Sign in to follow this  
Thompson

Cataclysm

Trying to log in to European servers now that the full Cata has gone live... the login servers are so fucked it's unbelievable. Currently the way to get in is to repeatedly try to connect until it shows a blank black box, then you wait for up to half an hour and you might get into the queue for a server.

Love MMO releases.

wow, druids are absolutely rediculous in vashir or whatever the underwater zone is. With the underwater buff, aquatic form buff and aquatic form glyph i'm moving at a crazy speed. I'm not sure, but I may be going faster than the seahorses and i can loot items and take damage, and moonfire to tag mobs.

The underwater area is by far the most beautiful thing I've ever seen in this engine. The level of detail is insane.

wow, druids are absolutely rediculous in vashir or whatever the underwater zone is. With the underwater buff, aquatic form buff and aquatic form glyph i'm moving at a crazy speed. I'm not sure, but I may be going faster than the seahorses and i can loot items and take damage, and moonfire to tag mobs.

The underwater area is by far the most beautiful thing I've ever seen in this engine. The level of detail is insane.

Haven't been there yet, the only 80+ stuff I've done so far is about half of Mount Hyjal.

I rolled up a worgen druid to try out the race and experience the starting area, and because I'd never actually played a druid. I'm meant to be reviewing the expansion so I'm trying to get in as many different experiences as possible. Druids move so goddamn fast anywhere, it seems. Worgen druids are perhaps even worse for it as they slap darkflight (+40% movement for a short time) on occasionally, and I'm moving at +30% speed generally in cat form. Not to mention that at level 20 I'll have my choice of either travel form or just running in worgen form at mount speed.

I'm having a surprising amount of fun constantly switching from human to worgen to cat and back, I can only imagine that I'm going to look like an ADD shapeshifter once I have all the druid forms.

So I don't feel astounding today, so with a bit of sleep deprivation and no tea to boost me, I started Cataclysm with it minimized, but selected. It took me a second to work out that the creepy breathing I was hearing was not, in fact, a murderist behind me with an unnecessarily large knife, but Deathwing.

Go-go morning stupidity.

How is forty minutes in any way, shape, or form "quick"?

D:

How is forty minutes in any way, shape, or form "quick"?

D:

You should watch the hour and a half Gran Turismo 'Quick' Look.

How's everyone finding it? I'm getting petty bored of it already, i think my 2 week holiday may be the end of my WoW career for the time being. Also, for those who find the pop culture references annoying just don't touch it with a bargepole.

Levelled my warrior to 85, tanking hasn't changed any. Got my priest to 85, healing was fun for a while, but I already can heal most heroics with heal chacra. Shadow reminds me painfully of level 70 shadow and i did quite enough of that at the time. Oh well.

The progress from non-heroic to heroic dungeons was a bit bumpy. And the raids are much harder than WotLK.

I find the geography mind bending. Previous expansions have always been single landmasses built around a hub city with portals to the old world. The Dalaran and Shattrath portals have been removed, and all that remains are portals from Org and Stormwind to the new continents, all of which couldn't be further from civilization. They're great zones, but you will never find yourself going to them unless you're doing archaeology or daily quests. One doesn't simply walk into them. So when you're done questing, it does all feel a bit widespread.

I think the raids are amazing, and though they're hard right now I think I prefer that to WotLK where almost everybody had cleared all the raids the first night they were available. Once they do become farm-mode and pugable, I think people will appreciate their length. Right now it feels like a time commitment because we're wiping through progression, but realistically these are short dungeons with limited trash, and dynamic boss fights.

PvP is a bit broken on my battlegroup. Queues are way too long to make it your focus unless you've got something to do in your downtime. I'm not sure if opening up cross-battlegroup BGs would relieve or compound that problem, but something needs to be done. Perhaps Blizzard should run look at some metrics and attempt to rebalance the battlegroups on current population numbers.

Arena is a lot of fun now. I don't know if it's because of the gear reset, or if it's just the way conquest points are rewarded, but it seems fun rather than a chore.

PvP is a bit broken on my battlegroup. Queues are way too long to make it your focus unless you've got something to do in your downtime. I'm not sure if opening up cross-battlegroup BGs would relieve or compound that problem, but something needs to be done. Perhaps Blizzard should run look at some metrics and attempt to rebalance the battlegroups on current population numbers.

I've been told many times over that Blizzard already did this. I have no idea if it's true. Have yet to see any official word on it. It's all hearsay for me, at this point.

Similar to you, I'm finding arena fun this time around. I used to fucking detest it. It's still horribly unbalanced - way too much Rock Paper Scissors and the game just is not made for small-scale PvP - but I'm enjoying it, anyway. Oddly enough, I find I hate rated BGs, even though I was really looking forward to it. Maybe I'll like it more once my guild is all geared up and we don't have to deal with PUGs anymore.

PvE-wise, I'm really enjoying the heroics as a DPS (arms warrior). I found tanking in WOTLK fun, but once I realized I could basically faceroll, it was boring as hell. In Cataclysm it looks pretty intimidating. I'm probably going to try tanking soon, though. Been building up a set.

Haven't done any raids, but my DPS set is ready!! Soon as my guild catches up.

Also, for those who find the pop culture references annoying just don't touch it with a bargepole.

Yeah it's the worst it's ever been, and I honestly have no clue how some of the people earlier in this thread (before the game actually came out when all we had was the beta) could say with a straight face that this stuff ISN'T forced down your throat at every turn, unless they just decided to rewrite every single quest in the game for the retail release.

Still, fun overall. I need to cool down playing it, though. Not because I'm getting burned out already, but because I'm in grad school and classes started up last week! So, I'll probably stop soon, except to play very casually.

I got to 85 a week ago, I'm playing a bear tank now with ilvl 346... I find REALLY hard to tank heroics for now, but mostly because this is my first character and I had no previous experience, so I'm messing up pulls and bosses all the time.

I'm also playing cat in PvP, it has been EXTREMELY frustrating because horde in my battle group is useless. I don't know if all the good players are in rated BGs, but damn it's infuriating to lose because half of the team have no clue what to do.

Now I'm afraid of what 4.0.6 brings us... nerfs all around for feral in DPS, we'll see how it goes but I foresee that I won't be able to hold aggro when playing with 14k+ DPS guild mates. I guess it's their fault if they don't watch the aggro meter, but I'm sure I'll hear some shit about losing it.

Feral druids are, ahem hem, overpowered right now. SOMETHING needs to be done, for sure. Either druids should be nerfed, or other classes should be buffed. I'm of the opinion that the latter is the superior option, but Blizzard often isn't. Though one might argue that feral druids DID get buffed from Wrath to Cataclysm, and now they're going back to not overpowered. It's all a matter of perspective, I suppose.

Also, as I feared, I do indeed hate phasing with a fiery passion. It turns WoW into a single-player game, which is absolutely NOT why I play it. It is the worst. As someone who wasn't there for the initial rush (i.e., I started playing Cataclysm a couple weeks after it came out), most of the areas with heavy phasing were an empty wasteland for me, as far as players go, until I hit the final phase.

I'm all for being able to solo, but being forced to solo is the absolute worst thing. I'd rather be forced to group, even if it does make the game more "difficult" because you have to actually GET a group.

Am I the only one who's sick of all these dumb vehicle quests? SOME OF THEM are okay, but most are just stupid wastes of time, and I'd rather kill 10 mobs because it's faster. (It makes me sad that I would actually prefer killing 10 mobs!)

The camel fight in HoO makes me want mounted combat more than ever. I wonder if Blizzard is testing the grounds. I know they had jousting or whatever during Wrath, but I quit before that came out, so I don't know how close it was to REAL mounted combat.

My bear mounting that camel... never gets old, I always chuckle a little bit.

I got to 85 a week ago, I'm playing a bear tank now with ilvl 346... I find REALLY hard to tank heroics for now, but mostly because this is my first character and I had no previous experience, so I'm messing up pulls and bosses all the time.

I'm also playing cat in PvP, it has been EXTREMELY frustrating because horde in my battle group is useless. I don't know if all the good players are in rated BGs, but damn it's infuriating to lose because half of the team have no clue what to do.

Now I'm afraid of what 4.0.6 brings us... nerfs all around for feral in DPS, we'll see how it goes but I foresee that I won't be able to hold aggro when playing with 14k+ DPS guild mates. I guess it's their fault if they don't watch the aggro meter, but I'm sure I'll hear some shit about losing it.

Don't forget you gained Thrash from 81-85. That and swipe are on separate 6 second cooldowns, and it's super easy to hold multiple target aggro. If things really go wrong, use your berserk, mangle spam with berserk will not only keep all the mobs on you, but you'll do a crap ton of damage.

If it's a problem with staying alive, it may be more your healers problem. But if you've got aggro on all targets, it's a lot easier on the healer.

Yeah... but when CC is close to the rest of the pull I cant swipe or thrash, just use demoralizing roar and tab lacerate. But the worse is pulling without rage... maybe I should use enrage, but the extra damage I take sucks in some trash mobs in heroics.