope's bullet proof car?

Way to go Snooglebum! :tup:

LANs still exist but they are slowly dieing.

I can't wait to listen to the episode, so I can see why you are congratulating me!

So, how long until the Farcry 2 skin for Idlethumbs dot net?

I can't wait to listen to the episode, so I can see why you are congratulating me!

You get a pretty rad 'cast shoutout, and this episode seems particularly rife with remix fodder. Maid (made?) of Bone-Ladder might be my favorite thing.

I have no interest in ever touching Assassin's Creed 2, but Remo certainly makes it sound like a laugh riot to play. Awesome talk on this game!

I guess Snooglebum is due for another remix then as well. Great news!

And Chris' questions about the Snoopy game is exactly what they went through at CartoonBrew a month ago, except it's way more hilarious here.

Edited by syntheticgerbil

this was a great episode, so many things made me have to hold in laughter at work so people wouldn't think i was crazy with my headphones on.

I really think Sean is hitting a stride the more he appears on the podcat and i would actually like him to be a full time addition.

It's amazing how the Idle Thumbs podcast is simultaneously the most intelligent and the most ridiculous video games podcast of all time, please dont ever stop making them.

Good episode. I think Vanaman can now be considered a regular, also I'm assuming Robert is Robert "Yare" Oates?

Robert is in fact Robert "Yare" Oates -- AKA Robert Oatbag Oates AKA Robert Oatbag Horsebag Oates AKA Roberto Paninni AKA Robert Crepevine Oates AKA Ro-bawss AKA The Libyan.

And thanks guys, I've been enjoying being on the cast from time to time and will try to bring more in depth analysis from here on out.