Sign in to follow this  
Thompson

Cataclysm

So I found myself trying to mouse over mobs while watching the video.

:getmecoat

I need help. . .

I thought the video itself was pretty terrible. He skipped or didn't mention some huge changes that we're on-screen also should've CTRL+Z to remove the UI and scrolled all the way to first person view. Worrying about his talents and binds. wtf!? and "Let us see you kill something" Oh yeah because that's the most interesting part.

SO glad I never got sucked into WoW. I am immune to Actiblizzon! Mua ha ha!

...Don't anybody actually inform me of what Paragon is doing with City of Heroes/Villains: Going Rogue though, I might have a lapse in judgment...

Everyone seems to have at least that ONE game they shouldn't play, all it will take to remind them of why they stopped is dropping $15 or a couple of hours into it again or whatever, but as long as distance is making the thumbs grow fonder we can feel that slight tug...

Oh man, that video is terrible indeed. It's like they videotaped a guy trying to show his friends the latest game in a new series they all love while he was still playing at the same time.

The actual content of the game seems cool, I suppose, though I don't really know anything about WoW.

Right now I'm going through the entire old world again to experience everything one last time before the cataclysm sweeps the Barrens away :) It's absolutely great to see everything again. The one thing World of Warcraft is so stellar in is its presentation of a big, breathing, detailed world, contintents full of colours and creatures. So immersive!

OK, for those of you who don't like that video never go to GiantBomb.com because that is basically what all of their content is.

Yeah didn't like the video. The commentary seemed confused and ill-informed too (even I remember the lore better than they do). I don't doubt that the official trailers will heavily entice me. I must try to resist.

Rodi, I agree. What WoW does better than any other MMO, and most other video games even, is give real personality and sense of place to the beautiful landscapes and locations. Exploration was the most enjoyable play-mode for me in that game.

I have to agree with the others, This is probably not the best source of information regarding Cataclysm.

WoW.com has an entire page dedicated to information regarding Cataclysm. Also they sometimes stream the beta live. (Worgen starting zone last time I saw it)

If your looking for a higher quality overview of the new stuff in the beta, Escapist's Greg Tito and John Funk are doing a screenshot walkthrough of the Goblin starting zone.

Every time anyone mentions cataclysm I think of the excellent expansion for homeworld.

I have the same with MW2. That stands for mechwarrior 2 and not modern warfare 2.

Is this a sign I'm getting old?

I think the video was good, considering it's audience. Giant bomb quick look videos aren't meant to be comprehensive studies on a game, just something to give you an overall idea of the content. They touched on a lot of the key components, and summed up changes for people that have been out of the game for a long time. They covered a lot of bases really well, and hopefully will have more later, but if you're looking for comprehensive content aimed at WotLK players then you'd be better off reading the wow blogs.

I think the video was good, considering it's audience. Giant bomb quick look videos aren't meant to be comprehensive studies on a game, just something to give you an overall idea of the content. They touched on a lot of the key components, and summed up changes for people that have been out of the game for a long time. They covered a lot of bases really well, and hopefully will have more later, but if you're looking for comprehensive content aimed at WotLK players then you'd be better off reading the wow blogs.

Exactly, this isn't supposed to be an in depth view of everything in the expansion video, go listen to The Instance podcast if you want that.

Every time anyone mentions cataclysm I think of the excellent expansion for homeworld. I have the same with MW2. That stands for mechwarrior 2 and not modern warfare 2.

Is this a sign I'm getting old?

God I hope not, because I have both of those same problems... I may have missed the birth of PC gaming, but I hit the scene right about when Mechwarrior 3 came out, so players were making comparisons and I picked up the acronym.

I am terrible at Homeworld, but the first game's campaign was one of those bizarre hallmark game things that make me tear up when I think about the effect it had on me.

secretly, the answer is probably yes *sigh*

It reminded me that I still have no interest in mmos anymore :P

Pretty much this. I think a substantial amount of quitters didn't stop playing WoW because the content was bad or boring, but because they got bored of the whole concept. Especially in MMOs like WoW, where cooperation has become almost non-existant outside of (raid) instances. For me, that's the key point why EVE is still going strong: interaction and cooperation is a must and basically makes for a better game. In WoW, guilds are special colored chat channels and an additional stash your resident fishing bot guy uses to store his fish. Even raids have PUG character now. This is not a casual equals noob rant. I am just trying to say that the glue holding my WoW experience together was my small guild of tight friends. When that slowly dissolved and the general trend became "guild/raid equals drama equals not a game anymore", I was gone despite all the great content they implemented during the Northrend expansion.

That being said, I will probably do a horde playthrough (never got around to do this) from 1 to 80 during the last two months before addon release and then a Goblin Mage playthrough at some point after the expansion hit. Basically trying to have a singleplayer RPG experience in a familiar setting and then watch it being overhauled completely.

I would wait to do the horde play through till after, sure you'll miss the old content as it was, but tbh you wouldn't be having an authentic experience either way as the world has changed dramatically since vanilla. From what I've seen of the new zones, they seem to have mostly just improved those old zones, adding phasing and cut scenes and better quests. Also, there will be at least 3 different leveling tracks to 40 for horde as the zones link better without forcing you to travel all over.

To your point on guilds, there are going to be some nice features for guilds in Cataclysm that should partially address that. Certain bonuses that are unlocked by different types of progression, whether they're pvp leveling or raiding focused.

Pretty much this. I think a substantial amount of quitters didn't stop playing WoW because the content was bad or boring, but because they got bored of the whole concept. Especially in MMOs like WoW, where cooperation has become almost non-existant outside of (raid) instances. For me, that's the key point why EVE is still going strong: interaction and cooperation is a must and basically makes for a better game. In WoW, guilds are special colored chat channels and an additional stash your resident fishing bot guy uses to store his fish. Even raids have PUG character now. This is not a casual equals noob rant. I am just trying to say that the glue holding my WoW experience together was my small guild of tight friends. When that slowly dissolved and the general trend became "guild/raid equals drama equals not a game anymore", I was gone despite all the great content they implemented during the Northrend expansion.

I was just thinking along these same lines, but from a different approach..

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who hates phasing. On the one hand, it's a cool way to give your character a stronger sense of place in the story of the World of Warcraft, but on the other hand, it not only encourages solo play, but discourages group play. Maybe not actively so, but the mere idea of someone standing right next to you in the "physical" world, but at a different point in "time" is just so off-putting to me.

I like soloing, and I like being able to solo, but I really don't like how MMOs don't do their best to try to make people WANT to play in groups, aside from instanced raids and instanced PvP. Out in the big wide open world, everyone just runs around doing their own shit. Occasionally someone might propose an idea, and something might magically happen, but for the most part it's just dudes killin' chickens or whatever unless they're all off in their own little instanced world.

Oh, that was a bit of a rant. Sorry. x:

All that said, I will still get Cataclysm just to play through the revamped old world with a couple friends as a goblin (which I've wanted since the game was released - along with ogres!).

Also, I love EVE, but sadly don't have the time to get into it. I wish a game that had WoW's accessibility and EVE's group play would come along. Maybe that's not really possible. I don't know. \:

Regarding cooperative play and sense of place, I thought one of the great ideas the warhammer mmo did for this in the brief time I played it were the group quests, where if you entered a certain area of a zone some objectives for an ongoing, repeating world quest would pop and everyone in the area could participate, be it killing a bunch of things, a big monster, collecting resources, whatever. I think they were all multi part affairs, and once it was all over it would repeat after a couple minutes. Top performers would get more xp, loot, whatever. Sure, it felt kind of gamey game with the timers and all, but I think if a company like blizzard took the idea and ran with it, with their resources and whatnot, they could do some pretty awesome things in the same vein. Really put you into a spontaneous cooperative experience, make you feel like you're a cog in some big warcraft base, all that stuff.

Those public quests were really awesome and probably my favorite thing about Warhammer (especially the PvP-based ones). Wasn't enough to keep my interest once I realized the core PvP was entirely too structured and not open enough for me (and the PvE was not good enough to make up for it), but fun nonetheless.

It would be nice to see something like them in WoW.

Yup, WoW could gain quite a lot by ripping off the whole public quest thing. Also, the reputation grinds were a lot more rewarding in Warhammer. A good portion of the "old world" factions are worthless (i.e. Desolace, Hinterlands) or not at all adequate when it comes to work vs reward. The only zone they implemented that nicely was the Bloodelf starting area and the rewards were rather "meh". A cape with Stamina? Seriously?

They kinda had it long before Warhammer with the world pvp events, but a more flushed out implementation for questing might be interesting. EPL and Silithus weren't that high traffic, Halaa was great, and Wintergrasp was good as well. The new pvp zone will be in Tarren Mill, which should be nostalgic.

I'd love to see something large scale again like the opening of the AQ gates, or Sunwell.